Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:02 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I read quite a few pages but didn't see anything about what you guys use to raise the bed. Do you get railroad ties, cement blocks, regular wood, etc.? I will be moving into my own house in October and one of my future projects will be having a compost barrel and a small raised garden for tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans and I'm not sure yet what else. Maybe watermelon.
There are many things you can use. We use what would be similar to railroad ties, other people use cement blocks and still some which will be me, next year use raised containers They are a bit on the expensive side but are about 36 inches in height so bending is almost non existent. My daughter uses them now due to her bad knees and back. Watermelon might be a little harder to grow, but you can always try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 03:58 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,485,013 times
Default Planting cold weather crop soon

Hi, gardeners,
Here in Upstate, NY I am getting ready to plant my cold weather veggies: lettuce, spinach, and radish. It will be almost three months before I plant tomatoes and peppers!

Old 03-04-2018, 04:17 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,070,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Hi, gardeners,
Here in Upstate, NY I am getting ready to plant my cold weather veggies: lettuce, spinach, and radish. It will be almost three months before I plant tomatoes and peppers!
Cool! Just remember it didn't happen without pictures. ;-)

Old 05-08-2019, 08:01 PM

Six boxes of lettuce in for two weeks now. Waiting for it to sprout. Chives survived as well as the oregano. The rest go in end of this month. Added my fertilizer mix. Included horse, chicken, cow manure and worm castings (pelletized). Still have the Mel’s mix medium which has been great now for three years.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:02 PM

Well, bed was very successful this year. Lots of tomatoes and peppers. I just cleared it out two weeks ago and am now growing eight squares of leaf lettuce and arugula. We are expecting a frost tonight so I covered the bed with a garden fabric. Hoping to have salad greens into Thanksgiving. Regret not putting in spinach or kale.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:21 PM

1,417 posts, read 725,268 times
I have to admit, I bought the New Square Foot Gardening book and thought is was abysmal. There were several obvious mistakes and I thought the new concept was narrow in its applicability, where as the old method was widely applicable. I am sad that I gave away my original edition, which I thought was a great book. In fact I recommended it several times on my old gardening show and bought many copies of the original book as gifts to gardening novices.

It was unfortunate that Mel never owned up to some of the deficiencies of the system before he passed away and instead continued with the square peg in a round hole methodology of application. I was hoping the new book would do just that, but sadly, no.

But to be clear I love the original square foot gardening method overall and utilize it with the crops it makes sense for. Mel did the world a good service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden