U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 01:21 PM

955 posts, read 3,259,353 times

Advertisements

I am new to this but think it sounds great! I am planning a raised bed and may incooperate the square foot gardening! Can someone give me a very simple breakdown of how many plants go per squre foot section?

cucumbers
tomatoes
lettus heads
onions
peppers
melons
herbs
peas
greenbeans
strawberries (may go in a seperate bed)

are there certain things that should not be planted close to other things? I am just confused as a traditional garden they say plan 12 inches apart.. etc... If I can minimize watering, improve production, and decrease weeds Awesome!

We are thinking of doing two 4x8 raised beds (plus maybe a strawberry bed) - wondering about materials too - maybe a treated arsnic free lumbar in 2x12? Cedar is so spendy!

anyone want to help out a total new-bee with really easy info here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 02:26 PM

24,720 posts, read 59,631,443 times
DO you put a bottom on the box?

Does the grid just lay on top of the bedding, or does it actually divide the soil? If it just lays on top, why cant you use string or paint to mark out the squares?

We will be using compost from out local municiality. They tkae all the leaves grass clippings etc that peopple put into their compost trash and compost it. Then they sell/give it away. Anyone see any prooblem with that?

It seems like if you were to buy the lumber, the compost, the vermiculite, the moss, then pay for water, pesticides, a fence, etc, the vegetables that your grow would cost $342 each. Fortunately we have plenty of lumber and free compost. We probably will nto use vermeculite since water is not a problem. Maybe mix in a little vermeculite and moss, but not 1/3 1/3 1/3. We will probably use 6-8 4'x8' boxes for vegetables. MAybe we will do this in the front yard for flowers and bury the edge of the boxes so they do not show. Maybe we can just grow ground cover around the edges.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 AM

9,491 posts, read 13,353,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
I am new to this but think it sounds great! I am planning a raised bed and may incooperate the square foot gardening! Can someone give me a very simple breakdown of how many plants go per squre foot section?

cucumbers~2
tomatoes~4
lettus heads~4
onions~16
peppers~1
melons~1
herbs~depends on the type
peas~8
greenbeans~9
strawberries (may go in a seperate bed)~4

are there certain things that should not be planted close to other things? I am just confused as a traditional garden they say plan 12 inches apart.. etc... If I can minimize watering, improve production, and decrease weeds Awesome!

We are thinking of doing two 4x8 raised beds (plus maybe a strawberry bed) - wondering about materials too - maybe a treated arsnic free lumbar in 2x12? Cedar is so spendy!

anyone want to help out a total new-bee with really easy info here?
Good & bad companions for vegetables | Tips & Techniques ~companion planting chart
Have fun.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:51 AM

955 posts, read 3,259,353 times
Thank you!! I planted early spring veggies this weekend

Old 05-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 7 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,504,773 times
Finally. I finally got my first square foot bed completed. I would like to make 1 more at least. I went shopping today for seeds and plants. The plants were so much fun. I asked everyone at the nursery tons of questions.

When I got to the seed section the guy started laughing at me because they sell fresh seed by the pound. When he said how much and I answered "oh about 20-30 seeds" he thought I was nuts, lol. Oh well I am doing tis by the book. I can modify next year after I learn a little this year.

I think I got carried away with the plants because they came in 4 packs and I wanted to try a few different varieties. I'll have to figure something out.

Can't wait to plant.

Please post pictures of your gardens if you can. It would be great to see. I will post some pics next week.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 7 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,504,773 times
Default My First garden Pictures

Woo Hoo. I am finally doing my first veggie garden. I am doing the Square Foot Garden method in hopes of learning a little about gardening and not making it too much work for me to handle. My DH helped me build the box for my 1st 4x4 box. We used leftover pressure treated wood that was a 2x6 board. DH cut it down to 4 4foot sections and then we screwed it all together to make a box.

Here is the box with the weed cloth in place.

While I made the soil mix which is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 coarse vermiculite, and 1/3 compost my DH installed 2 7 foot pieces of rebar and a 4 foot piece of rebar to connect the poles. Then he painted them green.

Next I filled the box with the mix. We then used leftover electric fence wire for the grids and also for the vine veggies. We screw these down to the wood. Here is my first box. I would like to have at least 1 more.

I was short by a little compost to fill my box so I will have to get some more. Now the fun part. I get to go to the nursery and pick out plants and seeds. I talked to anyone who would talk to me and I asked tons of questions.
I know I bought too much but I am so excited.

I bought 4 kinds of Green Bean seeds- Blue Lake Pole, Kentucky Wonder Pole, Kentucky Dreamer Bush, and Mountain Bush.

I bought 2 kinds of Cucumber seeds- Long Green Cuke, Boston Pickling, and 1 kind of Cucumber plant- Spacemaster Cucumber.

I bought 4 varieties of Tomato Plants- Burpee Big Boy, Tomato Juliet, Amish Paste, and a Patio Tomato.

I bought 3 kinds of Pepper Plants- Red Sweet, Orange Bell, and Green Pepper.

I also bought a Summer Squash, Basil, Lemon Balm, ans Stevia.

I know I went a little crazy but I wanted to try a variety to see what works and what doesn't. I will be keeping a journal so I know what to modify for next year.

Back to the garden. I picked up another bag of Mushroom compost so I mixed a 5 gallon bucket of the compost, a 5 gallon bucket of the vermiculite, and a 5 gallon bucket of the peat moss. Here I am making my mix to add to the garden.

Just a FYI that I read. If you want to do a smaller mix. For 1 4x4 garden box you can use 4 5 gallon buckets of "each" of the 3 ingredients for a total of 12 5 gallon buckets.

Then I planted my Green Bean vines, 4 climbing Cucumber plants, 4 Patio Cukes, and 2 kinds of the Bush Beans. I will plant Bush Beans every 2 weeks for a consecutive harvest(I hope, lol). I used thick craft sticks and a black magic marker to mark my plants.

My first plants are in.

I may have to add more string to the rebar to hold the vines up but I can add that anytime. Next week I hope to plant some tomatoes and peppers. I also need another box, you know for all the extra veggies I got, lol.

I just wanted to share my process for anyone interested. I am doing this mostly by the book so if you can make any suggestions please do. Have a great day.

Lisa

Last edited by ylisa7; 05-17-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 03:26 PM

18,094 posts, read 20,063,548 times
Perfect just like I knew it would be YLisa! Great job from both of you.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:33 PM

2,515 posts, read 4,264,704 times
here is something I will have to admire from afar...too busy this summer to start a garden. Hopefully next year tho.
I really like some of the ideas that have been mentioned so far by several of you. Never knew that chives were a natural deterrent for critters;
and I never thought of using left over electrical wiring for tie-ups and vine supports.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:23 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,485,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
here is something I will have to admire from afar...too busy this summer to start a garden. Hopefully next year tho.
I really like some of the ideas that have been mentioned so far by several of you. Never knew that chives were a natural deterrent for critters;
and I never thought of using left over electrical wiring for tie-ups and vine supports.
Same here I wanted to get mine going this year but with just buying the house too many other chores and projects to get done. The upside of living in San Diego though is I can work on it during the winter months and start growing early or even start a batch late in the summer if I get the time.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:47 AM

18,094 posts, read 20,063,548 times
Grab a bucket and put a plant in it to let it grow. When the day comes where I no longer can have my garden I am going to be so sad not being able to grow stuff.

Good news here is even though we are dipping into the 30's tonight we will have a whole week with no rain in the 70's. I hope the weatherman is not story telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden