Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 AM

8,064 posts, read 17,957,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Maybe those are the kind I have. I've been running the drip hose every afternoon lately, so maybe I should stop that.

How about pruning the Navajo type? Do you do a lot of that?
I haven't yet. I just planted them last year and lost two through overwatering. The remaining plant recovered but I didn't want to cut it back due to the stress it was previously under.

It's starting to "wake up" and grow new leaves now. The Navajo blackberry canes are self-supporting and don't need to be tied. It's a thornless blackberry plant with large, firm berries. Before the watering problem, the little chum actually produced quite a few lovely berries! I'm glad it could be saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 PM

830 posts, read 2,704,172 times
I went looking all over the internet after you posted this and did see that Navajo is thornless. Mine aren't. They are upright and self-supporting, but quite thorny. I wish I could ID them. It'll be interesting to see what happens this summer. I'm very hopeful about the little green buds on the couple of them. Blackberry pies, blackberry jam.

And surely if I found desicated berries last August, they were fruiting last year and probably will this year too?

Off topic, but something else that is SO exciting - bulb plants are starting to pop out of the ground amongst the blackberry bushes. Daffodils and tulips. I can't wait to see what they look like.

Good luck with your Navajos!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:40 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,957,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
I went looking all over the internet after you posted this and did see that Navajo is thornless. Mine aren't. They are upright and self-supporting, but quite thorny. I wish I could ID them. It'll be interesting to see what happens this summer. I'm very hopeful about the little green buds on the couple of them. Blackberry pies, blackberry jam.

And surely if I found desicated berries last August, they were fruiting last year and probably will this year too?

Off topic, but something else that is SO exciting - bulb plants are starting to pop out of the ground amongst the blackberry bushes. Daffodils and tulips. I can't wait to see what they look like.

Good luck with your Navajos!
Thanks! It IS exciting, isn't it?! There isn't much info available on the web about the Navajo blackberry plant. It was specially developed in Arkansas, from what little I can find out. All it says is it's a really great blackberry but next to nothing about caring for it, grrrrrrr.

This poor plant has been through the mill. After it survived the over-watering and I nursed it back, it was severely "weed-whacked" by a mentally challenged young man I had hired to do a bit of lawn care for me. I held out little hope but the little bugger started growing back again! It must have awfully good roots!

I hope you have great luck with your blackberry plants!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,844 times
Default Arapaho Blackberries

I purchased some Arapaho blackberry plants and planted them last May. I live in an Apartment so I put them in large pots on my pattio. They grew very quickly and I now have several canes over 10 feet tall. They lost most of their leaves over the winter, but I noticed a couple weeks ago I started to getting a lot of buds. New leaves have started to grow and the canes themselves look to be getting bigger too. Part of the canes look like the bark on a tree but they are mostly green. They are supposed to fruit in early to mid June. I am wondering if they will fruit this year. Does anyone know? Thanks

Old 07-02-2011, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,061 times
Default blackberrys

Help i have blackberry plant this its second year it started off growing good this year and in the last month it looks like its dying it up new shoots and berry's all over it now it looks like it just drying up and i have watered it the new shoots come up and the leaves are rolling up and the red berry's that are on it and drying up can anyone help

Old 07-03-2011, 09:34 AM

32,778 posts, read 36,022,033 times
What is the weather, temperature like where you live. Is it very hot or dry? Have there been significant fluctuations?

How and when do you water? Water a plant overnight or early in the morning. Water slowly and deeply; really soak the ground then let it dry out before watering again.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,227 times
so glad found this site i live in TN moved to new home 2 yrs ago... lady lived here for years and while clearing things out found blackberry vine and a grape vine with base of each plant bout 5 ft apart...when i cleared out area the next season my blackberries seemd to thrive and grape didnt...im not very smart on what to do but want to learn so so bad. i heard that if i take tips of blackberry vine and plant them back in ground they will resprout??? this true?? should i have the blackberry vine and grape vines grow opposite from each other? i know lots questions and am not a computer savy lady but if someone knows of link to send me with info i appreciate it!!! or email me [email]kristinagoode@yahoo.com[/email]
thanks for your time

Old 08-12-2012, 02:09 AM

242 posts, read 463,685 times
I do very little to my blackberry bushes, they were here before my house was, they thrive in spite of deer, rabbits, raccoons et al and spread faster than the weeds. We have three thick blackberry patches in our 2.5 acre clearing, the other nine acres is heavily wooded. I did catch and relocate about 5 black snakes, specifically to get rid of poisonous snakes, rats, et al. It worked quite well. In summer we consider our blackberry patches as "lunch al fresco".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden