Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:54 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,437 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this has been covered - I searched and found some info but not all the reassurance that I need.

I moved into a house in the high desert (zone 8, very dry, 100+ much of the summer, very sandy soil) that has about 10 blackberry bushes along the side of my driveway. They range from about 5 feet down to about 2 feet tall.

When I arrived in August the yard had clearly been unattended for awhile and two of the bushes had desicated blackberries on them. All of them were very messy looking. I figured I'd missed that year's crop and would get some good berries next summer for making pies and whatnot.

Now here it is in February and I'm planning my garden and worried about getting my blackberry bushes to thrive. I found advice about pruning them but have to admit I'm still confused. "Prune the canes" - I'm assuming those are the woody stalks? "Grey canes are last year's and won't fruit again". There are stalks of all colors and types - grey stalks, brownish-red stalks with said desicated berries and brown leaves on them, ancient barky looking stalks, etc.

I went to town cutting these "canes" (I hope?) down and clearing out the dried grass to neaten things up and then I put mulch down around the base of each plant. I left the thicker stalks where they are. I'm going to run my irrigation hose along the row of bushes starting in April probably...

Am I doing this right? It occured to me that by mulching to keep down the grass I might be blocking new canes from coming up? Do they come up from the ground or spring off above-ground? Should I take my mulch off until I see evidence of new canes?

If there were desicated blackberries there, my plants were still alive as of last summer, right? Why didn't they all have berries? Are there any clues that will tell me if my plants are still alive or do I just have to water and wait?

I know that blackberries are considered "invasive" and grow in some areas seemingly no matter what you do to try to stop them! So I'm hoping I can't possibly have killed mine. But then, I've only had experience with blackberries growing wildly along creekbeds and other wet areas, not in this incredibly dry environment.

I'm really looking forward to blackberries from my own yard! Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 01:14 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Water. Blackberry vines love water. Lots and lots of water.

I wouldn't worry much about pruning them, just water the bejeezus out of them and you will get blackberries.

(If you did manage to kill your blackberry vines, please tell us how you did it. We'll give it a try!)

Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

I wouldn't worry much about pruning them, just water the bejeezus out of them and you will get blackberries.

(If you did manage to kill your blackberry vines, please tell us how you did it. We'll give it a try!)
I agree. Blackberries are almost impossible to kill. Prune out any dead or diseased wood if there is any. We have some growing near the house that were probably planted decades ago. It is a bush about 30 by 30. It's just massive and it spreads a little more each year.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:08 PM

But where do the new blackberries come from? Do new canes sprout out from the ground? I'll move the mulch if that's so.

Or are they going to sprout off something that's already there?

How do I know if the wood is diseased?

Thanks. I guess probably I should just stop worrying, water, and wait, right?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
bigcats
Check out UC Davis Ag for info on your black berries and your local ag extension office they should have lots of info on them and answer your questions..
Good luck

Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Blackberries and raspberries are perennial plants that bear fruit on biennial canes. The roots live on indefinitely, but each year they send up canes that generally produce fruit the second season, then die. With a little TLC, the right variety will give you luscious berries for years, in any climate.

It's easy to tell first-year canes from second-year canes. First-year canes have green stems, while second-year canes have a thin, brown bark covering them.

Pruning is a vital part of maintaining a healthy blackberry planting. This practice greatly inhibits the spread of blackberry diseases and improves fruit quality and yield. During the summer months, regularly remove all new canes that emerge outside the desired plant area. This improves light penetration and air circulation for the canes will fruit next year. Also remove any canes that show obvious signs of insect or disease injury. In the late winter or early spring, before the buds break, remove all of the old canes that fruited the previous year. Again, remove canes that have emerged outside of the desired growth area. Maintaining a row will assure adequate light penetration and air circulation to promote healthy cane growth and reduce disease problems. Only the most vigorous canes, those with the greatest height and basal diameter, should be left in the row. Continue thinning until only four to five canes per foot of row length remain. These remaining canes should be attached to the trellis wires with twine. Finally, remove all of the plant waste from the field. Plant waste can harbor diseases and insects that may attack the healthy canes.

Go to the library or look online for more information. Just Google "growing blackberries" and you will have more info than you will know what to do with. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
But where do the new blackberries come from?
There's a daddy blackberry and a mommy blackberry and when they love each other very much...

From About.com:
Maintaining Bearing Blackberry Plants

* FALL
o Prune out all canes that bore fruit, shortly after harvest. (It’s advisable to dispose of all clippings, either by burning or taking to the dump. Dead canes can spread disease.)

* EARLY SPRING
o Thin canes to about 5 - 7 per plant.
o Prune side branches on remaining canes to about 12 inches or 12
buds.
o Tie the pruned canes to your fencing.

Blackberry bushes Video – 5min.com

Old 03-09-2009, 11:49 PM

I noticed this weekend a couple of my blackberry bushes have little green buds on them

Old 03-10-2009, 10:08 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

It depends on the variety. If the OP lives in a place with a lot of 100-degree days, chances are pretty fair that the blackberry hybrid that grows there does NOT like a lot of water.

I live in a hot, semi-arid climate and planted Navajo blackberry plants. I just watered once a week and mulched like other plants but I lost one. I figured out it was the water and the other plants recovered and began to thrive when I cut back on the water and removed a lot of the mulch. Some of the hybrids do NOT want water.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 PM

Maybe those are the kind I have. I've been running the drip hose every afternoon lately, so maybe I should stop that.

How about pruning the Navajo type? Do you do a lot of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden