Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 PM

1,791 posts, read 6,496,028 times

Advertisements

I posted this earlier on another thread but since I received no response I thought I would post a separate one.

So you may recognize my orchid that I posted earlier in another thread. Well, one of the three flowers had fallen off so I decided to fertilize the plant. One day I noticed two sprigs growing out of the some of the old nodes from the stalk and now I have about 6 buds forming. I don't know if the fertilizing had anything to do with it but I am very excited to see this happen. Has this ever happened to anyone? Also, I think I read once not to turn the flowers away from the light, is this right? The one flower on the plant is facing away from nearby light although does receive indirect light from a neighboring window. Once the new flowers have completely bloomed can I turn the flower so they are in sight and not facing my back french doors? Thanks for your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Orchid question-picture-004.jpg   Orchid question-picture-005.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 11:36 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,023,719 times
Citydweller,..

your moth ( Phalaenopsis ) orchid is one of several species which will continuously produce flowers from dormant buds along the stem as long as the stem is not removed after the initial flower spike fades...

While the addition of fertilizer may enhance flower production..the plant will push additional spikes on its own...I also had several specimens of this genera..and all of them would do exactly as yours is..

As for placement,..indirect light is best for these guys..Generally you can tell if they like their spot by the foliage color..A healthy medium dark green is what you look for on happy plants..If the spot is too shady,..you'll start to notice very dark leaves..with newly emerging leaves looking "stretched out"..

Pale green foliage usually indicates that the spot is too bright..

While these can be great for beginners,..they can be tempermental,..the most important thing to assure continued success; keep plants warm..both during the day and at night..( 70-85 during the day,..60-70 at night respectively..) keep them moist, not wet, and keep the humidity around them high..

my own specimens were placed just inside an east facing interior wall with indirect light from a southern patio window..and they loved it..untill i accidentally moved them.. they quickly showed their disgust with the minor change in position..so if yours seem happy where they are at,..let them be,unless you notice stress in the foliage..New growth is usually a sure sign of content..again though, they can be fussy..and suddenly commit suicide..

As for fertilizing..im assuming that you used a fish emulsion or orchid fert for them?..either are good..just apply sparingly..too much is worse then too little good luck

Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 AM

thanks for the info. this and other plants receive a western exposure which is really good as all the trees in the back yard have shed their leaves thus I have great sunlight during the winter. during the summer i usually pull down the blind to filter out the scorching sunlight and provide indirect light. i was out of orchid food so i just used miracle grow which hopefully is ok.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
thanks for the info. this and other plants receive a western exposure which is really good as all the trees in the back yard have shed their leaves thus I have great sunlight during the winter. during the summer i usually pull down the blind to filter out the scorching sunlight and provide indirect light. i was out of orchid food so i just used miracle grow which hopefully is ok.
Miracle Grow should be fine as a "stand-in", but as si33 said...don't over-do!!

I used to advise clients that orchids will do better if you "ignore" them more than "coddling" them. (not to say ignore them totally, & I am talking about every-day orchids like your Phael & not exotic collector's items!!)

People have a habit of "loving them to death" if you catch my drift!! They fuss & coddle them & end up killing them with kindness!! Growing them indoors, the most important factor is to keep the humidity level up. This can be done by setting their pot on top of a tray of stones & keeping water in the tray just below the level of the pot's bottom & by misting. Heated house interiors have the humidity level of a desert & will cause orchids to start "drying up" with brown leaves & lack-luster growth.

Most are NOT the "tender little fusspots" that they're rumored to be....they are tough plants!! In nature, they have to be tough to grow in trees & be at the mercy of rollercoaster Mother Nature!!

I have tons of orchids in my jungle that are growing on the trees & in containers on the jungle floor. They've gone through 3 hurricanes, & when I was cleaning up all the debris in the aftermath, there they were, happily blooming away under piles of plant debris!!

Indoors, the worst enemy of an orchid is overwatering!! A lot of orchids come growing in moss instead of orchid mix, & water-soaked moss rots their roots fast!!

You're doing good if your Phael is green & sending out more flowers!! You're keeping it happy!! If you look on my profile, I have albums of the orchids in my jungle...

Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 PM

Thanks for all the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden