U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:01 AM

12,382 posts, read 6,195,768 times

Advertisements

just like to know about the two brands? i have been using stihl saws for at least 25 years. and i am mad with stihl new engineering it sux.

Last edited by 2goldens; 02-06-2009 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 05:29 PM

8,804 posts, read 22,958,122 times
I consider them both to be premium brands, I see pros that use both.

What don't you like about the newest Stihl saws?

I have a John Deere (Echo) saw from about 1982-3, don't use it all that hard or much, but it does what needs doing. It's heavier than a Stihl or Husky with the same 55cc and 20" bar.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:43 AM

14,953 posts, read 25,155,332 times
I'd go with the Huskvarna...only because I've been to Huskvarna, Sweden...where they make the things!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:29 AM

563 posts, read 1,748,602 times
I do not know anything about chainsaws but I was in a lawn and power equipment store last weekend and a guy being helped before me brought in an old Stihl chainsaw. The thing must have been 30 years old. He was saying it was previously owned by a lumberjack and he bought it used years ago. Said it still started up on the first pull. He needed the handle or something fixed on it but i overheard the store salemen saying a lot of parts are interchangeable on older models for the newer parts. It made me think that maybe thats a good thing if you do not like the newer designs and engineering, maybe you can refurbish the older ones you prefer and keep them up to speed. Again, I am by no means knowledgable on them so for all I know he was referring to obvious stuff.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:48 AM

11,702 posts, read 26,972,989 times
I too am wondering what engineering changes were made. I have a Husky, and I like it, but haven't owned a Stihl, so can't compare.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:22 AM

i have used stihl for 25 years and the new saws have to much plastic. and have really bad gas cap design i use the old saws that i have and i just keep repairing the old ones. the gas cap has alot of parts that break it's a way overengineered gas cap i do a lot of milling" i have a hudson 36 band mill and mill local westindian mahogany. and will need to upgrade to new chain saws in the future. i know stihl but never had husqvarna saws but know they are a good brand is there some guru out there that has used both and could be honest and say which of the two brands is better. thanks for reply

Old 02-07-2009, 10:43 AM

4,679 posts, read 7,822,817 times
My Husqvarna is now ~20 years old, and still fires up after maybe at most 3-5 pulls, dead cold winter. Pop has an older Stihl, about same age, and it runs great too. No knowledge of new ones, but maybe might be good to look at a very good, well maintained, used model of either? Esp. if don't like what ya see w/ the newer models... As previous poster mentioned, IMHO, can't go wrong really with either. I've a ~5 yo Stihl weadeater, and it likewise runs mighty fine too. FWIW, for those looking, have you held, felt, played with either brand much, various models w/in their lineup? What dealers do ya have nearby - that is important to some folks, having good/friendly/strong support from them. Also, lastly, realize that not all Stihls and not all Huskys are created equal w/in their own brands - some are made in Sweden, some Germany, some elsewhere... and ya also have Pro lines vs. not. Me, I'm type of person that pays the extra up front for better [hopefully!] model, and have it last much more longer [hopefully!].

Old 02-07-2009, 11:07 AM

8,998 posts, read 16,284,983 times
I notice most tree services use Stihl.

Having said that, I have a Husqvarna 445 18" and I love it.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 AM

1,856 posts, read 5,917,840 times
I bought my Stihl new in 2000. I use it every single day to feed my outdoor stove that I burn year round. I have replaced the rope, and the drive gear. Oh, and maybe 30 chains. I don't send them out for power sharpening any more. They last longer when I do it by hand.

The saw still starts on the 3rd pull every time, and likes the cold weather better for starting. I used to bring it in the basement for cold weather, but found that it starts better if it is out in the cold garage.

I know that Husqvarna makes a good saw too, but I didn't like the feel of the balance. It was uncomfortable to me, and the bar dropped down across my pant leg while carrying it. That is the only reason that I wouldn't buy one.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I bought my Stihl new in 2000. I use it every single day to feed my outdoor stove that I burn year round. I have replaced the rope, and the drive gear. Oh, and maybe 30 chains. I don't send them out for power sharpening any more. They last longer when I do it by hand.

The saw still starts on the 3rd pull every time, and likes the cold weather better for starting. I used to bring it in the basement for cold weather, but found that it starts better if it is out in the cold garage.

I know that Husqvarna makes a good saw too, but I didn't like the feel of the balance. It was uncomfortable to me, and the bar dropped down across my pant leg while carrying it. That is the only reason that I wouldn't buy one.
i have 3 stihl saws 026 029 and magnum 44 cc that are at least 10 year old and i am going to hang on to them till their not worth fixing anymore. stihl qualty has gone down hill with their newer saws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden