U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:27 PM

401 posts, read 1,560,289 times

Advertisements

Green giants are a good choice. They give good screening as they do grow fast, and don't get the bagworms that the leylands are getting. I think you will more likely see 1-2 feet of growth per year though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 06:52 PM

425 posts, read 1,203,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post
Green giants are a good choice. They give good screening as they do grow fast, and don't get the bagworms that the leylands are getting. I think you will more likely see 1-2 feet of growth per year though.
Thanks - so far I've heard really only good things about this tree. Now we are just looking for the best price, since we are going to want quite a few.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:13 PM

401 posts, read 1,560,289 times
Sorry for the delay. I would try a nursery, you will usually get a better quality plant there. You could try Adcocks nursery on Sunset lake rd., between Holly Springs and Fuquay, Cary Garden Center on W. Chatham St., or Fairview Garden Center on Holly Springs Rd. I can't think of many other nurseries close by that sell to the public that aren't really expensive.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:51 AM

425 posts, read 1,203,291 times
Thanks "cary native" - we have been looking at nurseries. Have since found out that you can take cutting from the tree and grow more trees! That might be kinda fun to try. Have to get into the house 1st, (April 15th), and then we are looking forward to planting and playing in the dirt!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:32 AM

346 posts, read 1,710,581 times
Have fun! Taking cuttings is a way but you will not have your privacy for a while:>)

Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 11,339 times
Default Fast Growing Tree

Thuja Green Giants (www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiant.htm (http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiant.htm - broken link)) are simply the best trees that you can plant for privacy purposes. Your facts are right; the Green Giants do grow up to 5 ft. per year once their growth is established. The Thuja Green Giants have a subtle fragrance which pervades their surroundings, thus even your neighbor can enjoy these trees without taking offence at being ‘screened out’.
You can check out my online nursery at this link: http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiant.htm (broken link). You can get an idea of how mature Thujas look when planted

Old 07-28-2008, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 13,390 times
Have been doing some research on green giant. It's fast going, fragant and good for privacy. I was thinking of leyland but the guy in the nursery says they tend to go bad from the bottom. If you live in North Carolina...next to angier or Fuquay or Lillington ...you must visit either Broadwell Nursery or Old Stage Road Nursury. I went there today and in Broadwell the green giant cost 25 dollars and are 5 ft. and in old stage road the 3 gal. is 7.50 dollars...7 gal is 15 dollars and 15 gal. is 20 dollars. Broadwell is open from 7 to 5 m-f and 7-1 on sat.
I hope this helps.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 9,777 times
Will the Thuja Giant Tree grow in Phoenix, Arizona. Or are there problems with the heat?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 20,001 times
Default GG's are good but do not buy form thujagardens.com

I think the Green Giant is a great tree, just don't by it from thujagardens.com. The trees they send are about 1/4 the size of the tree they show in there sample picture. The Better Business Bureau give them a giant F with a warning. Look them up at the BBB by their phone number. I support the tree. I just don't want anyone to make the same mistake I made. I think the Green Giant is a great tree, just don't by it from thujagardens.com. The trees they send are about 1/4 the size of the tree they show in there sample picture. The Better Business Bureau give them a giant F with a warning. Look them up at the BBB by their phone number. I support the tree. I just don't want anyone to make the same mistake I made. I am trying to spread the word. Has any one else been cheated by this company. They will not answer email or phone messages after you pay.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:02 PM

898 posts, read 1,502,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustin View Post
Thuja Green Giants (www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiant.htm (http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiant.htm - broken link)) are simply the best trees that you can plant for privacy purposes. Your facts are right; the Green Giants do grow up to 5 ft. per year once their growth is established. The Thuja Green Giants have a subtle fragrance which pervades their surroundings, thus even your neighbor can enjoy these trees without taking offence at being ‘screened out’.
You can check out my online nursery at this link: Thuja Green Giant, Evergreen Trees, Thuja Plicata Arborvitae Trees (http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiant.htm - broken link). You can get an idea of how mature Thujas look when planted
And don't forget to mention the drought resistant nature of this tree, as opposed to the leyland cypress. I put in five or six last year, one gallon trees from that big blue store (about $5 ea) and while they are by no means 5 ft / year yet, they are a full foot bigger and healthy, all of them. This tree was suggested by a landscaper friend after I inquired about planting leylands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden