U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2007, 09:46 AM
 
Location: NE Florida
17,835 posts, read 29,406,664 times
Reputation: 43270

Advertisements

Just curious
I love mowing the yard though many people think I am nuts.
What they don't realize is when I am mowing it is my time lol no phones no dogs
I have come to an "understanding " with the weedwacker and edger
My husband jokes that if I keep "chipping" at the foundation with the weedwacker the house will fall down one day. lol

The yard and garden are my projects though I have to say my husband said "wow I must be learning she let me actually plant this year"

karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2007, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,893,647 times
Reputation: 2000001281
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
Just curious
I love mowing the yard though many people think I am nuts.
What they don't realize is when I am mowing it is my time lol no phones no dogs
I have come to an "understanding " with the weedwacker and edger
My husband jokes that if I keep "chipping" at the foundation with the weedwacker the house will fall down one day. lol

The yard and garden are my projects though I have to say my husband said "wow I must be learning she let me actually plant this year"

karla
I love mowing my own yard and doing yardwork too Karla. But my home now has three acres of lawn and my neighbor and his wife do a summer lawnservice with two dixie choppers. He lost a contract with Lowe's last year and came to my door and asked if I'd let him mow my acreage. I have a riding mower, a beautiful john deere. But I said sure. He charges me $65 every two weeks in the summer and he and his wife work in perfect unity and they crisscross the lawns to thicken them from the previous mowing. An absolutely beautiful job.
He also comes over and on his own volition will trim limbs he doesn't like on my trees, will throw new grass seed down, and do other things!!!
I like, trust, and respect my neighbor Larry so much that I told him whatever he wants to do is fine with me, no permission needed.
I have the most wonderful neighbors around me. I'm so freakin' lucky!

Even though Larry and Helen do the mowing by their request, I do my flowerbeds and my passion is impatiens and red geraniums. I was going to plant them this week when the weather was so warm, but was afraid of a late March freeze. Good thing I waited as it's been giving snow showers intermittently today. But I get peace of mind doing my yardwork too. It is a time to have to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 10:50 AM
 
Location: NE Florida
17,835 posts, read 29,406,664 times
Reputation: 43270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I have a riding mower, a beautiful john deere. But I said sure. He charges me $65 every two weeks in the summer and he and his wife work in perfect unity and they crisscross the lawns to thicken them from the previous mowing. An absolutely beautiful job.
OMG Momark you have a riding mower !!! I am sooo jealous
I would love a riding mower !!! but we don't have a large enough yard lol my husband said he can see it he would be coming home from work and there I would be mowing all the neighbor's lawns lol

$65 every two weeks for 3 acres is a wonderful price even better because they do a wonderful job.
the guy here charges $25 per cut and this is maybe on 1/4 acre lots with a house. I had to use him when I was in Atlanta for 10 days but I didn't think they did as good a job as I do .
I am like you it drives me crazy to see 1 or 2 blades waving in the wind.

You have the "real soft" grass out there don't you?
we have the St Augustine its ok but not like what I call the real grass that you can't help but run barefoot through.
lol as a matter of fact when I go back up north the first thing I do is take my shoes off and walk on the grass

I an going to try impatiens in one of my front beds this year. Most of my yard is full Florida sun all day, but this one bed just gets morning sun so I am going to give it a shot. I have been looking for some of the double impatiens but haven't found them yet
I am so excited I was just out in the back garden and our citrus trees are starting to blossom hopefully this year we will have a good "crop" lol last year we only had 4 grapefruit, 1 navel and 6 or 7 "sweet lemons" It was the first year they were in the ground so it was the creeping year. Hopefully this will be the "leaping year"

I am itching to get out and start working on this years flowers I think I will earmark a few hours either later today or tomorrow to start
momark if you have fence areas I would love to send you some loofah seeds they make great fence cover plus you end up with loofah sponges
let me know
karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,893,647 times
Reputation: 2000001281
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
OMG Momark you have a riding mower !!! I am sooo jealous
I would love a riding mower !!! but we don't have a large enough yard lol my husband said he can see it he would be coming home from work and there I would be mowing all the neighbor's lawns lol

$65 every two weeks for 3 acres is a wonderful price even better because they do a wonderful job.
the guy here charges $25 per cut and this is maybe on 1/4 acre lots with a house. I had to use him when I was in Atlanta for 10 days but I didn't think they did as good a job as I do .
I am like you it drives me crazy to see 1 or 2 blades waving in the wind.

You have the "real soft" grass out there don't you?
we have the St Augustine its ok but not like what I call the real grass that you can't help but run barefoot through.
lol as a matter of fact when I go back up north the first thing I do is take my shoes off and walk on the grass

I an going to try impatiens in one of my front beds this year. Most of my yard is full Florida sun all day, but this one bed just gets morning sun so I am going to give it a shot. I have been looking for some of the double impatiens but haven't found them yet
I am so excited I was just out in the back garden and our citrus trees are starting to blossom hopefully this year we will have a good "crop" lol last year we only had 4 grapefruit, 1 navel and 6 or 7 "sweet lemons" It was the first year they were in the ground so it was the creeping year. Hopefully this will be the "leaping year"

I am itching to get out and start working on this years flowers I think I will earmark a few hours either later today or tomorrow to start
momark if you have fence areas I would love to send you some loofah seeds they make great fence cover plus you end up with loofah sponges
let me know
karla
Thanks Karla but my fences are pretty much mangled right now from all the big limbs that fell during the January Ice storm. I have to repair them still. The grass here is 'soft' I guess, but I wouldn't dare run barefoot through the lawns as the oak trees drop acorns all year long and those HURT LIKE HELL when you step on them barefoot!!! !
Here was last year in the early summer what the lawns looked like and some of my flowers. This year will be even more beautiful because the trees are about 1/3 thinner in their canopies from the ice storm damage and then I had a cherrypicker come out and saw off a lot of damaged limbs as well, so a lot more sun will hit the lawns. I can't wait!
Lawns

Flowers

More flowers looking out from the house, just before the first freeze
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r199/MoMark/FallTreeOct10b.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Marion, IN
8,191 posts, read 27,459,376 times
Reputation: 7078
I have a commercial mower that reaches escape velocity, and a rider that I HATE. I have yet to come to any kind of an understanding with the weed eater, other than "Here honey, see if you can get this *@#%! thing to start!". I like to mow, but he can have the rest of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 04:03 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
17,835 posts, read 29,406,664 times
Reputation: 43270
rofl evey
you should see the edge of my driveway from my "coming to the understanding" with the edger
One of the local kids who has a lawn service just stood and laughed at me while I was trying to figure out how to use it. maybe it was the sparks that kept flying up
lol it doesn't like me and I don't like it
I actually found if I go backwards with the edger it "behaves" itself and doesn't send parts of my drive or curb up at me

momark the impaitents look great that was the effect I was going to try for in my front bed this is the one that I am going to clear out and put them in . there are pansys now but it is getting to hot


here is one of my favorite shots of my back garden form last year
lol I have a lot of work to make it look like that again . the freeze we had hit them hard
karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2007, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,893,647 times
Reputation: 2000001281
What a beautiful yard Karla. I think impatiens will look great in there. I pack them tightly because I like the thick look of just flowersflowersflowers and they'll grow until the first or second freeze. Mine lasted through mid. October 06.
I think that will look fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2007, 12:23 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
17,835 posts, read 29,406,664 times
Reputation: 43270
thanks momark
I would like to do both sides of the door but the other side gets to much sun
I am going to the nursery tomorrow with my sister and her friend, who since they found out I can buy wholesale drag me there when they want plants sigh hopefully they will have a new shipment of impatiens

I also like the packed in look I am not paitent to wait till they fill in

BTW what are the tall wispy plants in the picture.?

karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2007, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,893,647 times
Reputation: 2000001281
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
thanks momark
I would like to do both sides of the door but the other side gets to much sun
I am going to the nursery tomorrow with my sister and her friend, who since they found out I can buy wholesale drag me there when they want plants sigh hopefully they will have a new shipment of impatiens

I also like the packed in look I am not paitent to wait till they fill in

BTW what are the tall wispy plants in the picture.?

karla
Tall whispy plants? Which picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2007, 03:40 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
17,835 posts, read 29,406,664 times
Reputation: 43270
last picture behind the impatiens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top