Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 06:06 PM

2,071 posts, read 11,988,757 times

Advertisements

TJ - Bugs.Pests

You won't find them here in So. Calif. I once liived in OR, and there were many Yellow Jackets in the state. Ive lived in SE WA and encountered plenty of snakes. You aways had to look down. Here in So. Calif. the most you get is a pesyt mosiqutoe once in a blue moon ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 06:26 PM

240 posts, read 1,281,460 times
That certainly wasn't my experience living in SoCal (see post entitled, "States with least pests"), but I suppose it all depends on where in SoCal you live. Mosquitos were the one 'bug' I never saw in SoCal, given its arid climate!

Now, living in coastal southern Oregon, the bugs are few. Outdoor bugs don't really bother me. Even yellow jackets, which definitely have a season around here (but they seem prevalent in most areas). I figure the 'outdoors' is their world, the indoors is mine, so I'll let them live outside as long as they stay there.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:31 PM

2,071 posts, read 11,988,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyu View Post
That certainly wasn't my experience living in SoCal (see post entitled, "States with least pests"), but I suppose it all depends on where in SoCal you live. Mosquitos were the one 'bug' I never saw in SoCal, given its arid climate!

Now, living in coastal southern Oregon, the bugs are few. Outdoor bugs don't really bother me. Even yellow jackets, which definitely have a season around here (but they seem prevalent in most areas). I figure the 'outdoors' is their world, the indoors is mine, so I'll let them live outside as long as they stay there.

Great additude with the Yellow Jackets

Old 03-18-2007, 09:18 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,491,119 times
Paula, there certainly are Yellow Jackets around here! I took my kids to the L.A. Zoo a few years ago. The soda there is served without a lid, because stupid people toss the lids in through the bars to the animals (why?!). Since Yellow Jackets love anything sweet, it became a bad situation. At one point there were five of them buzzing around my then 5-year-old son! Of course, after that nightmare I had him throw the drink away. Except for that unique situation, though, I haven't seen any others except in trash cans at parks (they go into the soft drink cans).

I don't think I could ever live in a place like Florida. Now they have bugs!!!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
TJ - Bugs.Pests

You won't find them here in So. Calif. I once liived in OR, and there were many Yellow Jackets in the state. Ive lived in SE WA and encountered plenty of snakes. You aways had to look down. Here in So. Calif. the most you get is a pesyt mosiqutoe once in a blue moon ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Nevermind the 40 species of VENOMOUS snakes in SoCal. There may be "less" bugs in SoCal, but the ones that are there are potentially lethal. Youre MUCH safer in WA than in CA. Not only does CA have the most venomous snakes, but they also have the most species of scorpions and a HUGE population of black widows. Oh, you also have Africanized bees too (aka "killer bees"). Your info is very misleading and wrong.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,482,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
TJ - Bugs.Pests

I would sure rather put up with bugs where I am, Than have to put up with all the BS in California. I may get bit by a Big Bad Bug sure better than getting shot or stabbed by some gang bang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden