Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 02:14 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times

Advertisements

Lovely photos Jim, what a great garden. I like the idea of an automated sprinkling system but I get so much pleasure from just standing outside in the evening watering the garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
I wish if I know how post pics like these. I seem not being able to follow the instructions that are posted. My simple mind doesn't want to get it.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
I'm growing Green Zebra tomatoes this year for the first time. Can anyone give me some tips on how to know when they are ripe? There are tons of tomatoes on the 7' tall plant, but nothing seems to feel ripe yet and all are green and stripey. I've never had a green zebra tomato before, so I'm not sure what a ripe one looks or feels like!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:23 PM

I planted my first heirloom this year as well, black krim, and I can't tell when it's ready either. The pics says it should be dark red almost black but I picked couple when they were still pink because their skin started to split and they were soft to the touch.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:06 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
One felt soft, so I picked it the other day. Tasted a little unripe. Noticed this morning that one is has turned more of a yellowy green, going to pick that tonight or tomorrow and taste test that one.

I wanted to try Black Krim or Cherokee Purple, but was unable to find any at the plant sale I went to. They were already sold out. Boo! Maybe next year. I do have a purple plum tomato, the shoulders stay green, the rest gets a dark reddish purple. Taste is pretty good. I'm noticing though, that the color is getting darker as the season progresses, perhaps it'll be the same with the Black Krim?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I planted my small garden Memorial Day, due to a cold spring, and now the weather has warmed and it seems to be doing well. It's in a raised bed with an automatic irrigation system. Picked zucchini, snow peas, snap beans already and waiting on the tomatoes, peppers and squash to get ripe.
Your garden looks wonderfully rich and healthy! How did you design your watering system? is it via pipes underground?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:44 PM

I have couple Black Krim getting a very light pink shade, I really would love to see it get darker than that but with the heat, I know the skin will split like the others. I also noticed that the "shoulders" on all my tomatoes remain green, hope it's not something I do.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Your garden looks wonderfully rich and healthy! How did you design your watering system? is it via pipes underground?
Thank you. Got everything from Ace Hardware here, that plastic pipe stuff buried in the soil, then those small pipes you plug into it, then drip heads on those all on a timer. It's connected to the irrigation system here, which is runoff from a cattle ranch so the water doesn't cost me a dime.

I picked these this morning for supper tonight. Now if my tomatoes would just ripen!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
OMG guys! Squash borers got most of my zukes. I am ok with that since I ate a lot of zucchini but I have three pumpkins, and it looks like the borers have eaten their stems as well! The pumpkins are solid orange, but I'm not sure what to do. It is my first time growing pumpkins. Should I just leave them on the vine until it dies or what?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Thank you. Got everything from Ace Hardware here, that plastic pipe stuff buried in the soil, then those small pipes you plug into it, then drip heads on those all on a timer. It's connected to the irrigation system here, which is runoff from a cattle ranch so the water doesn't cost me a dime.

I picked these this morning for supper tonight. Now if my tomatoes would just ripen!
that looks really yummy.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden