Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 PM

492 posts, read 626,332 times

Advertisements

Cover up the veggie's!! I just heard some guy say that he puts a five gallon bucket upside down over his plants (nothing new about that) and then mows his yard and uses his grass clippings as mulch because they produce heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,823,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
Cover up the veggie's!! I just heard some guy say that he puts a five gallon bucket upside down over his plants (nothing new about that) and then mows his yard and uses his grass clippings as mulch because they produce heat.
There no way I can cover, the garden is an acre.....just gonna have to hope for the best tonight.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,194,474 times
Low of 48 here tonight. No damage except the tomatoes will not pollinate below about 55°. I actually saw people wearing coats today in the bright sunshine. It was nippy when I left the house today.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Low of 48 here tonight. No damage except the tomatoes will not pollinate below about 55°. I actually saw people wearing coats today in the bright sunshine. It was nippy when I left the house today.
Dragged out the flannel sheets and put them on the bed again.
Didnt know that about tomatoes not pollinating below 55, interesting!

Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 PM

492 posts, read 626,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
There no way I can cover, the garden is an acre.....just gonna have to hope for the best tonight.
An acre?! Makes me look lazy with my little garden spot! lol

Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,194,474 times
Quote:
There are large rolls of a fine fabric that lets water through but traps heat. Farmers use it to cover 40 acres or more. The store that sold it in Plant City is no longer there. It was an Asgrow-Kilgore store. They don't pollinate well above 95 either. UofF developed varieties for FL summer heat but don't know where to get seed for them now. Burpee seed sold them in the 70's. Down my way tomatoes are really a late summer or early spring crop.

I found a lot of sites selling different kinds of fabric. Most where real pricy. Don't see price here but this will give you an idea of what I described.

http://www.jm-ind.com/nursery/frost_protection.html

Last edited by Nomadicus; 04-24-2012 at 07:26 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
There are large rolls of a fine fabric that lets water through but traps heat. Farmers use it to cover 40 acres or more. The store that sold it in Plant City is no longer there. It was an Asgrow-Kilgore store. They don't pollinate well above 95 either. UofF developed varieties for FL summer heat but don't know where to get seed for them now. Burpee seed sold them in the 70's. Down my way tomatoes are really a late summer or early spring crop.

I found a lot of sites selling different kinds of fabric. Most where real pricy. Don't see price here but this will give you an idea of what I described.

J&M INDUSTRIES HORTICULTURE/NURSERY SUPPLIES
The weather didnt get as cold as predicted last night, must have been a case of blackberry winter.
I've seen that fabric before, never had a need for it, but I sure will keep it in mind!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
man, you guys are so funny, mid or high 40s here and we hardly use blankets. We have put the shorts away for a few days, or we did, it has warmed up the past day or so.

I didn't know about the tomatoes either, I knew they were slow to porduce in cooler weather, but didn't realize they would not pollinate below 55.

Nita

Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
An acre?! Makes me look lazy with my little garden spot! lol
Me too, but I get all we need and always have some to can or freeze so I will just relax and enjoy the garden we have.

This year, for the first time, I am doing some veggies in pots. I started to say some pot planting, but decided if I worded it this way, there may have been a lot of people asking for my address....

I have cukes, jalapenos and bells in pots. The only problem, I really didn't use enough soil so although everything looks great I will probably have cukes that are not even visable from the outside of the pots. My herbs are amazing so far, we will see how long that lasts...

Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
man, you guys are so funny, mid or high 40s here and we hardly use blankets. We have put the shorts away for a few days, or we did, it has warmed up the past day or so.

I didn't know about the tomatoes either, I knew they were slow to porduce in cooler weather, but didn't realize they would not pollinate below 55.

Nita
Its a different kind of cold here, than up north, because we are so close to water.
Its very damp, which is hard on my arthritis.
In other news, we have 12 turkey chicks that hatched today!
The turkey hen is a free range kind of gal, so we scooped them up and put them in a baby wading pool lined with straw, they are here with me in the office.
We werent expecting them for a few more days, so we werent quite ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden