U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2012, 02:42 PM

23,444 posts, read 15,929,528 times
^I've been hoarding bacon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 PM

266 posts, read 170,361 times
OH, you guys are making me hungry for a BLT!!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 AM

5,158 posts, read 3,919,435 times
Well the nights have been in the 30's and the soil is still cool. Cucumbers, onions and squash I planted are not making it, and the green beans and snow pea seeds I planted are doing nothing. Tomato plants and pepper plants seem to be doing ok. I'll have to wait to June 1 to replant some things though when the soil warms up, still too cool here at night. Although it's been so nice to have the windows open and great sleeping weather not so good for the vegetable garden.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:14 AM

15,650 posts, read 15,018,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I got 5 today and should have many more now soon. Eying the bacon in the fridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
^I've been hoarding bacon.
BLT's and summer gardens go hand in hand. Yum....I can't wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well the nights have been in the 30's and the soil is still cool. Cucumbers, onions and squash I planted are not making it, and the green beans and snow pea seeds I planted are doing nothing. Tomato plants and pepper plants seem to be doing ok. I'll have to wait to June 1 to replant some things though when the soil warms up, still too cool here at night. Although it's been so nice to have the windows open and great sleeping weather not so good for the vegetable garden.
Oh that stinks. I got a jump start on my garden this year also. So far my tomatoes look OK...well most of them. I think I am going to lose a couple of cucumber plants but I have more seeds. My peas are good and my green beans are hanging in there. On a good note I am eating spinach and lettuce every day

Strange that your warmest weather plants, tomatoes and peppers, are good. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they are but those are the things I plant last. Next week I will plant my peppers. They are getting flowers on them in the pots.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 PM

131,664 posts, read 41,094,970 times
I picked more tomatoes today and am thinking about looking for a sale on bacon. Now to plan on disguising a trellis with burpless cucumbers for the fall...After all the flowers are pretty.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 PM

5,158 posts, read 3,919,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Strange that your warmest weather plants, tomatoes and peppers, are good. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they are but those are the things I plant last. Next week I will plant my peppers. They are getting flowers on them in the pots.
I know. Of course it could be worse, a friend at 9,000 feet planted a huge garden during the warm spell a few weeks ago. Well, it snowed there last night. Everything's gone.

I'll just get some more cucumbers and squash and plant them. At $1.00 per 6 pack it's no big loss.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:18 PM

15,650 posts, read 15,018,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I know. Of course it could be worse, a friend at 9,000 feet planted a huge garden during the warm spell a few weeks ago. Well, it snowed there last night. Everything's gone.

I'll just get some more cucumbers and squash and plant them. At $1.00 per 6 pack it's no big loss.
Oh no....that's a heartbreak.

Yeah I don't mind trying to plant only because my garden is tiny in comparison. I feel for your friend.

Wow...good deal on your plants You could probably plant lettuce, spinach and peas in your area right now

Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 PM

I used to plant peas and watch them come up through the snow. Missed that photo op.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:24 PM

5,502 posts, read 3,810,313 times
For the first yr, I have vegetables in pots...and to my surprise they are doing excellent.

One question though: anyone had a CHERRY tomato plant be indeterminate? (meaning keeps growing at the tips). Most cherry/bush tomatos keep a bush shape but mine is now 4 feet tall/staked and STILL growing...not complaining, just wondering if I should pinch the tips off...

ALL the veggies in containers are growing much taller/bigger than when sown in soil...eggplant almost 4 ft...and harvests are going to be huge ie eggplant has 6 on it and it is just May. Same for cukes...If I had known how great container gardens would be I might have never tilled etc. Better for the low back and no weeds, diseases, etc.

gbh

Old 05-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Lots of cherry tomato varieties are indeterminate. I thought I was planting determinate tomatoes in pots and turns out the are indeterminate. I can't stake now so they are growing across the ground like cucumbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden