U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,727,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Does anyone have any idea why my zucchini is producing mostly male flowers? I have 3 large plants and they bloom like crazy, but probably 85% of the blooms are male so I'm not getting hardly any zuchs.

BTW, Kshe, I'm jealous of your big gardening space. We moved last year to a house we love, but the yard is small. Wonder what my husband would do if I said, "You know what? We need to move to a house with a bigger yard...."
The downside to having a big garden is that other things get neglected this time of year.
My house looks horrid, and with what I do for a living, thats just kinda .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 AM

184,604 posts, read 75,133,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
enjoy every bite and think about us, up here, in NWA. We don't have any wipe yet, but we are close. The other night, when we got home, I did find 4 grape ones that had wipened. The other 100 are green. I say 100, heck, I am not counting but there are a lot of grapes and romas.

I spotted my first squash this morning, now let's hope it was pollinated, not like last year, when we got lots of babies, but they never matured.

Nita
I just picked a dozen red and three yellow tomatoes. There will be bacon in the house tonight.

Do you see bees working the squash? Lack of bees will cause that. That's why the man who plants 40 or more acres of just zucchini and that many more of cucumbers has a be colony of his own in the middle of his fields.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 AM

15,210 posts, read 16,123,216 times
Quote:
enjoy every bite and think about us, up here, in NWA. We don't have any wipe yet, but we are close. The other night, when we got home, I did find 4 grape ones that had wipened. The other 100 are green. I say 100, heck, I am not counting but there are a lot of grapes and romas.

I spotted my first squash this morning, now let's hope it was pollinated, not like last year, when we got lots of babies, but they never matured.

Nita
Do you ever pollinate them yourself with a little paintbrush or Q-tip? You just get some pollen from inside of the male flowers and rub it on the inside part of the female flowers. Slightly kinky but sometimes Mother Nature needs an assist. The flowers bloom in the morning and are usually closed by noon.

As I said above, I'm getting mostly male flowers so I haven't had much to pollinate.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 AM

15,210 posts, read 16,123,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The downside to having a big garden is that other things get neglected this time of year.
My house looks horrid, and with what I do for a living, thats just kinda .
I'd much rather be mucking around outside and canning vegetables than cleaning house! And if you saw my house, you'd know it was true. Not that I have enough veggies to can--just that I can always find something to do outside.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'd much rather be mucking around outside and canning vegetables than cleaning house! And if you saw my house, you'd know it was true. Not that I have enough veggies to can--just that I can always find something to do outside.
I hear ya, this time of year, I would much rather be outside.
When it gets too hot to breathe down here, in another month or so, I figure the house will still be here, you know?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I hear ya, this time of year, I would much rather be outside.
When it gets too hot to breathe down here, in another month or so, I figure the house will still be here, you know?
And so will the shade under the bridge on the fishing catwalk. Need some fried fish to go with them veggies.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
And so will the shade under the bridge on the fishing catwalk. Need some fried fish to go with them veggies.
Made beer battered catfish over the weekend with collard greens I canned last fall, garlic cheese grits casserole, and German style cucumber salad in sour cream and dill.
That was good eatin'!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 AM

69,537 posts, read 79,825,470 times
Quote:
I just picked a dozen red and three yellow tomatoes. There will be bacon in the house tonight.

Do you see bees working the squash? Lack of bees will cause that. That's why the man who plants 40 or more acres of just zucchini and that many more of cucumbers has a be colony of his own in the middle of his fields.
I know about the bees or lack of same, last year along with the ungodly heat we had no bees. I didn't see the bee a couple days ago, but I heard one overhead, so let's hope this is a different year.

Nita

Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I know about the bees or lack of same, last year along with the ungodly heat we had no bees. I didn't see the bee a couple days ago, but I heard one overhead, so let's hope this is a different year.

Nita
If you were not so far away my favorite commercial farmer would loan you a few.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:38 AM

69,537 posts, read 79,825,470 times
Quote:
If you were not so far away my favorite commercial farmer would loan you a few.
thanks for a smile this morning!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or