U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 PM

184,251 posts, read 75,082,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
great, I still have none, but do have blossoms. I just wish those bees would visit a little more. I am about to pick some jalapenos I think. I am still waiting for tomotes to ripen. I must have a hundred or more (I am not kidding) but they are still very green.

Nita
Try putting out some watermelon rind in the garden for a few hours in the morning. It will attract bees if there are any in the area.

Worms have destroyed more tomatoes than I have got. Time to take the bull by the horns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,684,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Try putting out some watermelon rind in the garden for a few hours in the morning. It will attract bees if there are any in the area.

Worms have destroyed more tomatoes than I have got. Time to take the bull by the horns.
Ugh.......I have ben keeping an eye peeled, if you have them, I know I am not too far behind.
In other news, my daughter and I picked a big mess of blackberries today, we made jam and froze the rest, except for the ones that went into a cast iron blackberry cobbler, picked a big bunch of cucumbers, sliced them and put them in lime water to pickle tomorrow.
I have a bunch of dill heading, so tomorrow is the perfect time to make pickles.
My husband went and got me a case of beautiful peaches, since our trees are still too small to bear much, so I will be making peach preserves and freezing them tomorrow, along with picking limas and green beans and freezing them.
Have I mentioned that I need a vacation?

Old 06-02-2012, 09:56 PM

Picking Limas? Oh I can't wait to grow pole limas again. Limas and Tomatoes are my two favorite veggies. Sure beats bending the back. Blueberry festival got cancelled. Wife to sick to travel.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Picking Limas? Oh I can't wait to grow pole limas again. Limas and Tomatoes are my two favorite veggies. Sure beats bending the back. Blueberry festival got cancelled. Wife to sick to travel.
Sure am sorry to hear she is ill.
Yeah, I didnt plant pole limas, I planted bush.
My 75yo mom came out a couple of days ago and helped pick, she told me a story about her dad I had never heard.
They had a cotton farm in Butler County, MO, she told me that Grandpa had leather kneepads and would pick cotton 2 rows at a time, she said he was like a machine.
It was pretty cool to hear the story.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:09 PM

Burpee seed used to sell a variety of pole limas named Prizetaker. They were super big and green. Didn't take much shelling for a bunch to freeze and eat fresh. Saw frozen butter beans at Publix today and should have grabbed a couple of pounds. Sames as limas so I don't know why two different bags. They look and taste the same. Only diff is the dollar in price. Those pole limas grew 7' tall in MO.

My tomatoes look like someone shot them with a shotgun. Leaves full of holes now.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Burpee seed used to sell a variety of pole limas named Prizetaker. They were super big and green. Didn't take much shelling for a bunch to freeze and eat fresh. Saw frozen butter beans at Publix today and should have grabbed a couple of pounds. Sames as limas so I don't know why two different bags. They look and taste the same. Only diff is the dollar in price. Those pole limas grew 7' tall in MO.

My tomatoes look like someone shot them with a shotgun. Leaves full of holes now.
I have the same thing on one of my tomato plants......its the doggone black caterpillars I was whining about upthread.
Is that the same thing thats eating yours?
If so, what are you doing about them?

Old 06-02-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I have the same thing on one of my tomato plants......its the doggone black caterpillars I was whining about upthread.
Is that the same thing thats eating yours?
If so, what are you doing about them?
I think mine is green leaf rollers and grasshoppers. Nothing but picking off the leaf rollers when I can find them. I hate to use Sevin but it if comes to it I will. Just have to wait a few days after use to pick. I can do that. It's chemically dead in a few hours and is the same stuff flea powder is made from. Used it since the 70's. People need to follow the directions though. To many people have the idea if a little is good more is better. No so. Never use Sevin in the morning when bees are active. Only right at dusk. Never on green beans or squash during heat and high humidity. Burns leaves. I really want a green house in a MO or AR location where the bugs can't get my stuff.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
I think mine is green leaf rollers and grasshoppers. Nothing but picking off the leaf rollers when I can find them. I hate to use Sevin but it if comes to it I will. Just have to wait a few days after use to pick. I can do that. It's chemically dead in a few hours and is the same stuff flea powder is made from. Used it since the 70's. People need to follow the directions though. To many people have the idea if a little is good more is better. No so. Never use Sevin in the morning when bees are active. Only right at dusk. Never on green beans or squash during heat and high humidity. Burns leaves. I really want a green house in a MO or AR location where the bugs can't get my stuff.
I'm trying to do the organic thing, been hosing those suckers down with the soap, we'll see if it works.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:03 AM

69,463 posts, read 79,700,409 times
Quote:

thanks I will try that. I did hear a couple yesterday, but they could hve been wasps I don't know.

I can assure you, if the worms start on my tomatoes I will take the bull by the horns as well. I am not going to lose the garden this year like we did last. Between pests and lack of water, plus record breaking heat from May to Oct we had almost nothing.

Nita

ps: picked my first beans yesterday. I will have them for dinner tonight, not a lot but enough for a bean and beet salad.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,816,744 times
Watermelon rind tip sounds great...

My tomatoes are at 3 ft high now & blossoms on 9 out of 12 plants... so am hopeful for my first fruit hopefully soon??? The grounds seem to be great for tomato here.

Corn at 2 feet.

Radishes are dime size now...

Cuks & Bottle gourd plants are OK.

Problems with tons of holes in the leaves for my daikon, collard greens, chinese mustard, chinese kale & yu choi... I think they are bolting early... wah!

Pepper & egg plant is just not doing too well, same with my carrots... eek.

Spring salad greens are just not coming out at all.

I have already put lime & insect dust down... hoping all that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or