U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
183,875 posts, read 74,980,809 times
Reputation: 128845

Advertisements

No place to grow cukes so I ordered 15 gallons from a farmers fall crop before they get waxed. The pickle palace will be open for business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2012, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,286 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Reputation: 38646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
No place to grow cukes so I ordered 15 gallons from a farmers fall crop before they get waxed. The pickle palace will be open for business.
wow, 15 gallons, I hope you have a lot of places to store the pickles..We are not doing many this year so will get them from the local farmers market. Normally my daughter and I do most of our canning around July 4th, so it is time to start thinking, salsa, pickles, jams, beans, etc. The beans are frozen, we don't can them anymore. of course we will do a few relishes as well. Blueberries are not in our garden but we have a lot of pick your own farms here, so we will be out picking in a few more weeks...

We love to do apple butter (in the fall) and peach picking if we can find a place cheap enoough.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2012, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,618,996 times
Reputation: 15560
I'm swimming in tomatoes right now, gonna process and can later today, I need to pick green beans and limas first thing tomorrow morning.
The heat is here with a vengeance, so anything I do out in the garden has to be done very early, or very late in the day.
I also need to snip basil to make into pesto, might get that done this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2012, 11:16 AM
 
Location: USA
1,809 posts, read 2,141,074 times
Reputation: 4045
Lucky you guys with tomatoes already. Mine are blooming, but probably another 3 weeks at least. My corn just got planted and is about 3 inches high. I can't wait!

I have been eating peas, radishes and lettuce.

I also had a volunteer cantalope plant sprout in the bricks around my raised beds. It will be interesting to see if it produces. Last year I had the best cantalope, but had to beat the raccoons to them and it wasn't worth it this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,286 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Reputation: 38646
Default today the fun began

I just ventured out to the back 40, 40 feet that is and now the summer is real, with the fun days ahead. I picked a slue of beans (what is a slue?) I picked 2 squash and probably bought my last store tomatoes today. I have several that are still green but turning a lite green to yellowish. They should start ripening any day...Fun summer, all the worry was worth it. As for bees, I still don't see any but there is a little redish guy remembling one that is buzzing around the squash and cukes: no idea if he/she is pollenating anything. I did get a watermelon today. will put the rind near the squash and cukes tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,618,996 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just ventured out to the back 40, 40 feet that is and now the summer is real, with the fun days ahead. I picked a slue of beans (what is a slue?) I picked 2 squash and probably bought my last store tomatoes today. I have several that are still green but turning a lite green to yellowish. They should start ripening any day...Fun summer, all the worry was worth it. As for bees, I still don't see any but there is a little redish guy remembling one that is buzzing around the squash and cukes: no idea if he/she is pollenating anything. I did get a watermelon today. will put the rind near the squash and cukes tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Nita
Its the same as a mess.
Glad to hear your garden is doing well......I am gonna have to rig up some shadecloth over the tomatoes, the birds have been pecking them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times
Reputation: 87958
Oh the things we have to watch for just to protect our gardens...grr!!!


So far, knock on wood, my garden seems to be pest free....but it is still very early for me. After something grabbed one of my strawberry plants right at the ground, I rechecked and restapled my fence. So far it looks good.


I am a little upset because I bought one 4 pack of yellow squash and one 4 pack of zucchini. Well....they must have been marked wrong and I have all yellow squash. Now I have to go out and hopefully find one or two zucchini plants and get them in the ground. Oh well....at least I "should" have some by August



My spinach is bolting so the lettuce should be right behind. I need to do something with the spinach since I can't eat it all. Tomorrow I am going to make spinach tortillas and freeze them. Any other ideas? I have a tiny freezer


It seems I also got a pack of wrongly marked peppers Oh well....at least I have a lot of other peppers.

I think somebody at the garden center this year was slacking


My dog and I ate fresh peas tonight. Who knew the dog would like peas from the garden, lol. Now I just need to make sure she doesn't try to pick them on her own



Nomad-Hope your DW feels better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
183,875 posts, read 74,980,809 times
Reputation: 128845
First day home since Sunday morning and picked lots of red and yellow tomatoes. Got to hit an antique store for some more crocks for those 7 day pickles this fall. Doc is not going to like the salt but I'm not going to tell him. Now anything can happen over the next couple of weeks. We may be living in TX, AR, Mo, or even CA for the next two years. After that some place NW or San Antonio or Mena, AR, or some place between Joplin, MO and Springfield, MO may be home with big garden and orchard.

On a sad note while we where away the bugs really did a number on the tomatoes. I really need to do some more research on a green house. I can deal with fresh veggies and strawberries year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 05:31 PM
 
Location: On the Plateau in Tn.
2,972 posts, read 4,308,833 times
Reputation: 11715
Our tomatoes are almost done, between the heat and the bugs its time to pull them up and start on the fall crop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,286 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Reputation: 38646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
First day home since Sunday morning and picked lots of red and yellow tomatoes. Got to hit an antique store for some more crocks for those 7 day pickles this fall. Doc is not going to like the salt but I'm not going to tell him. Now anything can happen over the next couple of weeks. We may be living in TX, AR, Mo, or even CA for the next two years. After that some place NW or San Antonio or Mena, AR, or some place between Joplin, MO and Springfield, MO may be home with big garden and orchard.

On a sad note while we where away the bugs really did a number on the tomatoes. I really need to do some more research on a green house. I can deal with fresh veggies and strawberries year round.
come to AR or even SWMo, we would love to have you and they are great placs for gardens, just not as early as you have in Florida. I bet if you research the green house idea, you will be able to enjoy your gradening almost 12 months out of the year. Keep us posted.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top