U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,625,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I'm craving wilted spring lettuce..... Never had heard of it until moving to MO in the 70's. By now I'd be eating fried green tomatoes in MO.
DH had never heard of wilted lettuce until he met me, its one of his faves now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 5 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,499,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You can make spinace pesto and freeze it. It takes a lot of spinach to make a little bit of pesto so it won't take up much room in your freezer.
Good idea. I did make the spinach tortillas yesterday and I used a lot of spinach, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have general failure to thrive in my garden.
The tomato plants are kind of stunted and one tomato rotted on the vine. I strongly feel that the plants I bought brought some kind of diseases with them. The plants I started from seed are looking OK, but are way behind. I just got my first two tomatoes yesterday, which were cosmetically challenged, but otherwise OK. The leaf lettuce was great.
Cucumbers have been abundant and delicious, I have lots of cantaloupe vine, but only one melon. Lots of yellow squash, but even when picked small, they are tough. A few beans, but not enough to matter. the pepper plants are still small.
I guess next year I will pay less attention to the Square Foot Gardener, and use more soil enhancements and fertilizer.
Every year seems to be different for different plants. I have been adding compost to my SFG for the past 3 years. It's not late enough in the season to know how my summer veggies will do yet.

How many bean plants, squares, do you have? I have never had enough for extra.

My bush peas were supposed to be 2 1/2 feet tall and they re about 4 feet tall. But some of the vines are turning yellowish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
DH had never heard of wilted lettuce until he met me, its one of his faves now.
Now I have to look that up, lol. I vaguely remember an older woman from FL who used to make that.

I have called all my local stores the see if anyone has any leftover zucchini plants and no one does Looks like I will be buying some seeds tomorrow and hoping for a few weeks of zucchini. Well at least I won't get sick of them this year

Old 06-08-2012, 04:32 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,862,752 times
Spinach can also be dried/dehydrated and used much later in soups, dips, made into powder, etc... .

Old 06-08-2012, 05:02 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,806,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have general failure to thrive in my garden.
The tomato plants are kind of stunted and one tomato rotted on the vine. I strongly feel that the plants I bought brought some kind of diseases with them. The plants I started from seed are looking OK, but are way behind. I just got my first two tomatoes yesterday, which were cosmetically challenged, but otherwise OK. The leaf lettuce was great.
Cucumbers have been abundant and delicious, I have lots of cantaloupe vine, but only one melon. Lots of yellow squash, but even when picked small, they are tough. A few beans, but not enough to matter. the pepper plants are still small.
I guess next year I will pay less attention to the Square Foot Gardener, and use more soil enhancements and fertilizer.
I feel you...
But I think if certain crops did better than others... Tis the grounds that affect what plant to flourish while others not... garden tending person (you & me) not to blame for afterall we love them plants all equally.

While my tomato, corn, collard greens, mustard, chinese kale, horseradish & radishes is doing great...
My pumpkin died, cuks, carrots, kolhrabi, pepper & spring greens aren't doing so well... and I spend a lot of time out there... I do lack a green thumb though I might add. But at least I try.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
I feel you...
But I think if certain crops did better than others... Tis the grounds that affect what plant to flourish while others not... garden tending person (you & me) not to blame for afterall we love them plants all equally.

While my tomato, corn, collard greens, mustard, chinese kale, horseradish & radishes is doing great...
My pumpkin died, cuks, carrots, kolhrabi, pepper & spring greens aren't doing so well... and I spend a lot of time out there... I do lack a green thumb though I might add. But at least I try.
Sometimes its just a roll of the dice, you know?
I have been gardening for almost 40 years, and I have failures, too.
My cucumbers have already crapped out, and my brandywine tomatoes are splitting because of the deluge we have had for the past 2 days.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:18 PM

183,905 posts, read 74,990,336 times
My tomatoes splitting and cracking due to the monsoons. That is why I want a climate & bug controlled greenhouse. We went from drought to flooding in a week.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
My tomatoes splitting and cracking due to the monsoons. That is why I want a climate & bug controlled greenhouse. We went from drought to flooding in a week.
Same here......we're eating all the tomatoes we can, and I am freezing the rest to can when I have enough to make up a big batch of sauce.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:53 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
My cilarntro died right away. Not sure what I did to it. This is the first year I have tried to grow it. We had way too much lettuce, but really enjoyed it. The neighbors did too.
I don't know what it is about cilantro but it seems only a few people have rfeally good luck with it. Those who do, say they can't kill it. I did plant a second plant late yesterday, we will see what happens.

Like the people in Fl, we have gone from drought to almost flooding (not as bad as Fl) in the past week or so. I am sure my basil simply drowned. It was just sittting in water. Never before have I had trouble growing it. Oh well, next year will be here in 11 months or less and I can start over.

Nita

Old 06-09-2012, 08:42 AM

458 posts, read 452,435 times
Do you plant cilantro in the hot sun? It said 6 or more hours of full sun but I felt like it was just too hot for it. It does not cost much for a bunch but I would like to have my own just for the unplanned taco. lol

Old 06-09-2012, 09:03 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
Do you plant cilantro in the hot sun? It said 6 or more hours of full sun but I felt like it was just too hot for it. It does not cost much for a bunch but I would like to have my own just for the unplanned taco. lol
plus it smells so good. I think one of the secrets is to make sure it gets trimmed back, I let mine go to seed I think.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or