U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,644,127 times

Advertisements

Tomatoes are starting to play out, I cut 4 of the brandywines down today, along with a couple of zebras.
Wish I had gotten my next crop of tomato starts going a little earlier now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 06:00 PM

184,077 posts, read 75,024,940 times
I'm not going out in the rain to even look at mine. I'm afraid I'd bend over and pick something....

Old 06-20-2012, 06:29 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,644,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I'm not going out in the rain to even look at mine. I'm afraid I'd bend over and pick something....
Hoping some of that rain heads our way tomorrow......it was cool and cloudy today, got a lot done!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:24 AM

69,366 posts, read 79,558,446 times
it is finally raining here, but I fear it might be a little too little too late. It looks like my squash might have seen better days. I am going to try to attract a few more bees just to see what happens but I don't think even they can save a dieing plant. The beans are on thier last leg, which is typical, usually I say goodbye to them about the first of July so I might get a few more. The only thing that still looks good are the tomatoes and the jalapenos. What a disappointing year, the third in a row, but last year was even worse I think.

Nita

Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,911,403 times
Nita, are your tomatoes doing anything? I have a ton but they don't seem to be ripening as fast this year - lots of grape tomatoes but the others are slow...and what I've picked seems a little mealy for my taste.

I thought I'd over-nitrogened (my own new word) my squash - all of a sudden they have cut down on bearing quite a bit. Not sure that's really the reason, though - and I will say some of the gardens around the neighborhood look so awful. We haven't had any appreciable rain here in so long - Mother Nature was good to us this spring, but I really need a little more help here!

My beans are long gone and I just didn't plant enough. The peppers continue to bear and the okra is just getting a good running start - I will say, it has been fabulous this year, but maybe that's just my taste buds talking! Eggplant seems to be doing well - next year I will have more of that as well.

Last year was definitely worse down here - I'm almost pleased that I got anything at all! Still having hope for the tomatoes, but I really don't get the green thing....I've never seen tomatoes take this long to ripen.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 PM

Those low down dirty fire ants invaded a tomato plant and made themselves a new home around a tomato. Think I'll cover them in ice.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM

A new to me disease resistant tomato I want to try.

Looks like a good variety for containers.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 PM

69,366 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Nita, are your tomatoes doing anything? I have a ton but they don't seem to be ripening as fast this year - lots of grape tomatoes but the others are slow...and what I've picked seems a little mealy for my taste.

I thought I'd over-nitrogened (my own new word) my squash - all of a sudden they have cut down on bearing quite a bit. Not sure that's really the reason, though - and I will say some of the gardens around the neighborhood look so awful. We haven't had any appreciable rain here in so long - Mother Nature was good to us this spring, but I really need a little more help here!

My beans are long gone and I just didn't plant enough. The peppers continue to bear and the okra is just getting a good running start - I will say, it has been fabulous this year, but maybe that's just my taste buds talking! Eggplant seems to be doing well - next year I will have more of that as well.

Last year was definitely worse down here - I'm almost pleased that I got anything at all! Still having hope for the tomatoes, but I really don't get the green thing....I've never seen tomatoes take this long to ripen.
I never remember them taking so long either, but in the past week things have improved. I am picking about 10 or so grape tomatoes a day, a few romas and a few pear ones. I also just picked my first 2 slicing ones. One just wouldn't ripen though, it stayed yellow. then it dawned on me it was a yellow tomato. We will have it with cream cheese on bagels tomorrow morning. Last year we got almost no tomatoes; I think this year will be better, but still a disappointment.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:41 AM

34,633 posts, read 42,792,739 times
This weekend I will pull out all my vine crops and regroup. They caught some kind of disease and are dying. I will be brousing the aisles for a good safe fertilizer and insecticide/fungicide for vegetables. So far I have not used anything on the garden. Funny, but a few things have done well, like basil, parsley and lettuce, but the sage is dead. The tomatoes are still stunted and sickly. I still feel that the ones I started from seed look the healthiest, so I don't really trust plants from the garden center any more.
I just don't know how the organic gardeners do it without the wonders of chemistry, because I would starve if I had to live off my garden.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This weekend I will pull out all my vine crops and regroup. They caught some kind of disease and are dying. I will be brousing the aisles for a good safe fertilizer and insecticide/fungicide for vegetables. So far I have not used anything on the garden. Funny, but a few things have done well, like basil, parsley and lettuce, but the sage is dead. The tomatoes are still stunted and sickly. I still feel that the ones I started from seed look the healthiest, so I don't really trust plants from the garden center any more.
I just don't know how the organic gardeners do it without the wonders of chemistry, because I would starve if I had to live off my garden.
I'll let you in on a little secret. Years ago an organic gardner tried to get me to buy a 50lb bag of Sevin for him. I forgot to get it when I made a supply run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or