Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 06:26 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,491,968 times

Advertisements

My garden is so sad!
This lack of rain is really beating up my cukes and tomatos and peppers. I water it quite often, but you know how much good that does compared to rain. Not looking promising for the salsa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 06:49 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
My garden is so sad!
This lack of rain is really beating up my cukes and tomatos and peppers. I water it quite often, but you know how much good that does compared to rain. Not looking promising for the salsa
along with some tomatoes from our garden, we ended up buying romas from the store (they were on sale) and we grabbed them. So we did make a lot of salsa. I hate it when we have to do that, but it is still better tasting, cheaper and healthier than buying it from the store.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:57 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,491,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
along with some tomatoes from our garden, we ended up buying romas from the store (they were on sale) and we grabbed them. So we did make a lot of salsa. I hate it when we have to do that, but it is still better tasting, cheaper and healthier than buying it from the store.
I hate when that happens too! Often times I will stock up on canned tomatoes when they are on sale so I can make salsa during the year if we run short. Even using those, it is still way better than the stuff you buy already made..........but what isn't?

Fortunately the spring here produced some really good rhubarb, so I did get plenty of rhubarb/strawberry jam made. Actually have gotten some apple jelly and apple butter done as well. I love homemade stuff!!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,754,658 times
We planted a few tomatoes in pots this year as an experiment. They did not produce as expected, which was disappointing, I'm not sure if it was the variety or location. We may plant a few for a fall crop, but that depends on the weather. Fresh, home made food is much tastier and healthier than anything store-bought, quality control is the key! lol

Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,321,772 times
Whoops. I meant to say I got $.50 (fifty CENT) veggie plants from the nursery. We were in near-drought mode for a bit as a result of our warm, dry winter. We got a super-hot spell for a couple of weeks, as well. But it has rained steadily for the past 3 days or so.

The hot weather was awesome for my eggplant and okra. I'd love to be able to actually eat some for a change before Autumn. I'm also growing "elephant ears." We eat the roots so I'm looking forward to digging them up and "storing" them in my tummy.

We eat dasheen and other boiled starches as a dish called "ground provision:" What is Ground Provision?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
My garden is so sad!
We are all suffering from the heat and lack of rain. I tried watering a million different ways, then about 2 weeks ago, hubby brought out the old fashion strinkler. We hooked it up to the hose, have been watering every 2 to 3 days, about 45 minutes early in the morning. My tomatoes are coming to life with new blooms, my cukes have zillions of blooms and a few cukes and my jalapenos are starting to get new babies. NO, certainly it isn't like years past, but I am encouraged. Today I realized I might have a few more tomatoes in a month or so, maybe less and my sweet pots are still alive, slightly. I am hoping for, at least a dozen or so in the fall. of course our water bill will probably be $300 this month, but at least the garden in 100% lost like I thought.

Nita

Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Whoops. I meant to say I got $.50 (fifty CENT) veggie plants from the nursery. We were in near-drought mode for a bit as a result of our warm, dry winter. We got a super-hot spell for a couple of weeks, as well. But it has rained steadily for the past 3 days or so.

The hot weather was awesome for my eggplant and okra. I'd love to be able to actually eat some for a change before Autumn. I'm also growing "elephant ears." We eat the roots so I'm looking forward to digging them up and "storing" them in my tummy.

We eat dasheen and other boiled starches as a dish called "ground provision:" What is Ground Provision?
thanks for clearing that up: I was wondering what kind of gold plants you got for $50?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,754,658 times
We are in full Florida summer, that means it rains almost every afternoon due to the "sea breezes". Simple version is that wind from both sides of the state meet over central Fla causing thunder storms, heavy rain that lasts a couple of hours then stops. Sometimes we get an inch usually less. It rains long enough to cool the roof and make the humidity go up. Frogs and mosquito's love it!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Iris View Post
We are in full Florida summer, that means it rains almost every afternoon due to the "sea breezes". Simple version is that wind from both sides of the state meet over central Fla causing thunder storms, heavy rain that lasts a couple of hours then stops. Sometimes we get an inch usually less. It rains long enough to cool the roof and make the humidity go up. Frogs and mosquito's love it!
our daughter lives in Windermere, just outside of Orlando and she says the same: aftenoon rains daily and even though the humidity is high, it keeps everything green and feels really refreshing.

Nita

Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,507,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Does anyone on here grow Kale?
Just started growing my kale. My curly green is about a foot high and I have Italian kale seeds coming in the mail as we speak!

Have you ever made kale chips? I make them every day and I'm tired of paying $2 to $3 a bunch for organic kale!

I think this is my first post in this forum. I'm recovering from a serious illness and I really need to eat organic, so I have an even deeper appreciation of this year's garden than my gardens of previous years. So many really cool tips in this forum! Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden