Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,250,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Welcome mimimomx3 keep coming back to share with us how your gardening is going please. I am still too cold to think about planting yet.
Thanks for the nice welcome! I hope it gets warm for you soon. Soon, I'll be desperately trying to save my garden from 100+ days!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 05:42 PM

44,885 posts, read 59,869,542 times
Fired up the new Honda FG 110 mini-tiller I picked up this AM and finally tilled in the compost I did a couple weeks ago. Going to till my daughter's garden tomorrow and finally get my lettuce, radish and carrot seeds in along with broccolli starts in mine.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,649,862 times
15 inches of snow, 3 foot drifts, and blizzard conditions today. I won't be tilling or planting anything for awhile longer! LOL

Old 04-05-2009, 06:07 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
mimimomx3 oh I know gardening can be a struggle with Mother nature but the rewards are so flavorable.

North Beach Person glad you get to play in the dirt a bit we are still about 4-5 weeks away from tilling here in Indiana.

SCGranny wow I have been griping about all this rain and cloudy days we have had for awhile. I am glad it is not snow like you. We have water standing all around us now. Had lunch with a local farmer yesterday said he can't remember the fields being this wet this time of year like it is.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:16 PM

44,885 posts, read 59,869,542 times
Yeah, got to play today and yesterday. Got daughter's tilled up, it was a new one so it took awhile, but the compost mixed in good. She's going to have a miserable weed problem I think. The Honda tiller runs like a champ, quite a change from my worn out Mantis. When I moved to Southern MD from Western PA many years ago I had a heck of a time getting used to the extra month in the Spring and six weeks in the Fall. Add to that being near the Bay gives me a 7 or 8 month growing season. Usually have fresh green peppers at Thanksgiving, note the usually. Cold weather crops last longer here. I don't envy you guys the snow you just got.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:20 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,658,974 times
Those zucchini, and peppers are getting too tall and spindly. They need artificial light.

Try fluorescent bulbs a few inches above them

Old 04-05-2009, 09:58 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, got to play today and yesterday. Got daughter's tilled up, it was a new one so it took awhile, but the compost mixed in good. She's going to have a miserable weed problem I think.
When I till up a new area for flowers I put down some old roofing shingles to kill out the weeds and grass first. Have her be sure to mulch her garden really well for the first couple of years. That will help with the weeds a lot.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:12 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,649,862 times
Actually, I moved here for the snow... on purpose. I was growing stuff in SC practically year round - only 6 weeks of "winter" there - but between the weeds, the bugs, and the humidity that drew fungi like a plague, I wanted real seasons and drier air. There are a lot of things it is hard to grow there, like 'keeper' onions and green peas - but my collards would grow three feet across! everything is a compromise - besides, we had a lot of fun last night in the snowdrifts!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:27 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,194,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
mimimomx3 oh I know gardening can be a struggle with Mother nature but the rewards are so flavorable.

North Beach Person glad you get to play in the dirt a bit we are still about 4-5 weeks away from tilling here in Indiana.

SCGranny wow I have been griping about all this rain and cloudy days we have had for awhile. I am glad it is not snow like you. We have water standing all around us now. Had lunch with a local farmer yesterday said he can't remember the fields being this wet this time of year like it is.
And I don't have enough moisture in the soil to sprout a seed.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:17 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,830,040 times
I had just planted my roma, grape and cherry tomatoes over the weekend and now there are calling for a freeze Tuesday night! I also planted some oregano, basil, red bell peppers and yellow banana peppers but these were all in pots or planters so I can bring them into the garage. What do I do with my tomatoes! The roma and cherry are in cages...if I put some plastic over the cages without touching the tomatoes, do you think that will be alright? I knew I should have waited for another week or two! BTW, I'm in zone 7b.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden