Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 01:56 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Thanks for the pictures! Well, I have yet to get a vine-ripened red tomato. They're all still green. I did have a couple of yellow cherry tomatoes...by a couple I mean TWO. Those are still green, as well and it is really cold here now. Unseasonably cold. I'm going to plant some garlic cloves tomorrow. I bought some over the weekend, and they started to sprout. Waste not want not.
Can you explain how to do that? Plant outside? How deep do you bury it, etc. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Can you explain how to do that? Plant outside? How deep do you bury it, etc. TIA
It is easy.

You break the cloves off the bulb, but keep the "skin" on. I plant them maybe three inches deep. I've never measured, though. Plant them with the pointy side UP. I am in zone 7, and I've done this the most successfully with garlic from the supermarket. The expensive "hardneck" ones I bought online gave me really small bulbs. That could be because the boughten soil in my raised beds wasn't so great.

I've planted garlic only in Autumn so far. It is still technically summer, but the weather has been pretty cool, and I didn't want the garlic I'd bought to spoil. I am including a link to a blog where the writer describes her own planting of garlic. I've planted in raised beds like she has, as well as in my regular, somewhat clay-ey garden soil:

In My Kitchen Garden: How To Grow Your Own Garlic (and How To Not Get Any Planted): Garden Journal 1/1/13

My garlic looked like this before I separated and planted it:

Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Thank you! (wouldn't let me rep you again). You don't know how to grow ginger by chance do you?

Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
It is easy.

You break the cloves off the bulb, but keep the "skin" on. I plant them maybe three inches deep. I've never measured, though. Plant them with the pointy side UP. I am in zone 7, and I've done this the most successfully with garlic from the supermarket. The expensive "hardneck" ones I bought online gave me really small bulbs. That could be because the boughten soil in my raised beds wasn't so great.

I've planted garlic only in Autumn so far. It is still technically summer, but the weather has been pretty cool, and I didn't want the garlic I'd bought to spoil. I am including a link to a blog where the writer describes her own planting of garlic. I've planted in raised beds like she has, as well as in my regular, somewhat clay-ey garden soil:

In My Kitchen Garden: How To Grow Your Own Garlic (and How To Not Get Any Planted): Garden Journal 1/1/13

My garlic looked like this before I separated and planted it:
I am going to plant some next week. Even if we have a close to normal Sept, it is still not going to be record breaking hot, I am sure.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:32 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Thanks KinkyToes! I love garlic.

I am definitely going to put garlic on my list for next year's garden.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:30 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Thank you! (wouldn't let me rep you again). You don't know how to grow ginger by chance do you?
I'm pretty sure you just put a piece with a "bud" or eye in some dirt. But where I am it is too cold to grow it outdoors. I bet there are instructions online.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:45 PM

I am bringing part of the garden indoors. Autumn is approaching and low temperatures are predicted in the 30s this weekend.

Although it is late in the season to purchase seeds, I managed to buy some seeds from a local greenhouse for my winter indoor herb 'garden' - catnip for my 2 cats, cilantro and parsley. The seeds were 50% off - maybe I should try growing herbs that I haven't in the past. Dill, rosemary, sage ....

I have been growing oregano and basil in pots this summer. I'll see how they adapt to being move indoors but just in case they are not happy, I have some leftover seeds.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:49 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I am bringing part of the garden indoors. Autumn is approaching and low temperatures are predicted in the 30s this weekend.

Although it is late in the season to purchase seeds, I managed to buy some seeds from a local greenhouse for my winter indoor herb 'garden' - catnip for my 2 cats, cilantro and parsley. The seeds were 50% off - maybe I should try growing herbs that I haven't in the past. Dill, rosemary, sage ....

I have been growing oregano and basil in pots this summer. I'll see how they adapt to being move indoors but just in case they are not happy, I have some leftover seeds.
LED lights balanced for plants are not expensive and they use little current. Just don't spread it around that you are using grow lights.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
LED lights balanced for plants are not expensive and they use little current. Just don't spread it around that you are using grow lights.
During our long winters, I use fluorescent grow lights (installed in shop-light fixtures) with great success - orchids, herbs and house-plants. The next time that I am in town, I'll have to check on the price and availability of LEDs.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
During our long winters, I use fluorescent grow lights (installed in shop-light fixtures) with great success - orchids, herbs and house-plants. The next time that I am in town, I'll have to check on the price and availability of LEDs.
I found them on the internet. Seems like there were some states that would not allow them to be shipped in. I wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden