Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 01:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Looks like I am about to say good buy garden for this year, unless there is a way to cook and can weeds? I still have a lot of cantaloupe blossoms ,so will probably get some more of them in a few months. We have a lot of tomatoes that will be ripening in a few weeks or so, but the squash is gone, the cukes never were and there are a few peppers, but nothing to get excited about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Just don't start baling the weeds.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 PM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
I did pretty decent this year, for me anyway. I called myself doing the SFG method, which some areas produced ok, and some did not. I finally got to a point where I just threw some seeds in the dirt around the raised beds. I managed to reap quite a few cukes and tomatoes, enough green beans for a couple of meals, and a few decent summer squash along with a few other veggies. Right now I've got okra growing out the ying yang and about 30 corn plants that look promising. I'm already planning next years garden which will be at least three times the size of this years. This thread and the SFG thread has been great for teaching me a lot. Thanks everybody.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:19 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I am just starting to get tomatoes! I picked a pepper that was almost ripe today, and put it in a thai curry. One of my peach trees is also bearing late. I cut up some peaches today and had them stewed. Not bad. Stinkbugs are on them, but haven't totally ruined them. I may make and freeze some stewed peaches tomorrow. I have neglected my greenbeans and have a bunch of mature ones, but mostly bitten by stinkbugs. I think they'll go in the compost. We're not getting rain now, so I hope my squash will be Ok.

I had to hand-water some of the potted plants, plus some of the awesome new perennials I couldn't resist! Still no sign of serrano peppers or eggplant. But there's time. Stinkbugs are by far the worst pest this year.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
I had those 3 tomatoes all summer none of them fully ripened no matter how long I left them on the vine or counter top. All 3 had that hard green inner circle right under the skin none of them had the good Indiana soil taste they usually do here. But this was my first time growing in a pot too so next year they are going in the ground somewhere.

Oh now I have 4 little maters on and 5 blooms not enough summer left for them to mature.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 PM

515 posts, read 777,852 times
It's been a very good garden year for me, probably the best I've had in several years. We canned 9 pints of kale, 49 quarts of green beans, 20 pints of corn, not counting what we ate and gave away to neighbors and kids, canned 6 quarts of tomato juice and 5 pints of pasta sauce. My daughter also canned 6 pints of tomato sauce from my garden. My gypsy peppers have done extremely well and they're still bearing. I'll plow out the potatoes in a week or so and then sweet potatoes just before the first frost, probably near the end of September. After I get the potatoes out of the ground, I'll sew some kale and begin to harvest it after a good frost or 2.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
I've got some new hot peppers to get the seed from. I'm told they are Ghost Peppers. Extremely hot. They look sort of like a habanero. I don't really like the flavor of habaneros if they are dominant in the prepared dish. Jalapenos, Ancho, Poblanos, and Serrano are more to my liking but I will plant these. Who knows they may make a good hot sauce mixed with other hot peppers. I've found new bottles online for putting sauce in. Even blank labels to label your own private brand. Now I must come up with some really bad names.

Bottles and supplies

Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I am still trying to understand why the weeds this year? We always have some, of course and we had mor rain then normal but still, I am thinking the top soil might have had a lot of grass and crap in it compared to other years.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am still trying to understand why the weeds this year? We always have some, of course and we had mor rain then normal but still, I am thinking the top soil might have had a lot of grass and crap in it compared to other years.
Did you lay mowed grass down as a weed barrier last year between rows perhaps?

Old 08-30-2013, 05:25 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I just planted two tomato plants, two squash plants and some lettuce and bean seeds. We shall see if there is enough season left to get anything from them. I know the lettuce will be growing all winter. Interestingly, my pepper plants are putting out flowers like crazy all of a sudden, when I only have had 2 peppers all summer. I notice my parsley, which I though was dead, is rallying. I am constantly learning about this southern climate and its effect on the garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden