U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-10-2013, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,474 posts, read 13,413,676 times
Reputation: 6404

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, what a harvest. I won't dig up our sweet potatoes until the middle of next month. Instead of 500 lbs, we will be lucky to get 5...
Ugh. I was dying for some sweet potatoes, so I upended the container yesterday, and I only got ONE that was a decent size. I ate it. Next year I may need to plant them in sun.

If you read this, let me know if you think I can keep cuttings inside over the winter. The ones I buy are really expensive. Plus I only really need one little seedling or whatever they call them. It turns into a huge vine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2013, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
183,925 posts, read 74,990,336 times
Reputation: 128852
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Ugh. I was dying for some sweet potatoes, so I upended the container yesterday, and I only got ONE that was a decent size. I ate it. Next year I may need to plant them in sun.

If you read this, let me know if you think I can keep cuttings inside over the winter. The ones I buy are really expensive. Plus I only really need one little seedling or whatever they call them. It turns into a huge vine.
You can put one sweet potato in an empty mayonnaise jar or such with toothpick supports and it will sprout several vines. When time to plant you should have 1-2 dozen plants to cut off of the potato. I just don't remember how long you need to start before outdoor planting time. These also can be used as a center piece for a table if kept trimmed back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,474 posts, read 13,413,676 times
Reputation: 6404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You can put one sweet potato in an empty mayonnaise jar or such with toothpick supports and it will sprout several vines. When time to plant you should have 1-2 dozen plants to cut off of the potato. I just don't remember how long you need to start before outdoor planting time. These also can be used as a center piece for a table if kept trimmed back.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM
 
4,756 posts, read 8,385,905 times
Reputation: 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
If you read this, let me know if you think I can keep cuttings inside over the winter. The ones I buy are really expensive. Plus I only really need one little seedling or whatever they call them. It turns into a huge vine.
It's called "tuber". No, they will not survive indoor over winter. Not enough sun. Wait until spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You can put one sweet potato in an empty mayonnaise jar or such with toothpick supports and it will sprout several vines. When time to plant you should have 1-2 dozen plants to cut off of the potato. I just don't remember how long you need to start before outdoor planting time. These also can be used as a center piece for a table if kept trimmed back.
What Norm said is what I do. I save some sweet potatoes from last year's harvest and in the spring time do just that. Little green leaves will start to grow. I cut it off when it is 5-6 inch long and put it in a jar filled with water. After about a week roots will start to grow out of it. I have planted tubers without root directly in the garden and they grow well. Repeat this 10-15 times and you'll have enough tubers to fill two 4X8 raised beds. All these started out with a single store bought sweet potato 3 years ago.

These sweet potato tubers are tough! Back in July I stucked 2 extra tubers (without roots) in my mulch pile and they not only survived but grew! I also stucked several in my flower bed built just this spring using the no-dig, lasagna method. Now they blossomed and are spreading like ground covers. I am waiting to see if I will harvest swet potatoes in the soil that's built by cardboards & grass clippings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM
 
4,756 posts, read 8,385,905 times
Reputation: 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
. I just don't remember how long you need to start before outdoor planting time. .
Kinky lives in Houston. She can pretty much start any time since they hardly get frost down there. For me, I start indoors approx. 6 week before my last frost date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
183,925 posts, read 74,990,336 times
Reputation: 128852
For the sake of trying it out I will buy 12 Asian white sweet potato plants this next season even if I have to grow them in containers. I've read where they make excellent sweet potato chips. Then there is one other variety I'll buy a dozen off to get a start of it. I think the name of it is Beauregard. Not sure at the moment. Different varieties do better in different climates. I need to do some more research. Some varieties will grow very large tubers without getting a cork center. I think those are Centennial variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
183,925 posts, read 74,990,336 times
Reputation: 128852
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV;3135 9312
Kinky lives in Houston. She can pretty much start any time since they hardly get frost down there. For me, I start indoors approx. 6 week before my last frost date.
She is in the same zone then as I am in here in FL. Zone 9. Once past the first week in January we are not likely to have frost but then in rare years we have had March frosts. Those cost millions of dollars in lost farm produce.

This is where
I have bought sweet potato plants since before the internet was available. Lots of good info there. Some varieties have come and some gone since I last purchased. More varieties of whites available now for chips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 PM
 
4,756 posts, read 8,385,905 times
Reputation: 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
For the sake of trying it out I will buy 12 Asian white sweet potato plants this next season even if I have to grow them in containers. I've read where they make excellent sweet potato chips. Then there is one other variety I'll buy a dozen off to get a start of it. I think the name of it is Beauregard. Not sure at the moment. Different varieties do better in different climates. I need to do some more research. Some varieties will grow very large tubers without getting a cork center. I think those are Centennial variety.
LOL...you only neeed one potato to get started. I've found if you want BIG potatoes, you'll need to give them plenty of water regularly. One year I have automatic drip irrigation programmed to water 15 minutes every morning, it was a bit of over kill but since it was a raised bed excess water just drain out from below, and the result was impressive! The next year I cut it back to 5 minutes every OTHER day I got more potatoes but they were significantly smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
183,925 posts, read 74,990,336 times
Reputation: 128852
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
LOL...you only neeed one potato to get started. I've found if you want BIG potatoes, you'll need to give them plenty of water regularly. One year I have automatic drip irrigation programmed to water 15 minutes every morning, it was a bit of over kill but since it was a raised bed excess water just drain out from below, and the result was impressive! The next year I cut it back to 5 minutes every OTHER day I got more potatoes but they were significantly smaller.
I used to install landscape irrigation systems professionally and intend to put in a total drip system for a large kitchen garden. Maybe a 1/4 acre. No more 1.5 acre market gardens. You are right one potato will do but I'm looking for special characteristics in the potatoes I want. I have not found white ones available anywhere I've looked. I only intend to by plants one time. After that I'll carry over my own seed stock. I may go with one other of the dark gold varieties also. In the 70's I planted a 200' row on heavy clay soil and had a harvest of frankensweets. They took the shapes of the cracks in the summer baked ground. The following year I put them in a same type raised bed covered with black plastic mulch so the rains could not compact the clay into brick hardness. Enough rain got to the potatoes from the opening made to plant through. That year we had way more than we could eat and gave many pounds away. A coworker and neighbor tried my method had had one hill produce over 13 lbs. About a year ago doing some research on sweet potatoes on the University of MO website the were showing people how to do what we had learned more than 3 decades earlier. One other thing we did to preserve moisture was to heavily mulch the middles with wheat straw. Back then 150 bales cost me $75 and I picked them up out of the field.

I don't mind paying a few dollars more to get something specific. I've found duds and I've found gems. I hope the white sweet potatoes turn out to be gems. White Yams have got my attention right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Reputation: 38661
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Ugh. I was dying for some sweet potatoes, so I upended the container yesterday, and I only got ONE that was a decent size. I ate it. Next year I may need to plant them in sun.

If you read this, let me know if you think I can keep cuttings inside over the winter. The ones I buy are really expensive. Plus I only really need one little seedling or whatever they call them. It turns into a huge vine.
Last year we only got one, period, but it was a crazy hot, dry summer here. I am hoping for a lot more this year. I do plant right in the san. BTW, I haven't checked the garlic yet, but there are a couple green things sticking out so I am guessing we have some. I am planning on planting some more in a few weeks and keeping it out of the frost come winter. Hopefully next spring we will get a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top