Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,321,772 times

Advertisements

HB2HSV hmm I guess it works, but it doesn't look very pretty. Says the CDer who has had plastic killing unwanted grass in a bed for 2 years . The weeds may be dead by now.

The two remaining eggplant I sowed inside still haven't germinated. Good thing I have plenty of seeds. I guess I'll be getting eggplant late this year...again. In the potager, I planted some lavender seeds. I also see the french sorrel is emerging! That stuff is delish!

I'm still trying to get the lovage seeds to germinate. Freezing the seeds in the pot worked for the snapdragons, so I'm trying that. Yesterday I planted the last of the cold-season veggies: chard, beets and kohlrabi. The weather has been really warm and nice, but I think our last frost date is May 15th. We shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 06:29 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,854,279 times
Kinkytoes, Oh I don't have it on my fence. A friend posted the photo so I'd thought I'll share his idea.

Lowes has eggplant & tomato seedlings out yesterday... just saying

My direct sowing of beans & beets have not work neither this year.

One most impressive growth I see is the Peony, it dies back in the fall and now it grows about 3 inches A DAY!!! Spring is a wonderful time in Alabama

Old 04-09-2014, 10:53 AM

712 posts, read 1,083,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Kinkytoes, Oh I don't have it on my fence. A friend posted the photo so I'd thought I'll share his idea.

Lowes has eggplant & tomato seedlings out yesterday... just saying

One most impressive growth I see is the Peony, it dies back in the fall and now it grows about 3 inches A DAY!!! Spring is a wonderful time in Alabama
Just curious, how old were the seeds and did you presoak the seeds before sowing?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
Just curious, how old were the seeds and did you presoak the seeds before sowing?
Those seeds are this year's seeds. But I did not "pre-soak" them although they are in the ground long enough with the rain & all

Old 04-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Those seeds are this year's seeds. But I did not "pre-soak" them although they are in the ground long enough with the rain & all
I've never pre-sown beans and they're always really easy to grow. My indoor seeds are having trouble germinating, too. Normally I plop a seed in dirt, and it grows. Maybe the cold from this winter was lingering and stunting the seeds.

I'm growing beets this year for the first time. I'm looking forward to eating them. The seeds look just like swiss chard seeds. Some of the seeds I planted a couple of weeks ago out in the raised beds germinated! Lettuce and bok choi are up from what I can see. I think I also planted kolhrabi in that bed, but it doesn't seem to be up yet.

Kohlrabi is DELICIOUS. Hopefully my other seeds will germinate. I think I may replant some of the ones inside.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I've never pre-sown beans and they're always really easy to grow. My indoor seeds are having trouble germinating, too. Normally I plop a seed in dirt, and it grows. Maybe the cold from this winter was lingering and stunting the seeds.

I'm growing beets this year for the first time. I'm looking forward to eating them. The seeds look just like swiss chard seeds. Some of the seeds I planted a couple of weeks ago out in the raised beds germinated! Lettuce and bok choi are up from what I can see. I think I also planted kolhrabi in that bed, but it doesn't seem to be up yet.

Hopefully my other seeds will germinate. I think I may replant some of the ones inside.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Update ---

We have had nearly a week of warm sun & occassional rain. 3 of my beans are lifting their heads and coming out of mulch. So has several of red beets.

Those diakons are hardy! I planted ~3 seeds in each hole and ALL 3 sprouted. Now it hurts a little when I thin them out.

My butterscotch lettuce are getting big. It is now in an aerial battle with the nearby broccoli for air supermacy. I wonder when is the right time to harvest lettuce?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:59 AM

PP I've only ever grown loose leaf lettuce. I harvest it as soon as I can before it gets too hot. I ate a LOT of salad last year. In my gardening book it says you can harvest leaf lettuce leaf by leaf, but you should harvest the entire head for head lettuce.

I've always harvested the entire head of the leaf lettuce because I've traditionally had a ton of it. Make sure you eat it or give it away before it goes to seed. It doesn't really keep well and it is supposed to be bitter tasting after it goes to seed. Best of luck.

Also, are you the person who is growing brussels sprouts for the first time? The seeds I sowed some weeks ago have sprouted. Happily all of my early season seeds are now up. It looks like the lavender and parsley seeds have sprouted as well. Still no sign of the lovage either indoors or out. I want lovage BAD. If I get no germination again I'll just have to buy a plant.

Now it is just a race to try to get my veggies before it gets hot. I'll also have to look up when I'm supposed to harvest the onion and garlic. My goal is to get them all this year. I also have to remember to give them some fertilizer. Last year I got small ones. Love the fact that these things have lived through a very cold winter. Yay onion and garlic.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 PM

Update.

The veggies in the raised bed has really grown. I guess a head-start was a good thing even at risk of spring frost.

Here a look. The broccolis are in the front, the lettuces are in the middle and some more broccolis and then brussels sprouts. The very front are the red beets but they seem to grow slow.

A close-up on the lettuce in between 2 broccolis, I harvested two of them today and they tasted great

You can also see the little broccoli heads are forming on the picture above.

Kinkytoes - the brussels sprout looks similar to the broccolis, except they do not form little broccoli head. I think it will be awhile before they will form brussels sprouts.

Here's a picture of my Daikon (radish), they grow well. Unfortunately I put 2~3 seeds in each hole so now I had to "thin" them out.

I planted the daikons in between my garlics. I don't know what that will do to the garlics . The garlics seem to grow slow this spring, but the shallots are doing well.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:02 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
HB2HSV looking good I can't put my plants in yet but my elevated bed is ready with some excellent organic soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden