Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Some years I've let the cherry tomatoes do their own thing and sucker away. I was using large cages and multiple stakes to keep them off of the ground. They were planted three feet apart and I couldn't squeeze between them. I did get a lot of tomatoes.
I just tied mine up again yesterday. Like you, I used cages and stakes, they are still everywhere. I think I will just let them do their do what they want from here on out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 06:28 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
I loved my bumper tomato crop we got this year of course I started my tomatoes way early and when the heat kicked up a lot of em died and stop producing so next year I will do the same thing plant early and harvest early only next year I know what to plant and what not to plant here in sc . I think I will limit how many tomato plants I will do . I'm thinking about 3 because there is only the two of us here and we had more than we or the co workers could eat .Yes I sent bags to work with my husband and they sure enjoyed them .

Old 07-22-2016, 06:30 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
I'm also now harvesting some of my zinnias for seeds . which means I will have a bumper crop of zinnias next spring .I love plants that give back through their seeds and now it seems the wild birds I have been feeding are leaving me presents in the way of sunflower seed sprouts under my beautiful tree . I think that will be awesome once they start blooming in the fall and then I will harvest them for the seeds as well .

Old 07-22-2016, 07:24 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,528,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Ours seem to be doing fine, but I have also heard they will not set fruit if temps are over 90. of course I don't know if the rest of our blossoms will set and I have some rather young plants that are just starting to blossom. I am guessing they will not produce tomatoes until late Sept or early Oct.

While I am waiting for more tomatoes I am enjoying the kindness of many friends. We water walk 3 days a week and many who do the same have very active gardens right now. They are bringing in wonderful tomatoes, squash and cukes to share.
Picked three little Roma's this morning, they were a nice bright red. I am actually surprised. The plants seem to be doing better without me worrying about them so much. Ah, the life of a parent.

I didn't think they would get past the orange stage due to the heat. Mid-90s until today. It was 100 degrees today and will be for the next two days.

Now that we are the end of the mater season, my godfather is trying to get what I call his "sacrifice points". Which means he won't eat them because he wants me to enjoy them. He's like that.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:01 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,550,180 times
For anyone who would like to try using the pineapple bromeliad as a house plant this is how easy it is. The three tops from mine harvested a week ago or so. These tops took about a week to develop enough root to put them in a planter.
Technically these are a fruit but are grown as a garden plant by some this far south.

Roots showing after a week in the tap water in the red cups

Old 07-22-2016, 09:57 PM

392 posts, read 754,237 times
We have few cantaloupe plants. Recently noticed one of them is not growing as it was and even the first fruit on it stopped growing, then I saw the leaves are curled with lots of yellow powder under it. I sprayed the whole plant with neem paying special attention to the curled leaves. Two days later the yellow aphids are black. So are they dead now? Do I have to cuts the infected leaves or they can still produce food for the plant? I'm afraid if I snip the whole vine with the infected leaves the plant won't survive.
This plant is right next to the eggplant, I'm worried if the aphids will infect the eggplant too.

I tried to post this as a new post but didn't get any help.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:25 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,364 times
My tomato plants which were doing so well, are now failing quickly. I found green worms, little ones, not the big monster worms, eating the leaves. I picked them off fast as I could. But now all of the lower leaves and inside leaves look like lace, and I cannot find those worms, just the evidence they are still there. And I am getting white spots on the leaves. I am so mad. Finally, after 3 years I thought I had a couple of decent plants. There are a good number of green tomatoes, but I'm afraid the plant may die before they get red. Meh.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:42 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,550,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
My tomato plants which were doing so well, are now failing quickly. I found green worms, little ones, not the big monster worms, eating the leaves. I picked them off fast as I could. But now all of the lower leaves and inside leaves look like lace, and I cannot find those worms, just the evidence they are still there. And I am getting white spots on the leaves. I am so mad. Finally, after 3 years I thought I had a couple of decent plants. There are a good number of green tomatoes, but I'm afraid the plant may die before they get red. Meh.
Look for worms after dark with a flashlight. Those nasty big worms can hide during the day and chow down after dark. That may not be your problem but 4 years ago I had it happen with some tomatoes growing in some containers. The hornworms can strip a plant over night. Is it just the leaves or have some of the green tomatoes been eaten too? If some of the tomatoes are missing chunks you most likely have the Tomato Horn Worm too.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:05 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,396,366 times
Just a little update re my all-container garden: we had a Black Beauty zuc that gave three miniscule and one big fruit, but it was not doing well, so we found a teeny bit of open space in a flower bed and today transplanted it into the *gasp!* ground. Crossing my fingers.

Husky cherry tomato is spewing fruits. They taste merely okay, and the skin is too tough. Mr. Stripey finally has three or so small fruits; Black Prince about a half-dozen. And the Celebrity is covered with baseball-sized fruits that are just thinking of getting some color. There is a volunteer tomato in among the string beans. Probably a Black Prince or Krim.

Strawberries get eaten by some monster while still semi-ripe. Potatoes were a bust; only a handful of apricot-or-smaller tubers, and we ate them in one sitting.

Carrots doing okay, but should have had a deeper container. Surprisingly, in this heat, I'm still getting a handful of greens.

--Zone 7A

Old 07-23-2016, 05:57 PM

32,917 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Something ate my three cucumber plants. There's just some stem remnants left. It was probably a groundhog. :::sigh:::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden