Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 12:07 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,111,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I hope so...I didn't see the sticky logo on the thread yet though?
It is there if you go to the garden forum followed by YLisa's thread on square foot gardening. Also sticky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:46 AM

323 posts, read 831,224 times
It would be nice to have a vegetable/herb/fruit sub forum. I really don't have any interest in ornamental flowers, trees, grasses,or shrubs.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:25 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,832,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Since the veggie threads get buried quickly in the garden forum thought I would see if we can keep this thread active. Asked if we could have a sub forum but I was told there wasn't enough interest yet in veggie gardening to do it. Maybe we can get a nice mod to make this a sticky until it grows perhaps????

I have started saving rinsed out egg shells to crumble around our tomato plants anybody else do this?
I did this last year with my pumpkins to get them to flower and it worked beautifully.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:30 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,111,916 times
JerZ thanks for that pumpkin tip I will try that this year! Also thanks for the link you sent to me I will check it out.

bethany12 it is my understanding that there isn't enough traffic for a sub forum yet. So if we can keep this veggie thread active maybe that will help possibly. It helps a lot having this thread as a sticky so be sure to thank the mods for doing that much!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:56 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,616,518 times
Quote:
JerZ thanks for that pumpkin tip I will try that this year! Also thanks for the link you sent to me I will check it out.

bethany12 it is my understanding that there isn't enough traffic for a sub forum yet. So if we can keep this veggie thread active maybe that will help possibly. It helps a lot having this thread as a sticky so be sure to thank the mods for doing that much!
I'm glad to find this thread has been revived, and will continue to live. Thanks to all who made the effort to achieve this, and thank you to the mods for making it a reality.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:26 PM

9 posts, read 322,233 times
All you veggie gardners should take a look at the Square Foot Garden Anyone thread on the garden forum. Easy to care for, very productive method -- and it's great in hard-pack red clay areas.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:00 PM

19,720 posts, read 10,449,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmom69 View Post
All you veggie gardners should take a look at the Square Foot Garden Anyone thread on the garden forum. Easy to care for, very productive method -- and it's great in hard-pack red clay areas.
I am following that thread, as well.
I am really suffering, from spring fever, these last few days.....still WAY to early, to start anything, in SD..........

Old 02-23-2009, 02:21 PM

167 posts, read 860,449 times
Quote:
Thank you for the replies I figured it had to have something to do with calcium. We crumble them up after sitting in a big container for about a week to make sure I got them rinsed well. Don't want that rotten egg smell filling up my house.

mezzogirl have any of your neighbors followed suit? If they think about it that same piece of dirt could be saving them money instead of costing them money mowing it. We have 5 acres we mow so plenty of room for a garden still have to mow though.
Ha. I wish it would. Not to be a crazy extremist, but when food prices start going thru the roof and another wave of foreclosures and job loss comes- these people will probably change their tunes. I know for a fact that business for seed companies is up about 40% from past years, mostly for edibles.
I have a third acre, which is not much, but I am surprised at how much can be grown on just this amount of land.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:27 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,977,808 times
Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I am following that thread, as well.
I am really suffering, from spring fever, these last few days.....still WAY to early, to start anything, in SD..........

When it finally comes we'll be doing somersauts!!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:39 AM

19,720 posts, read 10,449,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
When it finally comes we'll be doing somersauts!!

I'm desperate! can you believe I was looking for rhubarb, today? Totally impossible, I know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden