U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 09:38 AM

9 posts, read 4,167 times

Advertisements

Will miss you Cambium..I usually follow your thread for seed starting, hardening, planting out...well the whole gardening season. I am fairly new and you are an inspiration!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 05:46 AM

62,248 posts, read 68,218,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Decided to take this year off from gardening. But if I keep coming back to this forum I know you guys will motivate me into doing it again without even mentioning it to me. lol. Seeing some posts in all the threads just gets me in the mood.

Been doing a veggie garden since 2003 every single year. Wanna take this year off. We'll see. No Cambium Garden Pic thread. lol.
Hope you reconsider, you still have time, but if not, we will see you again next year.
I know my years of gardening are really coming to an end. I hope to hang in there 2 or 3 more years. The raised garden does help me, but still my back is pretty well shot. I do take a chair out when I do my planting. After that I am ok.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:27 AM

53,413 posts, read 35,744,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow2016 View Post
Will miss you Cambium..I usually follow your thread for seed starting, hardening, planting out...well the whole gardening season. I am fairly new and you are an inspiration!!

Thank you! I really do appreciate that. I found myself looking back at the threads just for informational and comparison purposes for myself. Fun to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hope you reconsider, you still have time, but if not, we will see you again next year.
I know my years of gardening are really coming to an end. I hope to hang in there 2 or 3 more years. The raised garden does help me, but still my back is pretty well shot. I do take a chair out when I do my planting. After that I am ok.

Thanks! I might reconsider but more likely not. I'll still be in the forum lurking and posting though.

Hope you feel better, have you considered having someone do the tilling and planting for you so all you have to do is water and harvest?

Old 02-17-2017, 11:37 AM

53,413 posts, read 35,744,505 times
I knew it. Took 2 posts or just looking at the bags.

Just couldn't resist. We'll see.

No motivation outside yet. Garden center empty. Could start filling up this weekend though with 50s.

Not like we can plant anything yet. Still got 4" of snow on ground here.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:08 PM

28,326 posts, read 35,361,505 times
About 4 weeks til last frost here. I topped of the raised garden, trimmed up the herbs, and planted some beet seeds. I am still adamant about pretty much sticking to herbs, since i have such poor results here.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thank you! I really do appreciate that. I found myself looking back at the threads just for informational and comparison purposes for myself. Fun to see.

Thanks! I might reconsider but more likely not. I'll still be in the forum lurking and posting though.

Hope you feel better, have you considered having someone do the tilling and planting for you so all you have to do is water and harvest?
That just would not be the same: part of the garden is the planting, etc. Using the raised approach there isn't much tilling to do.

I did get my tomato seeds going a few days ago. My daughter and 2 granddaughters came over Of course that is the easy part: they are in their cute little seed cups. I also did some cilantro and basil. I will start the squash and okra in a week or two. I don't want the plants to get too big before we have time to get them in the ground. I will have hubby help me get the planters ready as soon as we get back from our cruise in early April.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
About 4 weeks til last frost here. I topped of the raised garden, trimmed up the herbs, and planted some beet seeds. I am still adamant about pretty much sticking to herbs, since i have such poor results here.
Your plant starting mixtures: exactly the ones we used last Friday. Oh how I love beets, but I do get them from a local farm. They are so cheap it isn't worth growing them.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:42 AM

28,326 posts, read 35,361,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Your plant starting mixtures: exactly the ones we used last Friday. Oh how I love beets, but I do get them from a local farm. They are so cheap it isn't worth growing them.
True of most veggies, nmnita. I saw these mixed beet seeds, and have never tried growing them, so giving it a whirl. I mght try a few other things that I havent failed at before, like maybe cabbage. I CAN grow lettuce and spinach, so I might do that.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 530 times
Talking Vegie and Fruit Tree

Hello,
Interested in growing vegies and fruit trees, so naturally I have both in a small number. As my garden has taken slow yield to producing viable fruit and lots of leaf growth, I looked into online research for plant companions. The Internet research emphasizes companion planting with flowers and planting vegies in non segmented locations. Then I also found the vegies could also grow with the fruit trees as companions for terrible pest problems eating the leaves and fruits each year, but the wildlife eats vegies, fruit, leaves and bark even also. Rethinking of placing fragrant vegies with fruit trees, but not sure as too the aroma and taste difference after growth. Anyone have ideas as to best option of onion, garlic and flower plants herbs for fruit trees. Rearranging my small fenced in garden with the companion planting is taking a lot of room and more companions herbs and other flower plants such as marigolds then vegies that I am wanting. Any suggestion, comments, would greatly be appreciated without using insecticides.

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:59 AM

4,193 posts, read 7,382,917 times
Google-Fu is your power. ACTIVATE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden