U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 08:23 PM

18,028 posts, read 19,719,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh my I hope I did not say something out of place that was certainly not my intention to imply or infer that you were not able to do this just wanted you to be aware that most of those 5 gallon buckets like I used one year wrenched my back while trying to move them . Especially when they were wet from the rain . I hope you will excuse me sometimes I don't know when to be quiet . I wish you nothing but good gardening .

Now that I am container gardening more than in ground I use these under my 5 gallon buckets & containers. Makes moving them around easy if they are getting to much rain or sun. I just pull my bucket around the patio watering & fertilizing quite easily now & no strain on my body what so ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 06:51 AM

16,990 posts, read 16,157,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Now that I am container gardening more than in ground I use these under my 5 gallon buckets & containers. Makes moving them around easy if they are getting to much rain or sun. I just pull my bucket around the patio watering & fertilizing quite easily now & no strain on my body what so ever.
Those look great. I'll be moving to an apartment so I should be looking into something like that. You need to move them around and big plants would be too heavy.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:45 PM

18,028 posts, read 19,719,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Those look great. I'll be moving to an apartment so I should be looking into something like that. You need to move them around and big plants would be too heavy.
They come in all sizes some with studier metal wheels even, this type works well with a full 5 gallon bucket of water for me. I get them at Lowe's but I'm sure other garden or lumbar centers carry them as well.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 PM

3,200 posts, read 1,756,915 times
More horn worms were found on our tomatoes today. My word, they can eat so much before you spot them! My backyard is quickly becoming a horn worm cemetery, however.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:32 AM

165,861 posts, read 73,435,532 times
First year with no hornworms yet.....
First year to attempt Brussels sprouts,
Potato digging 25% finished,
squash to pick when the rain stops.

The squash are in decorative planters resting on top of the river rock area next to sunny side of the house. The last few days they have been a showcase of golden flowers.

Next year we return to growing more things with a plasticulture mulch for weed and moisture control. Found a simple one plant or one seed at a time planter that will punch through the plastic with seeds as large or larger than cucumber. No bending and no cultivation required. I know the plant version does sweet potato plants and the right size tomato, pepper plants should. Pole beans will work.

The first two slicing tomatoes didn't taste to suite me. They were grown in high quality potting mix. I suspect nothing will have the flavor of in the ground grown tomatoes. In a few more days the Brandywines will be ready but I don't expect them to be any better. Cool nights are hindering okra growth but summer weather should start by the tenth. Some photos once the sunshines.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:01 PM

67,330 posts, read 77,045,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
First year with no hornworms yet.....
First year to attempt Brussels sprouts,
Potato digging 25% finished,
squash to pick when the rain stops.

The squash are in decorative planters resting on top of the river rock area next to sunny side of the house. The last few days they have been a showcase of golden flowers.

Next year we return to growing more things with a plasticulture mulch for weed and moisture control. Found a simple one plant or one seed at a time planter that will punch through the plastic with seeds as large or larger than cucumber. No bending and no cultivation required. I know the plant version does sweet potato plants and the right size tomato, pepper plants should. Pole beans will work.

The first two slicing tomatoes didn't taste to suite me. They were grown in high quality potting mix. I suspect nothing will have the flavor of in the ground grown tomatoes. In a few more days the Brandywines will be ready but I don't expect them to be any better. Cool nights are hindering okra growth but summer weather should start by the tenth. Some photos once the sunshines.
We haven't had hornworms since moving to AR but we had our share in NM> So, I can't blame my lack of tomatoes on anything, certainly nothing is eating them, we don't have enough to interest even a little worm. Now, in all fairness we have had a very unusual spring and early summer. Our temps, according to the paper this morning are the 4th lowest in history and we are more than 10 inches above normal for rain. I do have a few dozen tomatoes and some blooms. of course the okra is going to take over the garden which isn't very exciting to me, but hubbly will live every single one.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:51 AM

62,561 posts, read 44,880,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Close up of the weeds. Ugh. Decided to take advantage of todays low humidity and temps in 70s and start tackling this. The longer its left, the harder it is and more seeds will be around.

UPDATE:: July 7, 2017.

Back to normal. All I did was shovel a couple inches down and pile them up. Wonder if putting a black plastic over the pile will help burn off any more seeds left.

Close up of one of the mounds of weeds. . This is just from 2 months worth of growth.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:35 AM

16,990 posts, read 16,157,056 times
One reason I'm thankful that I can only have a very tiny garden now is those weeds. ^^^ I bet black plastic over them would help them dry out and croak. My weeds, I just disperse them into an unused plastic trough to die. As long as they're not lying on the soil to put down roots or to get moisture, they turn brown and dry up.

I screwed up this year and planted my tomatoes totally in compost from the bin. Maybe I said this already, lol.

The compost wasn't made right and I knew it. I'd just been throwing vegetable scrapings in all year long. Nothing else, so it wasn't balanced. There's not even any normal soil to throw in, just beach sand here.

So...my tomatoes grew and there were some flowers but no little tomatoes. I added some bone meal and now there are a few baby tomatoes, kind of late, but at least they are there. I do cheat and add commercial fertilizer to tomatoes since they are such heavy feeders--Miracle Gro for Tomatoes--18-18-21. The bone meal will quickly provide the needed phosphorus for flowers and fruits.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:57 AM

67,330 posts, read 77,045,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
One reason I'm thankful that I can only have a very tiny garden now is those weeds. ^^^ I bet black plastic over them would help them dry out and croak. My weeds, I just disperse them into an unused plastic trough to die. As long as they're not lying on the soil to put down roots or to get moisture, they turn brown and dry up.

I screwed up this year and planted my tomatoes totally in compost from the bin. Maybe I said this already, lol.

The compost wasn't made right and I knew it. I'd just been throwing vegetable scrapings in all year long. Nothing else, so it wasn't balanced. There's not even any normal soil to throw in, just beach sand here.

So...my tomatoes grew and there were some flowers but no little tomatoes. I added some bone meal and now there are a few baby tomatoes, kind of late, but at least they are there. I do cheat and add commercial fertilizer to tomatoes since they are such heavy feeders--Miracle Gro for Tomatoes--18-18-21. The bone meal will quickly provide the needed phosphorus for flowers and fruits.
even raised gardens have weed problems or in our case morning glory problems as well. I know a lot of you are going to frown when I say we use weed killer but we do. No, not on the ground surrounding the produce of the produce itself but the weeds around and behind our raised containers. Luckily we only have to spray about once a year. Hubby did it a few weeks ago. Any new weeds I can control and they grow so slow they will not amount to much between now and Oct.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:28 PM

165,861 posts, read 73,435,532 times
We are still learning what works and what doesn't do well. Temps are still cooler than normal. New soil type, sandstone. I have found black plastic mulch that comes in 48" & 60" x 1000' rolls. The 60" rolls will be used for all vining produce and row plantings of corn, beans, cow peas, etc. 48" for strawberries, tomatoes, potatoes. Most weeding eliminated with asparagus using wheat straw before it sprouts to keep weeds out of it. Blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries will use pine bark. Any weeds among the bramble berries will get a pinpoint dose of a contact only weed control. I know some of the weeds here will peek through the straw mulch. Biggest problem so far is neither bugs or weeds, it is moles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or