Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 03:36 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The squash patch, alias flower bed.

Today's haul

Network running very slow. More photos tomorrow
wow, I think I am going to cry and do it right now. or maybe just pour another glass of wine.

I can say, with some pride (not much) I am using fresh dill and fresh basil from our garden in our tomato pie tonight and I counted about 30 tomatoes on the vines today plus a few green beans. Of course, at the rate the tomatoes are growing we will be doing good if they are ripe before the first frost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 04:00 PM

26,635 posts, read 28,427,436 times
Summer squash look great and I didn't know you could grow them in pots either.

nmnita, just your luck, all the tomatoes will come at the same time. I'm down to ONE regular plant and TWO little heirloom cherries.

Been eating beet greens lately. The leaves are huge! It's a good year for gardening here due to all the rain showers and then lots of sun. I wish the beets themselves were ready to eat.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:30 PM

3,950 posts, read 4,188,738 times
Gorgeous squash, Nomadicus! Magazine-photo perfect! LOL

We have a bunch of "Super Italian" paste tomatoes getting ready to ripen. They have a nice blush on them. And it looks like "Super Sweet 100" cherry tomatoes are starting to pink up a bit. We have 6 tomato plants. I keep telling my husband that by August we will be standing on street corners, giving them away! Yikes. He started them in the basement during the winter, so they flowered and fruited pretty quickly after I put them outside. But we had such a cool, wet spring that I held off planting them outside until about a month ago.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:40 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,194,474 times
My first time trials. Poblano pepper, San Marzano tomatos, Brandywine tomatoes.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Nomadicus how do keep all that fresh once it is picked ? that is awesome your squash is the same size mine is and you grow in pots I'm impressed I alwasys heard you cant grow squash in pots ...guess your proved that theory wrong ty ty ....
Missed the keeping it fresh part. The secret is 3-4 plants per person planted every 10-14 days. Consume as they mature. Donate extras. They will keep a few days in a fridge veggie bin. Possibly some of the celery-lettuce keeping bags may work. Never tried.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 07-09-2017 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 05:03 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
Oh go sit down Nomad ya show off. My bell peppers got choked out by my ever expanding creeping spaghetti squash.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Oh go sit down Nomad ya show off. My bell peppers got choked out by my ever expanding creeping spaghetti squash.
I did sit down. Tried getting up and that as another story. I think today it will be used for bird watching. Container things get water and the focus on next season. Next season no long row of potatoes to plant and dig unless I find younger help. I lost 4 of 5 bell peppers 🙁. Moving made for a late start and then these ice age temps moved in. I could post pics of my 3 eggplants that are alive but as active as as a bedridden 110 year old. Gardening is like football. On paper every play in football is a touchdown. On paper every garden is a magazine cover with stories of filled cupboards and freezers. Reality the quarterback gets sacked every so often. When back on my feet I'll post some sacs. Now prune that runaway spaghetti squash.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
Well gals and guys sorry to report I'm wiped out all but one tomatoe plant survives . the others got blight and I'm done I pulled em out and trashed em . It is okay I have one left and she is my lil bush tomatoe and she is doing good so far . squash is doing great and putting squash out every other day yeah ....and next month I will start my lettuce and my fall butternut squash . Next year I'm doing hybrid tomatoes seems they are easier and healthier to grow not so many disease afflict them .

Old 07-10-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Summer squash look great and I didn't know you could grow them in pots either.

nmnita, just your luck, all the tomatoes will come at the same time. I'm down to ONE regular plant and TWO little heirloom cherries.

Been eating beet greens lately. The leaves are huge! It's a good year for gardening here due to all the rain showers and then lots of sun. I wish the beets themselves were ready to eat.
If enough come at once at least I will be able to can them or make salsa or tomato sauce. I just hate it when there are too many to eat and not enough to do anything else with. I can report I have a lot of pepper blossoms in the last few days and still getting the Thai peppers that are really hot, but yummy.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
My first time trials. Poblano pepper, San Marzano tomatos, Brandywine tomatoes.

OMG they are gorgeous; send me some and I will make something out of them for you and send it back. You know it is just getting into the full canning season. I particularly like the looks of those poblanos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden