U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 11:16 AM

9,331 posts, read 4,748,920 times

Advertisements

I don't have large yard for compost so I dumb my vegetable peels and egg shells in my trash bin. I throw in a few worms, they multiply like crazy and eat the vegetables. It works almost the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 12:30 PM

184,055 posts, read 75,008,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don't have large yard for compost so I dumb my vegetable peels and egg shells in my trash bin. I throw in a few worms, they multiply like crazy and eat the vegetables. It works almost the same way.
A great way for small yards. For the time being we are putting ours in holes where fruit trees go next year. Covering with soil to keep the bad bugs from using it as a breeding ground. We have a relative who bought a fancy factory compost bin that can be rolled around and back on it's base. Works like a charm. He then grows worms in finished compost. Being black it might get to hot to add worms to it. Now if he just had the place and time to play in the dirt.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just to keep my own compost updates threaded....

And now.... July 21, 2017. Neighbor had fresh grass cut so decided to turn it and mix it...

Nice pile. Plenty of rocks around like us. I think our truckload of rocks will be the base layer of raised beds. Picking bush beans today is killing us. Playing catch with weeds and rock gathering is taking a toll today. Still a pleasure for all veggies on tonight's dinner table to be home grown. By this time next week barring natural disaster daily harvesting will be our gym membership. Mainly bush beans and okra and Lima beans. 800' of row combined. It looks like some sweet corn.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:42 PM

Technical soil building article from U of TN. Works for any size lot or field. The principal is the same for conventional or organic growing.

https://extension.tennessee.edu/publ...nts/W235-I.pdf

Old 07-25-2017, 05:16 AM

65,039 posts, read 47,367,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
UPDATE:: July 7, 2017.

Back to normal. All I did was shovel a couple inches down and pile them up.

And 2 weeks later July 25th......just never ends!!!!

We had a nice dry spell for 7 days but as soon as it rained for 3 days BOOM... here they come.

Close up. UGH!

I might have to resort to chemicals now. Since I don't have anything growing there this year, why not? Hopefully the chemicals dilute by next Spring though.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:37 AM

If 24-D is in a weed control product there are two different formulas. It's pick your poisin. One is totally safe for a week later but must be used when wind speed is almost dead calm. It does not enter soil viable. The amine formiula does but if not used very late in the year where the early spring plants go in it too should be safe. I would never use any weed control product that contains atrazine as one of the active ingredients. It's in my eyes far worse than DDT ever was. Large sheets of thick black plastic that can be taken up and folded and reused are an option for smaller spaces. The new formulas of Roundup Plus contain atrazine and I refuse to use. I do use sparingly the original pure Roundup. On sloping ground many crops can be planted directly into the soil without tilling. Weeds are killed with mix of original Roundup and ester formula of 24-D and seed planted in the trash covered ground greatly aiding in soil loss to erosion. Even in small sweet corn patches it will work. The burned weeds become the water saving mulch. I think I'm going to grow a small block of clover and till in and the sow a rye cover to burn off and do a notill sweet corn patch next year. In a previous life I sold grain drills that planted wheat and soybeans into notill fields. I think I should try it here as the soil is poor and slopes.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:03 PM

The Very Ugly, Bad, and a little Good

Very Ugly

Brandywine

Jetstars let go..

Even San Marzano tomatoes not impressive

Bad. Bad job of slinging fertilizer in the twilight by hand. Lima bean patch. Lower left didn't get any.

The bulk of the Lima beans are more like this where I had my arm working right.

Okra is good. From the tilling to a close up showing soon to be open blossoms

Sweet corn is bad. I didn't thin it properly and not many ears. Kandy Korn.

The Okra is under attack by ants with their milking aphids. It's war. Organic based and it's lethal on contact. Can't be used around open blossoms or it will kill bees. This product is label for use up to the day of harvest. Short life time of being lethal to bugs. Normally I'd use after sunset and it's done before sunrise when bees are active.

It's been all out warfare with deer fighting me for the apple trees at the end of the bean patch. Finally with enough deer repellant these have got a start from the stick. Planted bare root this last spring.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:07 PM

2,698 posts, read 1,774,631 times
Pyrethrin. We used to use that until we got too lazy. It worked well!

I want my Celebs to ripen. The teeny bite we tasted off one was delicious.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:51 PM

28,385 posts, read 2,213,490 times
How long between the flower fading & seeing the baby veg? I have a patty pan squash plant, It has had a few blossoms, but I still don't see any veg sprouting. Also, I have 2 tomato plants, one has given us a few tomatoes, the other one is mostly just green leaves. Any tips.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:58 PM

13,120 posts, read 17,664,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
How long between the flower fading & seeing the baby veg? I have a patty pan squash plant, It has had a few blossoms, but I still don't see any veg sprouting. Also, I have 2 tomato plants, one has given us a few tomatoes, the other one is mostly just green leaves. Any tips.

yes ground up egg shells and Epsom salts for the tomatoes and the squash . side dress the tomato plant which means dig a hole beside the tomato plant and pour a tblsp into the hole and cover up and water . then dig another hole and put in ground up egg shells now you want those egg shells like a powder I use my food processor for the job and it works perfectly .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or