U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 05:19 PM

183,870 posts, read 74,970,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
How long between the flower fading & seeing the baby veg? I have a patty pan squash plant, It has had a few blossoms, but I still don't see any veg sprouting. Also, I have 2 tomato plants, one has given us a few tomatoes, the other one is mostly just green leaves. Any tips.
You are probably seeing only male flowers on the squash now. Female blossoms will have very small squash that will develop very rapidly once pollinated. Bees where I am are very active by sunrise. Use no insecticides until after dusk and then very carefully on the main stem only. I have some that will bloom soon. Maybe a week behind yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 PM

First young buck to invade. 5' from losing his buckskin.

Okra invaded by aphids farmed by ants and they've been hit by my wrath...

Old 07-26-2017, 05:57 AM

64,991 posts, read 47,303,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Dishsoap, Canola Oil, Water all mixed together does the trick.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:58 AM

64,991 posts, read 47,303,288 times
July 26, 2017: 58.3F low this morning.. 69F Max and clouds past 2 days. Rain and Clouds 2 days before that. Heat Wave Last week.

No ripe Tomato yet except cherries. Only needed to water like 5 times this year. Rain, wet ground, not many 85+ days

With temps staying under 85F next 7 days, I don't see any big growth coming.

Bell Peppers ready to ripen...but when?

Not one cucumber picked yet. They like the constant heat and like the soil to dry out and unfortunately for them we haven't had much of that this summer.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Dishsoap, Canola Oil, Water all mixed together does the trick.
With no blooms anywhere near I took out those carpenter ants with an organic phosphate that will last for a couple of days. Didn't want to make them mad but rather dead. The ants are the remnants of the colony that took out a 60' red oak. Extract of mums will be used every other day now for awhile. Okra to ants and aphids is like candy to unsupervised kids.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:01 PM

28,207 posts, read 2,196,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yes ground up egg shells and Epsom salts for the tomatoes and the squash . side dress the tomato plant which means dig a hole beside the tomato plant and pour a tblsp into the hole and cover up and water . then dig another hole and put in ground up egg shells now you want those egg shells like a powder I use my food processor for the job and it works perfectly .
Thank you. & also thanks to nomadiscus. I couldn't get the multi quote feature to work for me

Old 07-26-2017, 12:11 PM

17,993 posts, read 17,140,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Thank you. & also thanks to nomadiscus. I couldn't get the multi quote feature to work for me

(I've never been able to get multi quote to work.)

Nice pictures. I can only dream of my Black Cherry tomatoes ripening. It's like watching paint dry.

The weather's been so cold lately, down from the 90s into the 50s and now finally back in the 70s again.

I'm drinking a very healthy smoothie that has fresh organic beet greens in it--disguised with chocolate, lol.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:15 PM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
(I've never been able to get multi quote to work.)

Nice pictures. I can only dream of my Black Cherry tomatoes ripening. It's like watching paint dry.

The weather's been so cold lately, down from the 90s into the 50s and now finally back in the 70s again.

I'm drinking a very healthy smoothie that has fresh organic beet greens in it--disguised with chocolate, lol.

Oh the shame organic beets and chocolate LOL ....wink wink

Old 07-26-2017, 01:31 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
First young buck to invade. 5' from losing his buckskin.

looking at the deer, I thought you must have shot the picture from our back yard? As for the okra, ours is doing fine if I would just give it a little more water. I hate this time of the year. We were so spoiled earlier when we had rain, rain and too much rain. Now we want a few drops and all it can do is come close enough to tease us. Now they are saying maybe Friday. I guess I had better get my butt up and go hand water. I did a couple of days ago.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:12 PM

Multiquote tip for all. Click the "" icon on each post you want to quote. Click the Quote on the last of the set. I think this is how I do it.. Some one should check me. Meantime nap is over and I need to do a patrol. We gave a neighbor today's picking of beans. She picked them. Also she will help gather the rocks to ready an area to till the weeds under and get it ready for a cover crop. Win Win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or