U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 01:32 PM

17,720 posts, read 16,924,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
because the leaves most likely wont be up until September and you must water daily too . but the extension service where I live told me the days to plant the lettuce . and by September it is chilly and then October
Oh, that's right. They do take a while to germinate. I wonder if that would work around here. Hot as Hades until early September but there's a hard frost about October 15th. They'd freeze to death on Oct. 15th. Of course if I had them in pots and could bring them in at night...

PICKED my first Celebrity tomato today. It's not quite ripe but I picked it anyway, figuring that getting it off the vine will help the others that are starting to ripen. Maybe cut it up for pizza tomorrow! These Celebrities have ripened faster than the Early boys/girls. Or maybe this plant was bigger when I purchased it. All I know is they grow great and they just needed a hot day to start the ripening process.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:41 AM

2,069 posts, read 2,656,890 times
Of the 20 varieties of new to me tomatoes I started and planted this year, I am really impressed with Dixie Golden Giant. Huge size, minimal cracking, meaty and very tasty. One I picked on Tuesday weighed in at 22oz.....as you can see, three fill an 11" plate.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 08:20 AM

2,652 posts, read 1,740,702 times
Next year, we'll grow more 'maters, but in those earth boxes. Two years ago, we had a couple of black-types in the box, and they got totally blown over by a storm. I propped them up on a ladder as best I could, and they continued spewing tomatoes at me until frost.

Last year we only had Black Prince in a regular pot, and it didn't do nearly as well (this year we couldn't find any black-types at all).

I hope we can try poblanos next year. Gypsy, Carmen and Coolapeño did pretty well. And I hope to remember to succession-plant beans.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:37 AM

68,817 posts, read 78,933,716 times
I do have a lot of tomato blossoms and about 1/2 dozen tomatoes plus I picked 6 okra yesterday and have a few jalapenos about to be picked. This has been the worst year of my life for gardening I think. Everything looks great and green, but no production. Part is due to our unusual cool summer and mostly the damn morning glories shading everything. Hubby pulled most of it our a few days ago, is going to finish pretty soon.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:17 AM

181,761 posts, read 74,710,740 times
Tomatoes are done for the year except one brandywine and one experiment with a sucker I rooted and am planting today. Next year Neem oil will be used early on in tomatoes for disease control. It's labeled for organic or natural control of scale insects, insects, and fungus problems. The fungicide control from the Next em oil might have extended the tomato season this wet & humid year. Okra is producing enough now for 4 meals a week. Soon enough to vacuum seal for out of season use. Next year most things will be planted on raised ridges covered with a black plastic mulch for moisture conservation, weed control, and ground warming for an earlier start. With the "Stand and Plant" seeder there will be a lot less wear & tear on our backs. No bending to thin anything and not near as much bending picking being grown a foot higher on a ridge.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:34 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,336,574 times
For anyone who has read this entire thread, many, many pages back, I mentioned that this was my first year doing any sort of garden. Well, it has definitely been a learning experience. We planted a few cilantro plants which started producing pretty much right away. Then after about a month, they grew like weeds and looked like them. All they did was flower which didn't do us any good. Reading about this, it seemed that they weren't getting enough water even though all the other veggies were doing fine. I tried trimming them in hopes that they wouldn't need as much water, but it probably did more harm than good. Next year, I will pass on growing these.

Another learning experience was in the planting itself. I royally under-estimated the size that some veggie plants can get. We planted two zucchini plants and they both are starting to produce, but wow the plants take up a lot of real estate. They were overtaking a few other pepper plants which we have to the point where the pepper plants weren't getting any sun at all. Having said that, the picked zucchini's we have harvested tasted AMAZING.

Our tomato plants are growing like wildfire and within a few weeks, I'll be up to my eyeballs in Beefsteak tomatoes and cherry tomatoes.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:49 AM

13,029 posts, read 17,493,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Next year, we'll grow more 'maters, but in those earth boxes. Two years ago, we had a couple of black-types in the box, and they got totally blown over by a storm. I propped them up on a ladder as best I could, and they continued spewing tomatoes at me until frost.

Last year we only had Black Prince in a regular pot, and it didn't do nearly as well (this year we couldn't find any black-types at all).

I hope we can try poblanos next year. Gypsy, Carmen and Coolapeño did pretty well. And I hope to remember to succession-plant beans.

Hey I have some black prince seeds I can send you if you would like to trade for some of what you have ?

Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM

13,029 posts, read 17,493,171 times
my pumpkin plant is going crazy it already has blooms on it so looks like they will get there by Halloween or thanksgiving which will be good .

Old 08-10-2017, 02:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 7,574,741 times
Has anyone ever had a cucumber plant with no tendrils? It's small, growth seems stopped, but it's producing fruit. I had to pull it up the cage to keep it off the ground. Now the leaves, not many because it never got too big, are turing yellow. I'm ready to just yank it out of the ground and be done with it.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:17 PM

22,468 posts, read 21,502,648 times
I ripped out my one zucchini plant. It was covered in powdery mildew, the flowers had been knocked off by torrential rains, and all of the new flowers were male. I put it out of its misery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or