U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 PM

22,388 posts, read 21,414,088 times

Advertisements

Something is enjoying the basil. Half of the leaves are chewed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 04:21 AM

2,631 posts, read 1,728,254 times
A pair of orioles decimated our already-pathetic tomato crop.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:29 AM

68,686 posts, read 78,731,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Attachment 189094Here is my garden on steroids. This is the first summer in Washington, and boy did my garden grow. The tomato plants are all over six feet, they finally knocked over the cages, so I'm letting them ramble. Cukes, squash, peppers, eggplant, lots of herbs. I'm loving zone 8.
good for you. Everything looks so pretty and green. Our gardens here look green as well. We have had a cool and wet summer, the problem it has been too cool for AR and our gardens while green have not produced well for the most part. I only know a few people who are happy with this years crop.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:31 AM

68,686 posts, read 78,731,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
A pair of orioles decimated our already-pathetic tomato crop.
they must have had lunch at your house and they visited us for dinner and a midnight snack. If it was your Orioles it might have been the Cardinals next door but our little tomatoes have also fed the birds this year. DAMN.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:05 PM

3,257 posts, read 1,890,694 times
This has been a lousy year for tomatoes, here in NJ Zone 7b. Last year, it was hot and dry, and the tomato plants grew and produced like crazy. This year, the plants are not as tall and are definitely producing less fruit. Our summer has been wet, wet, wet. Relatively few sunny, dry days like today. Oh, well, can't win them all. The pepper plants seem to be happy regardless.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:18 PM

2,631 posts, read 1,728,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
they must have had lunch at your house and they visited us for dinner and a midnight snack. If it was your Orioles it might have been the Cardinals next door but our little tomatoes have also fed the birds this year. DAMN.
They keep doing it.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:41 PM

118,437 posts, read 13,520,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
This has been a lousy year for tomatoes, here in NJ Zone 7b. Last year, it was hot and dry, and the tomato plants grew and produced like crazy. This year, the plants are not as tall and are definitely producing less fruit. Our summer has been wet, wet, wet. Relatively few sunny, dry days like today. Oh, well, can't win them all. The pepper plants seem to be happy regardless.

For us it is the worst harvest ever.The rain destroyed a lot.Out of 21 garlic I had only 2 left.My okra plants never grew except one is now 2 hand tall.My onions are doing very well,green and red chilies I have 2 sandwich bags frozen already.My tomato plants look so skinny and see through them.The early girls are finally turning orange and red.My little sweet millions are ripening and look so red but it is a daily who picks them first.Either the 2 naughty squirrels,our wild rabbits or me.Something just bites into them and leaves the rest hanging.Very naughty,very bad.Overall it rained so much here and the high humidity makes it even worse.
So I feel for all of you who have a smaller harvest this year.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:20 PM

17,658 posts, read 16,849,500 times
Well, I must live in the sweet spot because out of two cherry tomato plants and once Celebrity plant, I'm making tomato juice every day and tomato slices on sandwiches and more waiting to be used!, more still on the vine!

Beets will be used up pretty soon, summer is ending. I'll cook up a mess of beet greens and in another week, pull up the rest of the beets. We haven't had that much rain--just enough so that I don't have to go out and water 3 times a day! It has been raining nicely during the night and then the days are warm and sunny. It's been a gorgeous summer here, for once.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:51 PM

3,257 posts, read 1,890,694 times
Spotted 2 hornworms covered in parasitic wasp pupae today. On 2 different tomato plants. Both caterpillars were deceased, with one looking like only a shell of the caterpillar was left. Hard to feel sorry for them, considering how much damage they can do to tomato plants in a jiffy.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:47 AM

180,617 posts, read 74,567,096 times
I forgot to check a later planted pot of Patty Pan squash and to my surprise my wife cam in with a bucket full. She stuffed a pair for dinner last night. Okra needs picking, Roma II beans need picking, wax beans need picking but the beautiful stand of lima beans bloomed their hearts out but the pods aren't filling out. Maybe that is just as well with no young backs around to pick such. With the promise of a warm September there should be enough okra in the freezer until next years crop produces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or