U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 01:19 PM

27,533 posts, read 2,152,439 times

Advertisements

A basil & other herb question. This past summer I bought 4 or 5 herb plants at the nursery. I kept them on a shelf on my porch fence, so they got plenty of sun during the summer. In fact I had to move the sage & oregano becasue I think it was too hot for them, but my basil plant loved it. Now my beloved basil plant, which had a load of good edible leaves left on it, looks like it is dead. Should I bring it into the kitchen? Will that revive it. The weather had become colder, but I don;t think we have had any frosts yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 08:15 AM

183,129 posts, read 74,878,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
A basil & other herb question. This past summer I bought 4 or 5 herb plants at the nursery. I kept them on a shelf on my porch fence, so they got plenty of sun during the summer. In fact I had to move the sage & oregano becasue I think it was too hot for them, but my basil plant loved it. Now my beloved basil plant, which had a load of good edible leaves left on it, looks like it is dead. Should I bring it into the kitchen? Will that revive it. The weather had become colder, but I don;t think we have had any frosts yet.
If the green leaves look like they have been steamed Jack Frost may have struck in the night. Under the right conditions frost can occur above freezing temps.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:20 AM

27,533 posts, read 2,152,439 times
Thank you, Nomadicus

Old 01-15-2018, 12:05 PM

183,129 posts, read 74,878,122 times
Something new planned for this year is to use a stand and plant type seeder through plastic mulch for okra, corn, etc. Bending is out of the question for planting. Special strains of hot pepper plants will be ordered for experimental uses in the kitchen. Some are just not available locally and are very difficult to start from seed.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:16 PM

69,136 posts, read 79,243,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Something new planned for this year is to use a stand and plant type seeder through plastic mulch for okra, corn, etc. Bending is out of the question for planting. Special strains of hot pepper plants will be ordered for experimental uses in the kitchen. Some are just not available locally and are very difficult to start from seed.
know the back situation. That is why I just ordered 2 plant containers that,hopefully will be deep enough. They are 30 inches high, so know bending. I did keep a couple of my old containers and will need to bend a little to get the plants started. I usually take a chair out and set on it while doing my planting.

Our old garden area (dog run) did come down today. It only took them about 20 minute to get it out, move the planters we are keeping and load everything else in their trailer. They did this while the snow kept falling. I guess he was serious when he told us he would be here, rain or snow. Now to decide what I will plant where. We have a very small patio square off our master bedroom. That will become our garden area and our grill and smoker will be moved to where the old garden was. My biggest challenge will be doing a trillis, that will give the tomatoes something to climb on and finding something to secure it to.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:47 AM

my raised planters arrived a few days ago and hubby put them together in about 5 minutes. They are now out in the yard, enjoying themselves before we fill them with soil. I love them except they are not very deep. 2 weeks from today my daughter and my 2 granddaughters are coming over so we can start our tomato seeds and then have lunch. It is beginning to feel like spring will come one of these days. I am so looking forward to less bending this year.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:41 PM

2,189 posts, read 977,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
my raised planters arrived a few days ago and hubby put them together in about 5 minutes. They are now out in the yard, enjoying themselves before we fill them with soil. I love them except they are not very deep. 2 weeks from today my daughter and my 2 granddaughters are coming over so we can start our tomato seeds and then have lunch. It is beginning to feel like spring will come one of these days. I am so looking forward to less bending this year.
I'm envious nmnita. If they are at least ten inches you are good to go. If you want to plant root crops like carrots, just dig down a few inches to loosen the soil.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:42 AM

64,784 posts, read 47,110,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Nice! Had to look at your location because we still got another 2 months to go to play with dirt outside. Ground frozen here. Yes, early Spring is a good time of the year.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I'm envious nmnita. If they are at least ten inches you are good to go. If you want to plant root crops like carrots, just dig down a few inches to loosen the soil.
ordered them through Amazon and the reviews did say, they were deep enough to grown tomatoes but they are only about 8 inches. I think for the tomatoes I am going to depend on 2 of my other planters I have used before. I will just take a chair out and sit while I add the dirt and plants. I will keep the new planters for peppers and herbs mostly. I might try my okra or beans in them as well.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:46 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,377,862 times
Nita you may want to post a review on amazon so other buyers know the deal. 8 inches seems shallow to me. Glad to see all of the posts. It is still to early here as well...and we got snow today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or