U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 05:06 PM

15,221 posts, read 3,114,751 times

Advertisements

Pulled up basil and mint, both eaten by aphids.

I'll replace them and have already bought NEEM Oil as a preventative and treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 05:07 PM

Using fungicides on tomatoes....do I use it before I see evidence of disease, as a preventative? Or just after disease is beginning?

Old 06-02-2018, 05:14 PM

180,371 posts, read 74,552,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Using fungicides on tomatoes....do I use it before I see evidence of disease, as a preventative? Or just after disease is beginning?
I like to start with at least some disease resistant varieties. If more than a day of rain is forecast i’d use one of the fungicides approved for tomatoes. Tomatoes don’t like showers. There are organic fungicides available but how well they work I don’t know. To solve the rain problem with tomatoes I want a covered row that can be watered at the base. Many hundred acres of commercial tomatoes are most likely lost this year due to daily rains. I would start before the rains.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:58 AM

12,986 posts, read 17,424,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I know I have had days of rain and there was a storm last night here and it hit with a vegenance and I also use fungicide on my roses due to black spot . black spot rears its ugly head everytime it rains . I swear I don't know how farmers did it back in the 1800s cause my family would have starved to death LOL .

Old 06-06-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I know I have had days of rain and there was a storm last night here and it hit with a vegenance and I also use fungicide on my roses due to black spot . black spot rears its ugly head everytime it rains . I swear I don't know how farmers did it back in the 1800s cause my family would have starved to death LOL .
You're right...

one of my tomatoes is disease resistant, all leaves green...patio tomato is having a hard time...so sprayed it good with fungicide, took off diseased leaves...we'll see what happens. It's supposed to rain again. we just had weeks of torrential rain recently...

Old 06-07-2018, 02:07 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,098,110 times
Quote:
I agree!! LOL

Old 06-07-2018, 02:23 PM

180,371 posts, read 74,552,587 times
We just drove past what was a beautiful field of Delmonte commercial tomatoes and today it was only brown stems bearing loads of wasted red tomatoes. I suspect they were lost to day after day of monsoon conditions. No amount of plant breeding and fungicides can withstand what central FL received from the recent gulf storm. As for home gardens I ha e not seen any locally this year. I’ve got not the first seed in this year. This week a friend finally got our garden patch in TN mowed off from the same storm. The summer grasses and other weeds were nearly waist high on me. That’s getting some organic matter put in the soil the hard way.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:01 AM

I have been being a bad girl and picking the green tomatoes and they are huge by the way and putting them in a brown paper sack and letting them ripen on the shelf . I am scared if I don't do this I wont have a single fresh off the vine tomatoe if you know what I mean . I had one on the vine that had b.e.r. and I threw that one away too small and it was awful . Yep cindy that is sad all that beautiful fruit gone to waist which means tomatoes will be high this year after the season goes away you can bet that .

Old 06-11-2018, 06:37 PM

18,052 posts, read 19,949,413 times
Quote:
I have been being a bad girl and picking the green tomatoes and they are huge by the way and putting them in a brown paper sack and letting them ripen on the shelf . I am scared if I don't do this I wont have a single fresh off the vine tomatoe if you know what I mean . I had one on the vine that had b.e.r. and I threw that one away too small and it was awful . Yep cindy that is sad all that beautiful fruit gone to waist which means tomatoes will be high this year after the season goes away you can bet that .
I still have blooms only but fear I'll have BER have some white spots on the curled up leaves now. We have been getting down pours of rain I have the 5 gallon bucket tomato under shelter trying to save it hopefully.

My buttercrunch lettuce is growing like wildfire! My neighbors are shutting their blinds and not answering the doors.... like I have zuke to give them or something.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:21 AM

im really delighted this morning because I went outside and found out that a candystripe zinnia had bloomed and they are really pretty . first time planting and growing these and im very happy with what I see . Omg I picked a 2.5 lb tomatoe off the german pink yesterday . and I just have never seen that big of a tomatoe in my gardens in a long time .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or