Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 03:34 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,835,237 times

Advertisements

Alas...woe is me. Blossom end rot on tomatoes...going to feed with a fertilizer with calcium and hope that helps...the plants looks awesome. the fruits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 03:52 PM

50,322 posts, read 63,881,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Alas...woe is me. Blossom end rot on tomatoes...going to feed with a fertilizer with calcium and hope that helps...the plants looks awesome. the fruits
This is why I stay with cherry tomatoes. They don’t seem to have time to develope bad stuff.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is why I stay with cherry tomatoes. They don’t seem to have time to develope bad stuff.
I miss cherries this yr....

Old 07-10-2018, 04:10 PM

50,322 posts, read 63,881,443 times
So, today I visited my totally ignored “herb garden”, which is a toney name for “the place that used to be the vegetable garden, but is now a testament to failure”. It’s behind the garage, so if I don’t go there on purpose, I don’t know what’s happening.

I have rosemary, oregano and thyme, that thrive on neglect there, and I was happy to see the oregano was flowering and loaded with bees. I used some thyme and oregano for dinner.

Also my dead as a door nail orange tree in a pot was stashed out there, and today I noticed that it has sprouted shoots below the graft. It will be interesting to see what developes there.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,650,576 times
well I am on my way out to water and to pick tomatoes and peppers. The cherry tomatoes are everywhere and silly hubby said, when our daughter called to ask if we needed any cherry tomatoes, sure, we love tomatoes.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:25 AM

Nomad are you around?

My cucumbers have lots of blooms and tiny cukes but very slow growing...I used to them just growing over a couple of days then ready to eat....? Any ideas?
Watering daily...

Old 07-13-2018, 11:54 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,540,724 times
Quote:
Nomad are you around?

My cucumbers have lots of blooms and tiny cukes but very slow growing...I used to them just growing over a couple of days then ready to eat....? Any ideas?
Watering daily...
Cukes it seems to me take 4-5 days to size up. It may vary somewhat as to the variety too. There could have been an error in seed packaging? Other variables that may not ever bee known too.

Are they getting sun and plenty of ready to use nitrogen... My grandfather grew cucumbers back when he packed them in wooden crates and took them to the local state market where they would be auctioned to the highest bidder. In the field they grew very fast. Cucumber demand nitrogen to grow fast and be tender.
Nitrate of Soda was the field solution. I wouldn't use it in a home garden unless very skilled in it's use. It can burn. There are a few vegetables that need all the nutrition they can get released and available due to fast maturing times. Cukes are one of them. They don't like to wait for the soil to getting around to breaking their meals down. A bit of Trivia. I was born in what at the time was the Cucumber Capitol of the world. Cucumbers and citrus provided the livelihoods for the population. Average earnings from an acre of cucumbers in the 50's was $1,000.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Cukes it seems to me take 4-5 days to size up. It may vary somewhat as to the variety too. There could have been an error in seed packaging? Other variables that may not ever bee known too.

Are they getting sun and plenty of ready to use nitrogen... My grandfather grew cucumbers back when he packed them in wooden crates and took them to the local state market where they would be auctioned to the highest bidder. In the field they grew very fast. Cucumber demand nitrogen to grow fast and be tender.
Nitrate of Soda was the field solution. I wouldn't use it in a home garden unless very skilled in it's use. It can burn. There are a few vegetables that need all the nutrition they can get released and available due to fast maturing times. Cukes are one of them. They don't like to wait for the soil to getting around to breaking their meals down. A bit of Trivia. I was born in what at the time was the Cucumber Capitol of the world. Cucumbers and citrus provided the livelihoods for the population. Average earnings from an acre of cucumbers in the 50's was $1,000.
I ordered some fast-absorbed granular fertilizer...will try that...maybe I'm just anxious. I've gotten only one but it was delicious...no bugs yet...

thanks

Old 07-13-2018, 12:06 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,540,724 times
Quote:
I ordered some fast-absorbed granular fertilizer...will try that...maybe I'm just anxious. I've gotten only one but it was delicious...no bugs yet...

thanks
I normally use miracle gro because it has all the trace minerals that some plain granular does not have. When dissolved and watered in it will make a cucumber that is suppose to grow full size get there. I firmly believe that if any of the elements that plants need are missing then the will not have the nutrition in them we need. So many of the natural mineral that came with the good earth are now in the oceans of the world. That's were the salts came from, from our fields down the creeks, rivers, to the oceans.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I normally use miracle gro because it has all the trace minerals that some plain granular does not have. When dissolved and watered in it will make a cucumber that is suppose to grow full size get there. I firmly believe that if any of the elements that plants need are missing then the will not have the nutrition in them we need. So many of the natural mineral that came with the good earth are now in the oceans of the world. That's were the salts came from, from our fields down the creeks, rivers, to the oceans.
I did order Miracle Gro....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden