Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2018, 04:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Possibly a bush variety of acorn squash. It’s normal for vining type winter squash to flower heavy with male flowers before the female flowers come on. Don’t give up the ship yet. No more nitrogen is one suggestion.
thanks, I think my winter squash is acorn but whatever I do have hope for it, but the summer squash I really don't think it is going to give us any fruit. every year is trial and error for me. I am missing my time in NM when all I did was plant the seeds or the little plants and had stuff growing everywhere. By the time i get this container gardening down to a science I will be too old to garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 05:03 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,550,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
thanks, I think my winter squash is acorn but whatever I do have hope for it, but the summer squash I really don't think it is going to give us any fruit. every year is trial and error for me. I am missing my time in NM when all I did was plant the seeds or the little plants and had stuff growing everywhere. By the time i get this container gardening down to a science I will be too old to garden.
I'm planting yellow squash and patty pans in another hour or so. It's 58° outside and I like that but the summer vegetables don't. If I can find the help to hire I'm building a raised bed with 2x8 rough sawn lumber 4' wide and 100' long for next year. Bending is no longer an option but I'm not going down without a fight.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:24 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
I know im thinking about doing raised beds myself next season . we had a heavy down pour yesterday and it wiped out my zinnias in front of my deck . I had to remove the dead this morning and it was so heart breaking and they were doing so well however my cucumbers did not take much of a hit and they are still tied up thank god the weather was awful .

Old 07-30-2018, 12:32 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
I'm planting yellow squash and patty pans in another hour or so. It's 58° outside and I like that but the summer vegetables don't. If I can find the help to hire I'm building a raised bed with 2x8 rough sawn lumber 4' wide and 100' long for next year. Bending is no longer an option but I'm not going down without a fight.
Love raised beds! They'll be great for you...no dreading of picking vegetables from the ground...

Old 07-30-2018, 01:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Love raised beds! They'll be great for you...no dreading of picking vegetables from the ground...
the raised beds are making it easier for many of us to continue gardening.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the raised beds are making it easier for many of us to continue gardening.
Oh me too....that and containers...

they are awesome for the physically challenged, those in wheelchairs, the elderly, kids etc.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
Hi everyone! How are your gardens doing? We had a drought that almost KO'd mine, but a few torrential downpours later...

Old 07-31-2018, 04:53 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,550,180 times
Not much going for me this year. I couldn't stay home to take care of it. Today our one and only tomato plant has its first tomato starting to turn... One eggplant will soon have a ready to use fruit. Basil has gone wild. Fresh tomatoes meet basil in the sauce pot this weekend. Today mustard, collards, turnip, & kohlrabi seed were purchased with hopes of a fall crop.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Not much going for me this year. I couldn't stay home to take care of it. Today our one and only tomato plant has its first tomato starting to turn... One eggplant will soon have a ready to use fruit. Basil has gone wild. Fresh tomatoes meet basil in the sauce pot this weekend. Today mustard, collards, turnip, & kohlrabi seed were purchased with hopes of a fall crop.
Sounds like a good garden since you were closing up in FL this spring....never seen kohlrabi grow...

Old 08-01-2018, 08:58 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,396,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh me too....that and containers...

they are awesome for the physically challenged, those in wheelchairs, the elderly, kids etc.
And just lazy folks like us.

Tomatoes doing well! Those whirlygigs we attached to the mater containers seem to be working for now. The Patios are bland, but Celebrity is really nice this year. We have some Better Boy and Bonnie Special almost ripe. And we're looking for people to take some peppers off our hands.

Still a bad year for beans, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden