U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 03:19 PM

13,819 posts, read 18,771,405 times

Advertisements

well here the marigolds are late blooming . our cukes are small too but I did only plant pickling ones because I like the smaller ones . my tomatoes are still green and growing but it looks like the plant got zapped by the 100 + temps we had about a month ago and it just zapped it I cant explain it other than it went dormant because it curled up and only produced 4 awesome sized tomatoes . Im just waiting for them to redden up and then they will be eaten and enjoyed .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 05:37 AM

69,160 posts, read 51,348,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well here the marigolds are late blooming . our cukes are small too but I did only plant pickling ones because I like the smaller ones . my tomatoes are still green and growing but it looks like the plant got zapped by the 100 + temps we had about a month ago and it just zapped it I cant explain it other than it went dormant because it curled up and only produced 4 awesome sized tomatoes . Im just waiting for them to redden up and then they will be eaten and enjoyed .
I love those pickling sizes. Great taste and great for pickling. Yeah, Tomatoes hate heat. They pretty much prefer a range of 65-85 temps. Anything above or below and they start going in shut down mode.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:51 AM

June 16, 2019 Update. Couple of pics...

Not a hot June so far so nothing is really taking off. But things looking ok still considering all the rains we're getting.

Fava Beans, starting to produce the pods. I'll get a close up once they have more.

Onions, getting bigger even though there hasn't been heat. We haven't been above 80F here yet.

Closeup

Tomatoes.

Still a month away from the first red one. Except the cherry ones should be sooner. This one is called Steak Sandwich.

Snap Peas.

Cucumbers. Soil temp still in the 60s. They better hurry up. Only 3 months of growing season left.

Okra and Weeds. The saddest part of the bed. lol

Bell Peppers and Potatoes

Hot peppers

Old 06-16-2019, 07:09 AM

sadly I had to pull the cucumber plants they are small and tasteless aka national pickling cucumbers . Last year I planted sumter cucumbers and they were wonderful . I have learned my lesson . of course the weather has been strange this year we had that heat wave and it seemed to zap everything but what are you going to do ? you cant control the weather . august 25th I will put my lettuce seeds in and I will clear a patch for my winter squash as well . I have been growing a tomato plant from a sucker and so far so good so I might get late season tomatoes I sure hope so . boy I have never seen marigolds take so long to bloom as this year also and apparently im not the only one noticing this . Another lady I talk to said her marigolds had not bloomed yet either . It could be the heat as well but I have never had that problem since living in this house for 5 years .of course never had temps for 100 + for 5 days in a row which like I said seemed to zap a lot of plants .

Old 06-19-2019, 09:20 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
I just picked 5 cukes: they are going wild but haven't tasted yet: I just hope they have flavor as I probably have 20 or more with a lot more blooms. The ones I picked are pretty funny looking: they are round instead of long, but some still on the vines are normal shaped and they are pickling cukes, thus I hope I can pickle a couple of jars or more. I also just picked my first tomato. OK, so it isn't quite wipe: I am going to put it in the window and it should be ready in a few days. this is what we wait for from Oct until June: The wonderful garden full of fresh produce.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Well low and behold the marigolds are blooming yeah !!!! Lovely tall marigolds with orange and yellow . I did not realize that I had intertwined yellow and orange LOL . But they are lovely none the less .

Old 06-21-2019, 04:32 PM

24,962 posts, read 23,873,661 times
The resident groundhog just ate about 2/3 of one of my tomato plants. I only have two this year, so it's a major setback. The glutton at least left one tiny tomato and a few flowers.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:54 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The resident groundhog just ate about 2/3 of one of my tomato plants. I only have two this year, so it's a major setback. The glutton at least left one tiny tomato and a few flowers.
That is so sad: DAmn cute wild animals. We are lucky, we have deer, ground hogs, squirrels, armalilios, ever kind of bird imaginable and a few other creatures but rarely do they eat much of our produce. I certainly can not complain. Now more good news, I have now picked 3 tomatoes as well as peppers, and I have lots of cukes plus bean blossoms. I have already, as I said a few days ago picked cukes. They are super tasty and with so many I will probably have enough to can a few jars... My tomatoes, on the other side are not very big and really have tough skins. I think the rain has just planned HELL with them this year. Hopefully as the summer progresses the quality will improve.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oh man, hate when that happens. Sorry to hear this. Curious if that 1 plant grows back and blossoms still. Still plenty of time for you down there. You thinking about putting a net over the plants?

Old 06-22-2019, 05:03 PM

June 22, 2019 Garden Update.

Finally after 1 week we had a sunny day. Had only 3 hours of sun in past 6 days before today. Over 3.2" of rain this month.

Bell Peppers doing awesome considering all the rain and clouds we're having.

Potatoes look like they are going to be ready soon

Can't wait!

Miracle Grow 20-20-20 every other week on the row on the right. Nothing on the left.

Onions were like 3 feet tall when they stood tall. Looking good considering how it hasn't been hot or sunny. It's whats underneath that counts though. Not sure if I'll have baseball size onions. lol

Cucumbers show how the weather pattern has been. Struggling to grow fast. Soil temp back in the 60s today

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or