Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2019, 03:02 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

by copperheads im assuming you all are talking about the snake version of copperhead correct ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 01:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Still picking tomatoes and lots of peppers as well as a few cukes. Actually saw some okra on the plants today so hope to get enough for at least one meal. Then out the plants come, along with one tomato container which I already mentioned. I think I will just let the herbs go and try to dry them later in the fall.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Our tomatoes are just now starting to produce enough for salads every day, after an unusually cool and overcast summer. The most prolific are the Sungolds. I'm getting the nice long Japanese cucumbers at the rate of one every 1-2 days. Of the 8 plants, two turned out to be mislabeled, one is lemon cucs, the other some shorter fatter variety.

With my 3 bell pepper plants it looks like only one pepper, nearly grocery store size and ready to pick. I guess they need more heat.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:35 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
We had a very late spring on top of the usual unpredictability of Montana weather. Our tomatoes are just starting to ripen- just praying for 3-4 more weeks of no frost. Our peppers are producing, and my sweet corn did fantastic. We'll harvest about 120 ears or more. Already put up 60 ears worth. Potatoes are doing great, summer squash is doing great as are beets and carrots.

My collard greens were solid this year- we’ve put up 40 pints and expect another 20 or so. Kale is great too.

My wife’s tomatillos produced abundantly, she’s making salsa verde this weekend with our hatch chili’s.

Our radishes, normally a weed here, didn’t do squat. We’re gunning for a fall batch ‘cause I love radish soup.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:35 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Planting season starts late August to December and again at the end of January to April here, so I’m just beginning.

I planted my Everglade tomatoes started from seed a week ago in the garden. They are a currant tomato, smaller than grape tomatoes on sprawling vines. They do great in FL heat and humidity. I also started Seminole pumpkins three weeks ago which also do well with the conditions here. It’s strange not to plant in summer, although next year I’ll try sweet potatoes. I’m learning.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:40 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
by copperheads im assuming you all are talking about the snake version of copperhead correct ?
Yep. I think they just might be the Tennessee State Snake.

Meanwhile, I think tomorrow I will pick a few green tomatoes for frying and then pull the vines to dry and burn. It's time to start thinking about what I'm not going to do next year.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:23 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Yep. I think they just might be the Tennessee State Snake.

Meanwhile, I think tomorrow I will pick a few green tomatoes for frying and then pull the vines to dry and burn. It's time to start thinking about what I'm not going to do next year.
I didn't eat a fried green tomato slice until I was in my 30s. I'm glad that I didn't know what I was missing. I would have been rather upset. I'm sure that someone in PA was doing that, but I didn't know them.

A woman in our neighborhood made pimento cheese, and another made greens. I guess that they had relatives in the South.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:14 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
As our season winds down here...I been picking a ton of Cherry tomatoes and Peppers.

The Cherry tomatoes are called Rapunzel. High yielding and tastes great! Sweet but not super sweet. And small enough to pick and eat as a snack. Mmmmm.

September 2, 2019 Harvest

Peppers. Great year considering CT doesn't have a long hot season.
See below what I am doing with them.. But first lets go over a couple of plants..

This one is called Pusa Juwala. Awesome looking and high producing. Not super hot but not sweet.

This is called SJI Rainforest. Cool canopy with small pear shaped peppers.

This one is called Orange Tea Pot. Very Hot!

This one is Naga Jaloki. Purple color but will turn red if left too long.

This one has a WOW factor on both the look of it and the heat from it. It's called Dragon's Spawn.

This is the bite I took and I was sweating and couldn't handle it. Wont be trying it again.

Spoiler

Quick look at my Tomato Jungle. Surprised still green in September.

So........... Here's what I "was" doing with the peppers... Hanging them to dry to make pepper flakes..

One problem.... It stays too humid inside and so a few of them (thicker skinned) were turning black or molding up. So I had to abandon the hanging idea.

So I bought a dehydrator... Inside here are 4 trays I filled with peppers. See below. This thing has a set temp of 175° and vents all the moisture out with a fan. Set it and leave it for a couple hours. Super easy and quicker

The trays...

Old 09-15-2019, 05:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
As our season winds down here...I been picking a ton of Cherry tomatoes and Peppers.

The Cherry tomatoes are called Rapunzel. High yielding and tastes great! Sweet but not super sweet. And small enough to pick and eat as a snack. Mmmmm.

September 2, 2019 Harvest

Peppers. Great year considering CT doesn't have a long hot season.
See below what I am doing with them.. But first lets go over a couple of plants..

This one is called Pusa Juwala. Awesome looking and high producing. Not super hot but not sweet.

This is called SJI Rainforest. Cool canopy with small pear shaped peppers.

This one is called Orange Tea Pot. Very Hot!

This one is Naga Jaloki. Purple color but will turn red if left too long.

This one has a WOW factor on both the look of it and the heat from it. It's called Dragon's Spawn.

This is the bite I took and I was sweating and couldn't handle it. Wont be trying it again.

Quick look at my Tomato Jungle. Surprised still green in September.

So........... Here's what I "was" doing with the peppers... Hanging them to dry to make pepper flakes..

One problem.... It stays too humid inside and so a few of them (thicker skinned) were turning black or molding up. So I had to abandon the hanging idea.

So I bought a dehydrator... Inside here are 4 trays I filled with peppers. See below. This thing has a set temp of 175° and vents all the moisture out with a fan. Set it and leave it for a couple hours. Super easy and quicker

The trays...

OMG everything looks awesome and I am about ready to just pull our garden out for this year. Our herbs are still looking good and a few other things, but pathetic compared to yours.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:22 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG everything looks awesome and I am about ready to just pull our garden out for this year. Our herbs are still looking good and a few other things, but pathetic compared to yours.
Thanks. Has the weather been cooperating for you? I have a neighbor who pulled everything. With the extra days of warming we can have an extended season. Good news there. But it's almost time to start taking things down.

So after the dehydrator I just put them in a zip lock bag and crushed them in there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden