Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,977,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I'm desperate! can you believe I was looking for rhubarb, today? Totally impossible, I know!
March is the snowiest month!!!!! It's still Feb................................ It's going to be awhile but when it happens, it happens fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:26 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,111,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I'm desperate! can you believe I was looking for rhubarb, today? Totally impossible, I know!
I have some in my freezer and on my shelf in the form of rhubarb jam.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:55 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,271,122 times
Jaxson

Thank you for starting this thread. I am very excited about my first vegetable garden this year. I can't wait for spring. It's seems to be taking forever.

I will check back often to see what wonderful tips and ideas all you experienced gardeners have.

Thanks

Old 02-25-2009, 06:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,648,521 times
Hi, Jaxson! Nice to 'see' you again!

I ordered my seeds and my flats this weekend, they are on their way!! <dance dance dance> It is never to early to start; you can always pinch 'em back. Early last May they had a rippin snowstorm here that wiped out most everyone's newly planted vegie gardens.

I always put crushed egg shells in my compost. This avoids blossom end rot. We moved to a place so that now I have three - count /em, three! - vegetable gardens. There is an asparagus plot in one and a huge horseradish plot in the other! The asparagus are against the back fence where the dirt piles up. They have their own "hills". We have been raking up the horse manure from the corral ever since we got here in May, and we have a huge compost pile now. The top has a covering of loose hay but when you dig down the compost is all black and crumbly.

We have a biiiig bay window that faces south; that's where the flats are going to go. The other south-facing window is where I put my dwarf orange trees and tropicals; they are going gangbusters. (Yes I have orange trees in Nebraska! LOL) They've gotten 20 new leaves each since Christmas.

I like flowers but only because they keep the bees coming back for more. If they find food from spring to fall, they'll be ready to pollinate all season long. Thinking about running my Cherry bell tomatoes right next to the morning glory vines around the front porch and verandah so that they bloom together.

I've been growing vegies in all sorts of climates for over 40 years. Now I finally have a big enough place to plant all those things together in one spot. I am sooo excited...

Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 PM

19,720 posts, read 10,449,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I have some in my freezer and on my shelf in the form of rhubarb jam.
I have one quart of frozen jam left.........This will be the first spring I can harvest my own Rhubarb.

As you order/purchase seed, remember the old wives saying...........
3 friends, for every zuccinni hill...........LOL

Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 PM

SCGranny good to see you too! I had a older man tell me this weekend that the egg shells prevent blossom end rot too. Good to know the reason why I do something.

debey my kids are wanting a rhubarb cake and a zuke pie so bad.

This year I will once again try my hand at some potatoes in big Rubbermaid tubs. Last year they did so well vining up then I would cover them again. When the container got to the top I thought I had it made. Then bam all of a sudden the vines were gone, kept watching for more shoots to come up but never did. I don't know what happened to them but I didn't get one potato from either tub. Have holes drilled in the bottom, sat them up on cement blocks in an old barn foundation with plenty of sun.

That was my first crop failure in a long time.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,648,521 times
Rubbermaid tubs?
Hmmm..
I plant mine in tires. throw a tire on top when they are tall enough, fill with dirt. Let them grow up high enough again, throw another tire on top. Sometimes they get big enough for three or four tires. No digging - just pull the tires off and the potatoes fall out. (OK, it's HARD to 'pull' the tires off, full of dirt and all!) But still - no digging, no cut potatoes. And tires are free...

Old 02-25-2009, 11:26 PM

Same concept in the tubs or trash cans. I had some extra tubs leftover from getting rid of stuff stored in the garage so just used them. Thought those might be easier for a couple of my kids to grab and turn over too.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 AM

19,720 posts, read 10,449,020 times
I'm probably off topic, here, but...............
We should have bought stock in Rubbermaid totes............
They are the greatest, for so many gardening projects!

Old 02-26-2009, 11:54 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,684,807 times
Hi There..May i help to continue this thread....I have this vision in my head and ideas for a church garden for our youth and elders to do together and well anyways...i will have tons of questions.

Im intrigued by the latest posts about potatoes..i never heard of it done like that or with totes. I am so excited to have stumbled upon this thread..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden