U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2022, 12:05 AM

251,955 posts, read 85,990,371 times

Advertisements

My corn germinated very good but the Kentucky Blue pole beans didn't germinate at all. I bought fresh seed, at least it was supposed to be current year seed.....I had only 3 seed germinate. That was a first. I had excellent germination with Fordhook 242 Lima beans... It's been a crazy first year here in Alabama.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 11:06 PM

16,837 posts, read 19,594,540 times
Picked off another 2lbs of green beans. I think we're going to get 5lbs a week for a few weeks. Hopefully put up 20# or more of them this year. Some more huge carrots coming out. We're going to cut them in thick medallions, blanch and freeze them. We'll make soups with them in the fall.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:06 AM

79,261 posts, read 66,796,565 times
Another Tomato harvest August 10, 2022. Over 10 pounds yesterday, over 5 pounds 2 days ago.

Been gardening since 2003 and this yr has been the best year. On just 15-18 plants to boot so many yields. And lack of diseases and insect damage.

Looks bigger in person. Never grew a pumpkin this big. Exciting

Can't win them all

Old 08-11-2022, 05:10 AM

79,261 posts, read 66,796,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
There were 6 short rows of corn that just are not going to make.

The best thing and one of the most important things to us is the okra crop this year. It's a jungle in the making and requires our attention 7 days a week for harvesting.

About every 3rd or 4th day a plant yields another pod. Here the prolific nature of okra can be seen.

Ready to sort for use according to size. Pickling, freezing, & dehydrating.
What happened to the corn??

I recognized the Okra! It was fun growing that 2 yrs but after realizing my family members don't like it, I didn't both with it. I tried it and wasn't a fan of it but maybe I didn't cook it right. Very cool produce to grow I would do again

Thanks for the pics!

Old 08-11-2022, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
What happened to the corn??
Thanks for the pics!
I wish I knew for sure just what happened with the corn. I've never had that happen before. I'm going to take a soil sample and see what comes back. I fed it well but if the pH is way out of kilter that can ruin everything.

I've got a few watermelons coming along fine that were planted late and they are looking good and so are the cantaloupe. A few summer squash are in bloom that also were a late planting should be ready to pick a few from next week and the yellow squash I planted last week have germinated.

How did you fix the okra? We fix it several ways. Dill and a cayenne pepper make a pickle that we love. No heat just some crispy zing. Then I love the Cajun okra that has some heated kick to it because it has 5-6 cayenne to it. Crispy fried is good if you get it done and not left gooey in the middle like restaurants cook it. We cook it with tomatoes and onions too and in the deep south we call it okra salad knowing it's not a salad but a unique dish that is most healthy with the type of fiber okra has.

This is an old photo from the late 70's and our first big 1 acre garden that we canned and froze most everything we ate from.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:41 PM

1,324 posts, read 616,185 times
I am new to this forum. I recently moved to a house out in the county and I have a fairly large backyard. I want to grow my own veggies like I did with my parents when I was a kid. We had a garden on half an acre. I don't need anything like that, so I am considering a few raised beds and just growing some veggies (tomatoes, peppers, beans, squash, potatoes, onions, etc).

Anyway, I plan to do this next year and I am trying to figure out how since, in the past, my dad was really the gardener and he died many years ago. I just did what he told me (usually weeding). I remember him starting some plants in the house in the spring. Little trays of dirt with plastic wrap on them. I would ask my mom, but her memory isn't always the best (she is good with flowers though).

Anyway, would anyone here please share some good resources to learn about raised bed vegetable gardening. I can find stuff easily by using Google, but there is so much and I don't know what sites (or books) are good and where to start.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2022, 02:45 PM

Cucumbers and squash for the fall have sprouted and the mama bear is looking forward to making pickles with the cucumbers. I'm looking forward to more stir fried with bacon and onion yellow squash...

Old 08-13-2022, 07:11 PM

16,837 posts, read 19,594,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I am new to this forum. I recently moved to a house out in the county and I have a fairly large backyard. I want to grow my own veggies like I did with my parents when I was a kid. We had a garden on half an acre. I don't need anything like that, so I am considering a few raised beds and just growing some veggies (tomatoes, peppers, beans, squash, potatoes, onions, etc).

Anyway, I plan to do this next year and I am trying to figure out how since, in the past, my dad was really the gardener and he died many years ago. I just did what he told me (usually weeding). I remember him starting some plants in the house in the spring. Little trays of dirt with plastic wrap on them. I would ask my mom, but her memory isn't always the best (she is good with flowers though).

Anyway, would anyone here please share some good resources to learn about raised bed vegetable gardening. I can find stuff easily by using Google, but there is so much and I don't know what sites (or books) are good and where to start.

Thanks!
The best resource is to contact your local extension office, ours is through Montana State U. They have by far the best resource for us growing in a difficult environment like Montana.

Old 08-14-2022, 05:27 AM

1,324 posts, read 616,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The best resource is to contact your local extension office, ours is through Montana State U. They have by far the best resource for us growing in a difficult environment like Montana.

Thanks!

Never even herd of an "extension office." I had to Google it (but I found one). I need to figure out which one is local though. It gives good advice for planting and such. Thanks. As for raised beds, maybe I can just wing it. I would think they might dry out quicker, but I think they would be a lot easier to tend to (and weed). Not getting down on one's knees. I really can't till though (but I also don't have a rota-till either).

Old 08-14-2022, 08:38 AM

1,853 posts, read 942,513 times
I’m getting a couple tomatoes each day now. I pulled my last zucchini this morning. The pic includes a sample of what I have tried out this year, and some of what I pulled this morning:
Striata d’Italia zucchini
Sweet Chocolate pepper
Sunkist tomato
Cherokee Green tomato
Patio tomato

The green tomato is the most flavorful I’ve ever had; delicious to cut up on a plate with some seasoning and oil. Everything came out well except for the cilantro. I still have a healthy basil and parsley plant. All tomato plants are heavy with tomatoes, but most will need at least a week to ripen!
[IMG][/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden