Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2023, 12:49 PM

19,379 posts, read 22,320,778 times

Advertisements

Weeded some more of my corn patch. In hindsight two things-

1. Don't broadcast peas when using as a cover crop, instead row plant them. Weeding was a nightmare because peas are interspersed with weeds. Duh.

2. Don't assume these are volunteers from a cultivar previously planted. I think these may be wild parsnips- which are invasive. You have to really be careful handling this plant.

Quote:
The wild parsnip (Pastinaca sativa) is a tall plant with yellow flowers. Although the roots are edible, the plant’s sap can result in burns (phytophotodermatitis).

The burns are a reaction between the plant’s sap and your skin. The reaction is triggered by sunlight. It isn’t an immune or allergic response, but rather a sun-sensitive skin reaction due to the plant substance.
https://www.healthline.com/health/wi...hotodermatitis

I cut off all the flowering stems and bagged them. I'm leaving the root in the ground so we'll see what happens in the fall. You can eat wild parsnip root just stay away from the stem sap.

Our 3 year old little cherry tree is bearing fruit. Last year what little produced we let the birds have them. Not this year, lol.

And the raspberry bushes we planted are doing really well.

This was 12 months ago-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 01:26 PM

83,282 posts, read 74,503,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
And the raspberry bushes we planted are doing really well.

This was 12 months ago-
Nice comparison. I wouldn't have thought that was 12mths ago. Looks like 3 months of growth but I'm not familiar with Rasberries.

I see a soaker hose in the lawn, dont mow it over.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:36 PM

5,692 posts, read 5,936,059 times
I recently found out the reason why my hometown (Oakville) has some many mulberries was that old farmers would plant them since they produce fruit at the same time as cherries, so the birds get drawn to the mulberries and the farmers can keep the cherries. Saskatoon berries were used for the same purpose afaik. Now that the town has been suburbanized, the cherries are gone, but the mulberries are still there. Well, I like eating mulberries so I pick them when I'm down there. The dogs like them too, especially my lab who will eat several pounds of mulberries and get sick if we don't stop her.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice comparison. I wouldn't have thought that was 12mths ago. Looks like 3 months of growth but I'm not familiar with Rasberries.

My new place in Elora has raspberries. The mature plants are sending up suckers everywhere constantly. The previous owners put landscaping cloth down in various places and the raspberries are somehow growing through that. They seem to grow about a foot per month here, if not a foot per week.

Old 07-21-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Ours get heavily pruned by deer in the winter and we’re okay with that. It’s bearing fruit this year so it’s netted right now.

That’s just a regular old hose- was watering the pear trees and cherry tree.

Old 07-21-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I recently found out the reason why my hometown (Oakville) has some many mulberries was that old farmers would plant them since they produce fruit at the same time as cherries, so the birds get drawn to the mulberries and the farmers can keep the cherries. Saskatoon berries were used for the same purpose afaik. Now that the town has been suburbanized, the cherries are gone, but the mulberries are still there. Well, I like eating mulberries so I pick them when I'm down there. The dogs like them too, especially my lab who will eat several pounds of mulberries and get sick if we don't stop her.
I have a beef with mulberries. Years ago when my wife and I were newlyweds we were pretty much scraping by. I worked for a bank and could only afford cheap suits and shirts. Well I saved up some money and bought ONE nice Polo button down shirt. Crisp white, heavy thread. This is in the early 90’s. So I starched and ironed this shirt- crisp folds, PERFECT. Beautiful summer morning, driving down a residential road lined with mulberry trees. My left are rested out the window.

**PLOP** a bird hit my crisp new white shirt sleeve with a mulberry laced turd.

When I got to work my co-workers said “NICE SHIRT!!!” and then I turned and showed them the nice giant purple stain and went into a profanity laced tirade about birds. Some of ladies tried stain sticks, soda water every trick they could think of. It never came out.

I won’t touch a mulberry and I think I know why I enjoy bird hunting so much.

Old 07-21-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I have a beef with mulberries. Years ago when my wife and I were newlyweds we were pretty much scraping by. I worked for a bank and could only afford cheap suits and shirts. Well I saved up some money and bought ONE nice Polo button down shirt. Crisp white, heavy thread. This is in the early 90’s. So I starched and ironed this shirt- crisp folds, PERFECT. Beautiful summer morning, driving down a residential road lined with mulberry trees. My left are rested out the window.

**PLOP** a bird hit my crisp new white shirt sleeve with a mulberry laced turd.

When I got to work my co-workers said “NICE SHIRT!!!” and then I turned and showed them the nice giant purple stain and went into a profanity laced tirade about birds. Some of ladies tried stain sticks, soda water every trick they could think of. It never came out.

I won’t touch a mulberry and I think I know why I enjoy bird hunting so much.
Yeah, they do stain a lot. My fingers tend to be permanently purplish in July... I make sure to wear blue/purple/red/black shirts when I pick them in case one falls on my shirt while I pick them.

Old 07-22-2023, 07:10 PM

2,646 posts, read 2,138,482 times
While we are on a trip in our RV, my SIL picked 9 pounds of tomatoes from our small 4' x 8' garden.

Old 07-22-2023, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
While we are on a trip in our RV, my SIL picked 9 pounds of tomatoes from our small 4' x 8' garden.
How much of that 4'x8' is dedicated to tomatoes? That's quite a lot. I suppose not crazy a lot though, that would be like 8 plants with three 6oz tomatoes per plant - I'll probably get similar weekly harvests in a month.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:05 AM

2,646 posts, read 2,138,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
How much of that 4'x8' is dedicated to tomatoes? That's quite a lot. I suppose not crazy a lot though, that would be like 8 plants with three 6oz tomatoes per plant - I'll probably get similar weekly harvests in a month.
There were 10 plants, but one plant went crazy and was pulled up. There are 9 tomato plants plus two small bean plants now. My wife was picking a few tomatoes each day before we left on our trip.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-tomatoes-mona.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden