Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2024, 06:18 AM

5,931 posts, read 6,150,315 times

Advertisements

I'm supposed to get a load like that too. Not sure when though. Forsythias are starting to bloom here too, which is earlier than usual, but only just starting, they're not as bright as yours yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 06:15 PM

24,776 posts, read 11,132,378 times
Rebecca, the toad, knocked on the door requesting a life jacket! It is bad out there. Cats and dogs and an occasional calf. I have not seen rain like this in a long time. At least Jalapeno plants are still in the "green house".

Old 04-10-2024, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just got this dropped off

Forsythia time to shine

6 of the 7 Japanese Maple seedlings I took from last fall are alive
Can we please talk about Japanese Maple babies? We lost all our trees but one in the twelve years Texas/Oklahoma. They took up the biggest UHaul truck and were SO's babies. He took classes on how to take care of them. Thank you.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:02 PM

5,931 posts, read 6,150,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Can we please talk about Japanese Maple babies? We lost all our trees but one in the twelve years Texas/Oklahoma. They took up the biggest UHaul truck and were SO's babies. He took classes on how to take care of them. Thank you.
What kills them down there? They grow quite easily up here, my old place has two and many of my neighbours had them so I kept pulling out seedlings from the lawn.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
What kills them down there? They grow quite easily up here, my old place has two and many of my neighbours had them so I kept pulling out seedlings from the lawn.
True Japanese - I can only guess. Wind, wind wind, temperature fluctuations of 30-50 degrees within a day, water by flood or irrigation.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:18 AM

83,621 posts, read 75,663,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
They grow like weeds here.

Quote:
I really don't do anything other then put the sprout from the ground in a small pot then put them in a bigger pot after 2 yrs. Regular potting soil. Seems like even if they aren't constantly watered they survive because I don't feel I have paid attention to them as much. The parent tree is about 20 yrs old now called Bloodgood Japanese Maple.

I gave this one to a family member. I believe I had it in this pot for like 5 yrs?

Last edited by Cambium; 04-11-2024 at 05:27 AM..

Old 04-11-2024, 10:24 AM

Thank you Cambium. We have an about 20 ft Bloodgood with the name of Jasmine. SO potted two babier but they did not make it through the winter. Enclosed, sunlight, not freezing. This may encourage him to try again:>)

Old 04-11-2024, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you Cambium. We have an about 20 ft Bloodgood with the name of Jasmine. SO potted two babier but they did not make it through the winter. Enclosed, sunlight, not freezing. This may encourage him to try again:>)
Interesting. Might of just been a weak seedling? Maybe soil was too strong with fertilizer?

The picture with the little pots was where they stayed all winter. With snow, cold, wind, ect.

Not sure why yours didn't make it. I don't think winter had anything to do with it because they are dormant in winter. I did have some leaves inside the pots maybe that helped keep them warmer? Doubt that. Keep trying. Save like 10 of them because some don't make it

Old 04-11-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Interesting. Might of just been a weak seedling? Maybe soil was too strong with fertilizer?

The picture with the little pots was where they stayed all winter. With snow, cold, wind, ect.

Not sure why yours didn't make it. I don't think winter had anything to do with it because they are dormant in winter. I did have some leaves inside the pots maybe that helped keep them warmer? Doubt that. Keep trying. Save like 10 of them because some don't make it
Thank you for the encouragement. There is no 10 of them. There may be one or two. SO is considering attaching them onto existing root stock. Yes, he went to class about that in Alabama. Very interesting.
Oklahoma is a hard place on plants and people but a beautiful one with good folks.
We have been going to Physical Therapy since November. Very good studio and also the local social club. You find boxes with plants in the windstill corner behind the door, bags with bulbs and recipient names on the magazine table, of course the usual cookies and patient who is a contractor. One just built our house, greenhouse/hottub enclosure and the receptionist will hand you a note with where to buy the best pepper plants what a patient just called in.
Cosmos, Zinias, holly hocks and marigolds are ready to move to individual pots. it will be a project with a young lady tomorrow. She is 12 and part of the curriculum is documented community involvement as in helping others. She will help me and her family and then some with 250 or so plants she can nurse along here for 2-3 weeks.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:07 AM

Well, the deer can't get them all. Although I did protect a few.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden