Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times

Advertisements

I’ve brought a couple of pots 10” x 12” (about 3 gal) size that have 3 tomato pants in each pot. I forgot to ask the store employee about this. Question,,, do I need to transplant these tomatoes, or can they do ok on their own in this sized pot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 09:40 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
After the original post and giving this some thought, I believe I have a place in the backyard to transplant these tomatoes. They’ll get midday sun and will be shaded in the late afternoon. Tomorrow I’ll buy some potting soil to help them get a good start.

Now the question is ~ “Is there anything else that I should do or know before I make a mistake with them”?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My problem is that I don't really have enough eggshells to side dress. My silly Dr. thinks that I used to eat too many and tells me I can't have real eggs anymore. Something about my cholesterol.
Prehaps a neighbor or a close local restaurant could save you a few. I eat eggs daily have never had a cholesterol problem thankfully.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
I'm getting excited. Hubby bought some seeds for us today. Tomorrow we'll see about getting some things that we can use to transplant with. We'll start some of the things inside, but we get to start outside a month from today. We're so excited. Haha. Last year we only really did tomatoes because we were living in my mom's trailer. This year we have a whole backyard. Plus, it's my grandpa's house, and he is a mondo gardener. Well, he can't garden anymore. However, the whole backyard is set up for gardening. Talk about being excited.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:53 AM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
I raise my cherry tomatos in 12 inch pots and have great luck with them..
Dont by potting soil to had to your soil , buy a high end compost material, one that has worm caseing,bat poop and other natural adidtives..work in it well...
If decide to put them in pots, only one in a pot and again buy really good potting soil and just watch them grow..
Good luck

Old 02-15-2010, 05:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Man, am I pooped. We started to prepare the garden for the veggies. There were a lot of weeds. We could only do a little today, but we'll continue on Wednesday.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:39 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I'm getting excited. Hubby bought some seeds for us today. Tomorrow we'll see about getting some things that we can use to transplant with. We'll start some of the things inside, but we get to start outside a month from today. We're so excited. Haha. Last year we only really did tomatoes because we were living in my mom's trailer. This year we have a whole backyard. Plus, it's my grandpa's house, and he is a mondo gardener. Well, he can't garden anymore. However, the whole backyard is set up for gardening. Talk about being excited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Man, am I pooped. We started to prepare the garden for the veggies. There were a lot of weeds. We could only do a little today, but we'll continue on Wednesday.
Envying both of you! I can't wait to get started - I know it's only a month away!

Has anyone heard of putting rock dust in the garden? There's this Dr. John Apsley who talked about the benefits of putting rock dust in the soil of our gardens. He said that it will improve the taste greatly and improve the nutritional values as well. You can either get it on line or at your nearest cement manufacturing facility. It clogs up their machines and they want to get rid of it. I understand this doctor teaches med students and writes medical books for doctors and medical books for laypersons. I've yet to look him up on the net, but wondered if anyone has heard of rock dust for the gardens.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 AM

Default Topsoil not good for veggie gardens?

Our weekly radio gardening show said topsoil is only good for lawns, not for gardens, because it is too heavy. Is that true, or are they steering listeners in the direction of special soils in support of their advertisers?

What would be wrong with using topsoil and mixing in additives and enrichers such as Black Kow, compost, etc. Topsoil is less expensive than products like Miracle Grow planting mix, and as I understand it the latter has nutritional benefits that only last 3 months or so.

We have to do considerable soil conditioning (most of it already done, but each year we have to add some) because of the heavy clay content.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Envying both of you! I can't wait to get started - I know it's only a month away!
Has anyone heard of putting rock dust in the garden? There's this Dr. John Apsley who talked about the benefits of putting rock dust in the soil of our gardens. He said that it will improve the taste greatly and improve the nutritional values as well. You can either get it on line or at your nearest cement manufacturing facility. It clogs up their machines and they want to get rid of it. I understand this doctor teaches med students and writes medical books for doctors and medical books for laypersons. I've yet to look him up on the net, but wondered if anyone has heard of rock dust for the gardens.
Well, I did look up Dr. Apsley. There is a great deal of interesting info on him. He does research in and is a proponent of natural healing alternatives, with a great deal of work on cancer treatments.

He says we should eat food grown in soil laced with rock dust, which is the only source for colloidal minerals.

I found a couple of links that don't work, but the one below works, though his discussion on rock dust is not extensive. Maybe it doesn't need to be. How much can one say about it, except that it's good to use and he's given reasons for that.

USING "ROCK DUST" WHEN PLANTING A GARDEN FOR PROPER MINERAL CONTENT TO PREVENT CANCER AND MUCH MORE INFO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti75G...eature=related

Old 02-16-2010, 09:15 AM

How could I have forgotten about Dave's Garden site!
There, I found this great article on rock dust for the garden:
Rock Dust… DUH!!

photo comparing carrots grown in rock dust and in regular soil. STONE DUST AND REMINERALIZATION.

I'm going shopping for free rock dust!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden