Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 08:27 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,357,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbsolute View Post
I am prepping my garden for this year. I pulled some carrots up from last year's crop. They're giant sized.

Does anyone know if they are ok to eat?
If you let them grow they'd flower and produce seed (carrots flower their second year). Carrot flowers are rather beautiful.

I doubt the carrots will taste that good though you could try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:58 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,034,228 times
First time veggie gardener ~ saying Hi ~ I'm on page 8 of this thread and will be busy catching up. I just planted some Swiss Chard and will plant some Arugula later today and Basil when the weather is warmer.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:04 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,380,667 times
I am a second time gardener saying hello to all my fellow green thumbs. I had a bountiful garden while living in Anaheim, CA (great soil there), but this is my first attempt at vegetable gardening in the desert. I have a feeling that much of what I've labored over this year will start to die off in the coming months (we're at almost 90 degrees F this week).

I am doing a raised bed with a tomato plant, sweet peas, yellow and red bell peppers and spinach. I also have a small trough with cilantro, chives and rosemary and another pot with banana peppers and Anaheim peppers. I will have my share of peppers in the summer, and just can't wait. I enjoy shopping veggies and herbs at nurseries almost as much as I enjoy shopping at Macy's (maybe even more).

Coney, the Swiss Chard at our local nursery looked absolutely beautiful this weekend. Best of luck with it.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:13 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,034,228 times
Default Newbie at veggie gardening ~

OMG ! I just saw a squirrel poking around in my newly planted Swiss Chard ~~~~ do they eat veggies?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:26 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
Welcome to the garden thread come back often as the season is nearing for many of us. I'm a couple of months away from breaking ground in Indiana but I like reading when others start.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,194,474 times
I'm thinking about planting a double row of okra across the front of the house in the flower bed. Beautiful yellow flowers with burgundy throats and down here the cops know it form marijuana. It loves the heat and humidity and I love it fried.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,380,165 times
So excited, the heirloom tomato seeds I started indoors are just poking their heads above the soil! Noticed one yesterday and there are two this morning. First time I'm doing heirloom tomatoes and first time doing tomatoes from seed. Also have some artichoke seeds, but no activity over there yet. Everything else will go into the garden as soon as I finish building the raised beds!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:34 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I'm thinking about planting a double row of okra across the front of the house in the flower bed. Beautiful yellow flowers with burgundy throats and down here the cops know it form marijuana. It loves the heat and humidity and I love it fried.
Go for it Nomad! If I lived in the city or even a town I would be planting food things wherever I could. Of course couldn't plant them in abundance to can them up like I do here.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,380,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I've heard there's a movement to go from having boring front lawns of grass to having a garden of beautiful edible plants. Go for it! Post pictures when it blooms. I'd love to see the flowers. Never been a big okra fan myself, but the flowers sound nice.

I'm hoping to do a row of blueberries across the front of my lawn. Maybe some raspberry too. The more lawn I can get rid of - the less time I have to spend maintaining it. I'd rather maintain veggies - at least they give you back for your care. Grass does nothing but demand energy and gives nothing.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,380,398 times
I screwed up all the seeds I started in doors. These little sponge things that go in the Park seed biodome (mini greenhouse) all grew mold.

I just planted some marigolds and petunias outside, and stuck some snap peas around the perimeter of my 2 x 4 box. This won't make enough for a crop, more like gardener's treat. I have some very healthy chives I overwintered as well, and my lemon balm and oregano containers made it. I need to get some basil started soon, I just dump a bunch of seeds in a large pot and let the seedlings duke it out. Later I'll propagate by rooting stems in a vase.

Time to try the biodome again I guess. I hope I have better luck. I want to plant some seeds from my mini-pomegranate & give that a go, also some cucumbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden