U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 PM

206,037 posts, read 79,613,865 times

Advertisements

This has absolutely got to be the last year I go without a garden. Right now we are getting fresh sweetcorn and new crop potatoes. I should be getting this from my own garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 02:32 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,891,444 times
I participate in a church garden. We have been building 24 foot beds that are 4 feet wide. We have completed 8 so far. We have another 6 to go. We should start planting in a just a few days. We had a late start this year. Normally we already have potatoes and some other things in the ground. But with the snow and rain, we just getting started. My home garden is going really well. I have alot coming up and hope to put out the tomatoes and peppers in the next few weeks.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 AM

5,488 posts, read 9,372,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
What did I do to kill my tomato plants? I put them in a large container outside in morning sun and a little afternoon sun. We had a LOT of rain last weekend and all of a sudden they just shriveled up and died. One pepper plant did the same thing.

I bought 2 more but I need to know what I did wrong
Hey Keeper, since we're in the same locality. I put 2 tomatoes plants in my raised bed and now they're flowering. The bell pepper, on the other hand, just struggling to keep up. I think the weather is not hot enough for it yet.

My cabbage is doing well. I can see little fuzzy greens coming up on my carrots, But the broccoli & cauliflowers are struggling.

What's going strong are my chinese pumpkins. They just "exploded" with huge leaves. I'll have to put in trellis soon at this rate.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:18 PM

18,286 posts, read 21,194,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post

What's going strong are my chinese pumpkins. They just "exploded" with huge leaves. I'll have to put in trellis soon at this rate.
What is chinese pumpkins please? Do you eat them or just use as ornamental?

It has been to cold and wet here in my part of Indiana to even plant garden. We are going to try tomorrow or Thursday again of this week.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:06 PM

5,488 posts, read 9,372,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
What is chinese pumpkins please? Do you eat them or just use as ornamental?
Chinese (or Japanese) pumpkin looks like winter/ butter squash. I think they are in the same squash family.

The Chinese Soup Lady & Chinese Soup Recipes » Blog Archive » Pumpkin (Japanese)

and they do taste very delicious
Braised Pork Ribs with Pumpkin - Christine's Recipes: Easy Chinese Recipes

Last year, we had a section of pumpkin from a church friend so I saved the seeds. This spring, I planted them in plastic tray and they germinated quite well.

The pumpkin is at the lower left hand corner

A week later, under the grow light

Since I had to go away for a business trip, I planted them in the ground soon after the above picture ~3 weeks ago and this was taken just a few days ago. I only kept two of them. People were more than happy to take the seedling home.

Looks like a couple of 8-feet trellis is in the project plan !

Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 AM

32,208 posts, read 21,476,187 times
^

pumpkins are my favorite thing to grow, but they require a lot of space.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:33 PM

HB2HSV thanks for the pictures & the links! We put out butternut squash for our family here.

Sadly my part of IN is still getting tons of rain so our garden still isn't planted. Hoping to get it done tomorrow or this weekend the rains are to quit after today "they" say.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:41 AM

76,038 posts, read 88,934,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
^

pumpkins are my favorite thing to grow, but they require a lot of space.
I had good luck with butternut squash one year which isn't as good as pumpkins, but doesn't take up the space either.

This might be the first year I don't plant sweet potatoes.

We have gotten inches of rain this past week, but the garden was in a month ago so is going awesome right now. The most fun part, the volunteer tomato plants from last year. They are all over the place. I am letting them go, just to see what happens.

Nita

Old 05-15-2010, 08:31 PM

Well the rains held off today for us to finally get our garden in. Glad it is over with now the weeding will begin in a couple of weeks. It did rain about 15 minutes after we had everything put away.

All in 1 week my hummers came back for the summer and my garden is planted. Life is good eh?

Old 05-16-2010, 12:53 PM

76,038 posts, read 88,934,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Well the rains held off today for us to finally get our garden in. Glad it is over with now the weeding will begin in a couple of weeks. It did rain about 15 minutes after we had everything put away.

All in 1 week my hummers came back for the summer and my garden is planted. Life is good eh?
and we are hoping for no more rain, it just keeps coming and coming, great for the garden, everything looks wonderful including all the darn weeds. Hopefully in a day or so we will be able to get some of them out.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or