Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Just took these today. Will be updating my layout and pics in another week or so, kinda made a mess after getting rid of some terrible soil that smoothered roots of other plants. BTW, my bean plant is in a self-watering contraption that I threw together after watching some youtube videos.

PS the spots on the leaves is just some cinnamon I springled around the plants because I had a bunch of ants on my balcony.
they look great. I have noticed a few zukes starting to form on my plants but they are weeks from doing much. Actually they are the beginning of the blossoms not the fruit. I pulled weeds today, more weeds (grass) than anything else due to our rains, but at least they come out pretty easlily.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:52 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
TRosa, looks great! I didn't know that about cinnamon!

My garden is doing better than I expected, and much better than it has done in the past. I think my thumb might be getting greener.

I've had an amazingly weed-free summer so far, and haven't done anything to prevent the weeds; not sure why this is. If it continues throughout the growing season, I'd love to be able to repeat it next year! Last year the weeds took over and toward the end of the season the weeds won and I finally gave up.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 AM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
TRosa, looks wonderful, I think I will try it next year. I think it's too late to start this now in NC.

I picked my first yellow squash today, looks really cute. I am still struggling with my plant that a lot of it falls off even thou I have been pollinating it by hand. Bees didn't find my garden yet. Any suggestion on how to attract bees?

What else can I plant now?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
TRosa, looks wonderful, I think I will try it next year. I think it's too late to start this now in NC.

I picked my first yellow squash today, looks really cute. I am still struggling with my plant that a lot of it falls off even thou I have been pollinating it by hand. Bees didn't find my garden yet. Any suggestion on how to attract bees?

What else can I plant now?
happehart, I'm the last person to ask for advice on when to plant in NC, I killed every plant I had when I lived in NC, so here's a link to an article on late spring veggies for NC

When to Plant Vegetables in North Carolina? | eHow.com

Good info in the article. I hope it helps

I can only hope that I get lucky (I so envy you) and get some summer squash in, I could eat zucchini every day of the week. Yum.

I'll see if I can find info on attracting bees. Though I won't have luck with the bee pollinating process since my patio is enclosed. May have to give up on certain veggies altogether if I'm not able to hand pollinate.

Last edited by TRosa; 05-27-2011 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Anyone plants peas? My sugar snap pea is coming up nicely.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:02 PM

Thank you TRose for the link.

Everyone, if you have any ideas on how to attract Bees, please chime in

Old 05-27-2011, 02:44 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Anyone plants peas? My sugar snap pea is coming up nicely.
Your sugar snap peas look great!

I planted some this year and they aren't doing well at all. No flowers yet - but it's been a cool, wet spring. Just last week I was still running my woodstove at night to ward off the chill. Today it's near 80! That can't be good for the plants!

Old 05-27-2011, 03:42 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Thank you TRose for the link.

Everyone, if you have any ideas on how to attract Bees, please chime in
Wear short skirts?

Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Wear short skirts?
But those are female bees.... so I think you'll need to put on some Old Spice

Sounds like male bees are nothing but bee-gigolos

Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 PM

Not exactly what I thought will attract bees but if someone else has better ideas with less skin exposure please share with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden