Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 08:04 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,550,180 times

Advertisements

Going to order the Improved variety of San Marzano tomato seed for the fall crop. Another week and the ones I have now will not be worth fooling with. The uncertainty as to where we will be moving to keeps me from making to many plans. I keep having flashbacks of that black MO soil...with everything from asparagus to zucchini. Ready sources of wheat straw for mulch and have a new Troybuilt tiller picked out. My patience is wearing thin... I see rounding the curve at Malta Bend in my sleep with coal black soil in the spring and tall dark green corn fields in July. Oh to be self sufficient again. Just have to buy local pork and beef. Rhode Island Reds will produce eggs and fertilizer along with another compost pile 8 feet in diameter. I can at least dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 08:16 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Going to order the Improved variety of San Marzano tomato seed for the fall crop. Another week and the ones I have now will not be worth fooling with. The uncertainty as to where we will be moving to keeps me from making to many plans. I keep having flashbacks of that black MO soil...with everything from asparagus to zucchini. Ready sources of wheat straw for mulch and have a new Troybuilt tiller picked out. My patience is wearing thin... I see rounding the curve at Malta Bend in my sleep with coal black soil in the spring and tall dark green corn fields in July. Oh to be self sufficient again. Just have to buy local pork and beef. Rhode Island Reds will produce eggs and fertilizer along with another compost pile 8 feet in diameter. I can at least dream.
I miss MO, too.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I did break down and use Sevin dust last night, just before dark. I too, have to use anything like that, but from time to time it is just necessary. This morning the bees were out in full swing, doing their job and appeared to be just fine. Of course the main things I use the Sevin on are the beans to control the beetles and the tomato plants to control whatever. The bees are doing what they do best around the squash, cukes and peppers.

Nita
I built my own high pressure sprayer with a small gas engine to spray Sevin with at dusk. I think I've said it before but if bears repeating. Seven in the morning kills bees and burns foliage. Timing with the right weather conditions mean everything. Read the warning label about timing and applications during heat and humidity. Wettable Sevin spray at dusk did the least damage to bean foliage and cantaloupe, cucumbers and squash. For those with large gardens of an acre or more Hypro builds a diaphragm pump that bolts directly to a special model Briggs and Stratton engine.. 25 gallon tank and your good to go on a small tailer behind the riding lawnmower. High pressure hoses are readily available coupled with a Hypro spray gun. Same outfit can be used to apply organic oil sprays for mites, thrips, and aphids. The hardest thing I've found to control is fungus. That worries me. the good stuff got taken off the market so now I don't know what to use. Best choice is to plant resistant varieties. Wilt resistant tomatoes along with nematode resistance is a smart move. There is an organic solution for nematode. Good nematode. They eat the bad ones. Hard to grow field peas and okra without it. Maybe I an get a photo of that old sprayer. Gave it to my late FIL. It may still be around. Also some links for parts.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:55 PM

492 posts, read 630,566 times
Looks like the squirrels have been picking our green tomatoes. Fried squirrel for supper. Good with gravy and tomatoes.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,764,878 times
You guys are making me hungry with all this talk of fresh veges!

Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM

A sampling of this mornings harvest;

Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
geeze, have a few tomatoes will you? We are getting grape tomatoes and small romas daily but our slicing tomatoes just are not getting ripe yet. My mouth is watering as I watch them grow. One of them is an hairloom that survived the worm investation.

Now, for you, master gardeners or want a bes, I have a problem and no idea what it is causing it: As I said, my cherry, plus and grape guys are doing fine, but the leaves on many of them have turned brown and dried up. I think they are getting enough water, I just don't have a clue what is causing this? All the years I have been growing tomatoes I have never seen my leaves turn. I have had bugs, worms, etc but not brown leaves everywhere and only on the area with a few tomatoes. The other side is fine.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
geeze, have a few tomatoes will you? We are getting grape tomatoes and small romas daily but our slicing tomatoes just are not getting ripe yet. My mouth is watering as I watch them grow. One of them is an hairloom that survived the worm investation.

Now, for you, master gardeners or want a bes, I have a problem and no idea what it is causing it: As I said, my cherry, plus and grape guys are doing fine, but the leaves on many of them have turned brown and dried up. I think they are getting enough water, I just don't have a clue what is causing this? All the years I have been growing tomatoes I have never seen my leaves turn. I have had bugs, worms, etc but not brown leaves everywhere and only on the area with a few tomatoes. The other side is fine.
This is the best year I have ever had for tomatoes out here, so I am just grateful to have an abundance, you know?
As far as your brown leaves, are they happening on the bottom of the vines, or at the top?
Are the edges of the leaves turning brown first, or are they just going all at once?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
OK. San Marzano seed get ordered tonight.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
OK. San Marzano seed get ordered tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden