Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 06:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Well, after seeing rabbits galore in our yard, I erected some netting over our raised bed - hope it keeps pests out - at least the furry mammal type.

I want to keep things very natural. So far I haven't had a problem with too many bugs, though something did gnaw some on my jalapeno plant leaves. What are your recommendations for bug control? Would food grade diatomaceous earth be effective enough for most things like snails, slugs, aphids, that sort of thing? Should I wait to see evidence of these pests, or should I be proactive? This is my first "real" vegetable garden and I have some little peppers and little tomatoes and I am feeling very protective of them!
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-new-raised-vegetable-bed-2017.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 06:53 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
put them in a bucket of sudsy water and drown them ...much better than squashing them .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Or toss them way out into the yard, far away from the tomato plants, where they will make a tasty treat for the birds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
There is one guaranteed way to kill hornworms. Wooden blocks A and B. Put worm on block A and smash with block B. Totally organic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"There is one guaranteed way to kill hornworms. Wooden blocks A and B. Put worm on block A and smash with block B. Totally organic".....my method is to use scissors and cut 'em in two.
Thanks for all the ideas! I'll keep y'all posted.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:56 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
If there is an interest in the main ways to prune vining or indeterminate tomatoes I'll post before, during, and after pruning some. There are multiple ways and what suits one variety is not always the best for others. Tomatoes are bread for more traits than the fruit itself. From botany it is a fruit. From a crazy court it became classified as a veggie.
I would love to learn that. Last year my tomato plants were over 6 feet tall and they were way too crazy. They are off to a good start this year so I will need to top them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Is he using limbs off his trees for staking his tomatoes ? wow that is awesome if he is . I also go to the dollar store and buy 1.00 pairs of panty hose to tie my tomatoe up with . panty hose expand when the stem expands and it does not cut into the stem of the tomatoe plant .
Yup...those work

Quote:
I'm hearing the distant drums of the tomato hornworms. At least in my head... I know they are coming. I can feel them.
No....I'm actually hoping the stink bugs stay away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
You got me to thinkin. In all the years I've grown maters, I can't say as I've ever come across a hornworm. (scratches head)
I've only had one and had no idea what it was, lol. They are very cool looking though.

Well at least I know "how" to get rid of hornworms, lol.

My garden is doing well so far. Lots of rain this year so we'll see what happens. My spinach already bolted so I planted some more. Lettuce is doing great. I have small yellow squash and tiny cukes so far. No flowers on my tomatoes but they look healthy and happy.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:14 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

I've only had one and had no idea what it was, lol. They are very cool looking though.

Well at least I know "how" to get rid of hornworms, lol.

My garden is doing well so far. Lots of rain this year so we'll see what happens. My spinach already bolted so I planted some more. Lettuce is doing great. I have small yellow squash and tiny cukes so far. No flowers on my tomatoes but they look healthy and happy.
I think the fact that they are so pretty is part of what makes squashing them so horrible. I'm also just a big wimp.

I have been plagued by them other years I've grown tomatoes, sometimes a couple of them would eat half a mature plant before I noticed. Rap wood, I haven't seen one yet this year.

I miss my lettuce still. Way too hot. I've got nice little Tumbling Tiger tomatoes, and am starting to get Anaheim chiles. The parsley, mint, thyme, and basil are thriving. I don't know what to plant where I dug up the potatoes. The guide I found online says I could plant tomatoes for a fall harvest, but do they mean more transplants? Seeds? I'm not that good at growing tomatoes, these tumbling tigers are apparently "Tomatoes for Dummies."

http://agrilife.org/urbantarranthort...rth_Texas1.pdf

Old 06-15-2017, 03:54 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Hornworms can be best picked off at night when they really come out to feed. Flashlight is a friend along with a mini guillotine.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:00 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
I would love to learn that. Last year my tomato plants were over 6 feet tall and they were way too crazy. They are off to a good start this year so I will need to top them.
Depending on the rains I may start pruning some tomorrow. Pruning gives bigger tomatoes but there is a more advanced way that leaves part of the sucker to give shade and help prevent sunburn on the tomato. It's not rocket science. Tomatoes that grow very tall can be allowed to grow up and back down. Some of those greenhouse tomatoes can reach a length of 20' where frost does not kill them. What I need to work on for next year is a structure to keep rain off of the plant itself.

As for stink bugs, Public Enemy #2. Where I've lived either kill them or plant enough plants to produce 4 tomatoes for them and one for you.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Depending on the rains I may start pruning some tomorrow. Pruning gives bigger tomatoes but there is a more advanced way that leaves part of the sucker to give shade and help prevent sunburn on the tomato. It's not rocket science. Tomatoes that grow very tall can be allowed to grow up and back down. Some of those greenhouse tomatoes can reach a length of 20' where frost does not kill them. What I need to work on for next year is a structure to keep rain off of the plant itself.

As for stink bugs, Public Enemy #2. Where I've lived either kill them or plant enough plants to produce 4 tomatoes for them and one for you.

If you do some pruning I would love to see a few step by step pictures(for the novice here). Thank you.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:17 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Depending on the rains I may start pruning some tomorrow. Pruning gives bigger tomatoes ..

Quote:
If you do some pruning I would love to see a few step by step pictures(for the novice here). Thank you.

You guys are lucky and able to do that because your growing season is longer than mine plus warmer.. I tried with peppers and it was a lost cause. Not enough heat and time for them to come back and produce like the ones I left alone. I do prune Tomato plants though but not the suckers or tops. The suckers produce tomatoes.

ylisa7, just YouTube a video of it. Videos better than pics for explanations.

Quote:

Ever since planting Radishes I've seen a reduction in them. Try that near some plants.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:52 AM

Cambium- Radishes for stink bugs? I will have to try that. We seem to get more and more in the area each year. So far they come in around the Fall.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:01 AM

Some pictures as I have been experimenting with my garden.
My safely enclosed garden

Here is a picture from one month ago when I planted:

One month later, June 15:

The tomato plants on the black plastic are a foot taller than the ones in the straw. The yellow squash is also looking very healthy.

My cukes:

And my pole beans...I have one slow poke:

Everything looks pretty healthy....knock on wood. So far it has made it through some heavy downpours, hail, and heavy winds. Mother Nature sure can be rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden