Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times

Advertisements

Weeded my garden this morning before it got over 100 degrees. Everything doing well, squash plants huge and full of blossoms, tomatoes no two to three feet tall and full of blossoms, and I have peppers ready to pick but the rabbits ate all of my kale, romaine lettuce and spinach. Oh well..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:35 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Weeded my garden this morning before it got over 100 degrees. Everything doing well, squash plants huge and full of blossoms, tomatoes no two to three feet tall and full of blossoms, and I have peppers ready to pick but the rabbits ate all of my kale, romaine lettuce and spinach. Oh well..
I hope they at least said, "Thank you"!

Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Now prune that runaway spaghetti squash.
First time growing it in a container I have a garden box like this on the patio it is taking over has 17 squash on it! Transplanting the peppers into other containers tomorrow.

OK can't get a photo to show up it is a Gronomics Elevated Garden Bed 34x48x32 - 10"D
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If enough come at once at least I will be able to can them or make salsa or tomato sauce. I just hate it when there are too many to eat and not enough to do anything else with.
blanch the whole cored tomato, peel then freeze them single layer on a cookie sheet. Once frozen put them in a zip freezer bag, thaw them out & add to the next group of tomatoes when you have a batch worth to can.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:36 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,574,375 times
Saw the first stink bug yesterday. He got away before I could grab & smash. Tomatoes will yield at least 3 today. 1 jetstar and 2 San Marzano. Bacon already prepared.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:40 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
My first time trials. Poblano pepper, San Marzano tomatos, Brandywine tomatoes.
Looking good! Interesting shape on the Marzanos. Never grew them before. Looks like a sauce type tomato like Romas. Brandywines are awesome.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:42 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Jackpot! A neighbor was mowing his lawn and dumping his grass into a garbage can. I couldn't believe it because nobody bags anymore around here. Lucky me!! I asked if he was using it for anything, he said no. So my compost pile now has grass clippings.

I'll be turning this soon.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Jackpot! A neighbor was mowing his lawn and dumping his grass into a garbage can. I couldn't believe it because nobody bags anymore around here. Lucky me!! I asked if he was using it for anything, he said no. So my compost pile now has grass clippings.

I'll be turning this soon.

Good idea. I got grass clippings by the truck loads in the 70's. Only one bad lesson learned. Make sure no weed control product is fresh in the clippings. I used some fresh ones to mulch sweet peas with and killed the row. Should have composted maybe. Then again.... This fall I'm going to offer free bags to anyone who will give me there yard leaves. There are rules here about leaf disposal. I won't compost but will till them in and let them compost that way. They are acidic so I'll add some lime. Years ago the first MO garden was small enough we maintained a pile about 10' in diameter using field fence to support it to 4' high. Covered with a tarp. Turned it the hard way. Wet it as needed. No more like that. My feeble mind is in research mode on soil building to use organic matter in a strip that we can use to fill some kind of raised beds with for low growing crops. The two of us have so little veggie waste I bury it to keep bad bugs from using it as a breeding ground.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:04 AM

A broad open daylight raid by Bambi's mom at 10:45 this morning. Her udder shows she is nursing. How does summer sausage go along with sweetcorn and lima beans?

Proven Guilty: She's grazing the Roma II flat beans in full bloom.

Escaped before I........

Old 07-12-2017, 03:30 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
oh poor thing I feel so sorry for them when there is not enough food for them to keep hidden . mom used to chase them off with a broom she would never shoot them she said there was no reason too .

Old 07-12-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oh poor thing I feel so sorry for them when there is not enough food for them to keep hidden . mom used to chase them off with a broom she would never shoot them she said there was no reason too .
Around us there are millions of acres of food. I think they like easy pickings. I planted apples for them. I went out and looked at the bean damage. 4 legged lawnmower. Did find some tiny beans so I know bees found them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden