Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,147 times

Advertisements

Looks like everyone is in the waiting stage of planting. That must mean we're all out weeding. Yeah! NOT! I can not keep up! Now we have so much rain and cold that I can't even go out to do that. So instead, I check back here daily and feel all alone.

Last edited by flik_becky; 07-17-2009 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 01:03 AM

559 posts, read 2,115,405 times
Loved, loved, loved this thread! The one thing that I am excited about this year is that we have our first apple on our young apple tree that we planted about 5 years ago. It is half Jonathan and half Red Delicious. There were several blossoms but only one apple is growing that I can see, and I am watching it very carefully.

Anyone else grow any fruit trees? We have that apple tree as well as a weeping crabapple tree (that is loaded with crabapples!). Anyone know what to do with crabapples? Can't you make jelly out of them or something?

Our strawberries are gone now, but our wild blackberries are developing nicely.

I still am not sure how to vegetable garden here in the Pacific NW, but I have been able to grow herbs, potatoes, tomatoes, and onions. I tried beans, but those didn't do so well. Being from SC, I am used to longer growing seasons, I think.

Anyway, I really, really enjoy this thread and hope we get one that will show the different states (or maybe just different regions) and how to grow things appropriately in that area. So many folks come to City-Data because they are new to their area, and gardening varies throughout the country. It would be a great idea....

Old 07-18-2009, 06:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Good morning. I can't let you guys be here all alone. I have been picking a couple of things each day. I have beans, cukes, yellow squash, and zucchini. I have little green tomatoes everywhere and can't wait for them to turn red.

Here is a picture of my zucchini plant that I thought wasn't going to make it. Next year I am planting one in it's own garden. This thing is a monster, lol.

Brightcopperkettles- Congrats on your apple tree. I have never stayed in one place for 5 years but I would love to have more fruit trees. We have wild blackberries which I need to learn how or what to cut back. We also have about 100 apple trees on our land. We have new ones popping up every year because the cows "transfer" the seeds all over, lol.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:42 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,075 times
My blueberry bush is doing wonderfully this year. I have more than enough to add to my oat bran in the morning and for a protein smoothie at night! I have so many that I'm not even covering it - let the Jays take a few too. I have enough to share!

I also got my first cherry tomatoes. Oh, I forgot how good a homegrown tomato tasted! I need to put more in next year. I think I want to to try that square foot gardening method and build a trellis behind it like they described in the book. I didn't try it this year as I had high hopes I'd be moving, but the economy had other plans! Anyone try a SFG with a trellis for tomatoes?

And a special hi to flik_becky! Don't feel lonely, we're here!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,448,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
Looks like everyone is in the waiting stage of planting. That must mean we're all out weeding. Yeah! NOT! I can not keep up! Now we have so much rain and cold that I can't even go out to do that. So instead, I check back here daily and feel all alone.
Yes, I'm definitely in the waiting stage. Just nothing to brag about yet , except lettuces.

Definitely, this year is colder and wetter... To look at it as glass half-full, at least the garden has water. Last two summers were basically droughts. People's wells dried up, and we were going to a state park to take showers Amazingly, things grew nevertheless. They are growing now, too, only at a slower rate because of the cold.

Weeds - meh. I have long beds and the weeds are growing mostly in the paths between the beds. I used to fight with them, or used to put newspapers with hay on top in the paths, but not this year. I will weed on the beds themselves, but without the righteousness and fervor like before. Everything will grow. These hanging fogs seem to infuse and fatten the plants and it's just a matter of time for them to start bearing fruit.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,137,983 times
picked yellow squash, still got some snow peas, lots onions, & gonna work on the basil & mint leaves today..

Old 07-18-2009, 09:49 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times
Too bad I don't like tomatos ...

my harvest this morning

Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,419 times
Default Help, my tomatoes are "popping"

My grape tomatoes are popping open! Just as they are turning from orange to red, they begin to weep and then split their side. My SuperSweet 100s are covered with sugar seeking ants and I'm trying to pick the tomatoes as fast as I can.

i know larger tomatoes can split and crack from inconsistent watering, but i've been keeping up with keeping the tomatoes watered consistently.

What should I do?

Old 07-18-2009, 04:31 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times
Hi veggie folks! I've been canning green beans and pickles, plus that dreaded weeding. But it has died down since we got a good cushion of straw between the rows now. Tomatoes are still green if we ever get to see the sun with some heat there will be a bushel of them ready at once.

A friend has been giving us a few tomatoes are his ripened before mine but he is picking them too early. They taste like hot house ones and have very tough skins. Farmer's Almanac says if our veggies skin is thick or tough look for a very cold winter. We curious to see if we get bitter cold this year.

With all these cool temps we had in the spring and now summer it wouldn't surprize me if I wake up on Christmas morn to 80º here in Indiana.

cstleddy I was going to say watering is causing your tomatoes to split but seems you have kept a steady watch on that. Hopefully another gardener will chime in.

YLisa at least you are finding out what plants need more space next time. Your plant looks very heathly WTG I knew you could do it!

Old 07-18-2009, 05:39 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times
Hi everybody, I've been sweating in the garden all afternoon.

I sure wish I had some tomatoes other than marble sized green ones, now that my basil is finally ready. (It was really slow this year for some reason)

I planted two more purple/green curly basils to go along with the pot of Sweet Italian I already had.

My big cucumber vines died, but I still have a little way in an out of the way corner living. I'm not sure it gets enough sun but we'll see.

All the leaves fell off one of my chile pepper plants and there is white powder on the stems. What did they get? Can I save the one still growing next door?

I guess so far all I've harvested are a bunch of herbs, 6 habaneros , and 5-6 gypsy peppers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden